Honey&Bee

Employment on a K1 Visa

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone! I was just wondering...

I passed my interview yesterday, and THIS HAS TOTALLY BEEN THE BEST THING! :dance:

On to the bonuses... Today, I asked permission from the company that I will be leaving soon, June 14, and they were okay with me, not rendering 30-day notice as long as our client ~ US Company - is okay.. This US company is on the same location as my fiance - and is actually the company that my fiance is working for, LOL, that's how we met :D

Just had the meeting tonight, our client still WANTS me to work for them, and I informed them of the limitation for the K-1 visa :dance: Looks like they think I'm an asset, hihihi :blush: Our management here and client's upper management are trying to come up with an arrangement for that, and I am sure that it's okay that as long as I am technically working for my company here (local) until such time that I will be allowed to work for a US company, that will be okay, but I wanted to post here too.

Is this okay? Or would this be any violation? :star:

Hope to hear from anyone soon, and thanks for your responses :)

God speed everyone.

Edited by Honey&Bee

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

If you are talking about coming to the US on the K1 and working remotely for your current employer then no it probably won't be ok. You will still be in the US and working prior to having your AOS. It doesn't matter where your employer is, what generally counts for labor laws is where you are. I think the feds will see this as trying to skirt the immigration and irs laws so you need to be very very careful. If you will eventually work for the new company, maybe volunteering at the new company in the interim will be an option. Again. just have to be very careful that you don't inadvertently violate some law or even give the impression you are trying to skirt the law.

Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Guangzhou, China
Marriage (if applicable): 2010-04-26
I-130 Sent : 2010-06-01
I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-08
I-130 RFE : 2010-11-05
I-130 RFE Sent : 2010-11-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-11-10
NVC Received CaseFile: 2010-11-16
NVC Casefile Number Issued: 2010-11-22
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-11-23
OPTIN EMAIL SENT TO NVC: 2010-11-23
OPTIN ACCEPTED by NVC: 2010-12-14
Pay I-864 Bill 2010-11-23
Receive I-864 Package : 2010-11-23
Return Completed I-864 : 2011-03-30
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-11-23
Receive IV Bill : 2010-12-17
Pay IV Bill : 2011-03-16
AOS CoverSheets Generated: 2010-11-27
IV Fee Bill marked as PAID: 2011-03-18
IV CoverSheets Generated: 2011-03-18
IV email packet sent: 2011-04-4
NVC reports 'Case Completed': 2011-5-2
'Sign in Fail' at the Online Payment Portal: 2011-5-2
Final Review Started at NVC: 2011-5-2
Final Review Completed at NVC: ????
Interview Date Set: 2011-5-5
Appointment Letter Received via Email: 2011-5-6
Interview Date: 2011-6-1
Approved!!!!!

I-751 Sent : 2013-07-02

I-751 Bio Appointment Date 2013-08-02

10 Year Green Card Approved!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Once you file for AOS, EAD, and AP after marriage, it will take about 2-3 months to get your EAD. Then once you have that, you are free to work.....

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

The gap of time for K1ers to be work authorized is one reason some folks choose the spousal visa route. It's one of the things that should be considered up front.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I would get some legal advice on this. People come to the USA on vacation or business all the time and either conduct business meetings or work remotely while vacationing. It's legal. I was hired by a Canadian company in 2000. Many times people from Canada would fly down to work with me, go to meetings etc. No issues. Not saying what the OP wants to do is OK. I don't know. Just saying go with the legal advice. The company trying to work something out, will surely seek legal counsel on the matter. Go with what they work out or don't work out. Our opinions on this matter really don't count.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I can only say what I know was given to my friend (who just went though this w/ her laywer)

You can work for your FOREIGN employer still. I know he is still paid in GBP into his British bank account.

Once he gets his EAD, he is legally allowed to work for the company here in the US and be paid in USD.

Hi everyone! I was just wondering...

I passed my interview yesterday, and THIS HAS TOTALLY BEEN THE BEST THING! :dance:

On to the bonuses... Today, I asked permission from the company that I will be leaving soon, June 14, and they were okay with me, not rendering 30-day notice as long as our client ~ US Company - is okay.. This US company is on the same location as my fiance - and is actually the company that my fiance is working for, LOL, that's how we met :D

Just had the meeting tonight, our client still WANTS me to work for them, and I informed them of the limitation for the K-1 visa :dance: Looks like they think I'm an asset, hihihi :blush: Our management here and client's upper management are trying to come up with an arrangement for that, and I am sure that it's okay that as long as I am technically working for my company here (local) until such time that I will be allowed to work for a US company, that will be okay, but I wanted to post here too.

Is this okay? Or would this be any violation? :star:

Hope to hear from anyone soon, and thanks for your responses :)

God speed everyone.

K1 Journey
11/2006...... met for the first time on a night out in London!
11/25/07..... I moved to the UK on a work visa to be with him 🙂
02/27/09..... he proposed!
08/30/10..... sent I-129F
09/02/10..... NOA1
01/27/11..... NOA2 (147 DAYS from NOA1)
03/22/11..... INTERVIEW! (201 DAYS from NOA1) - APPROVED! --> Read the review here!
03/25/11..... visa received!!!
06/09/11..... POE LAX!! --> Read the review here!

AOS Journey
07/22/11.... SSN received
08/27/11.... our wonderful wedding!!
09/23/11.... sent AOS package
09/25/11.... AOS package delivered in Chicago (7:33 p.m.)
10/10/11.... AP rejection letter, refiled 10/17
10/11/11.... NOA1 received via text & email (AOS + EAD only)
10/15/11.... hard copies of NOA1 for AOS + EAD received (dated 10/7)
10/17/11.... refiled AP
10/18/11.... successful biometrics walk-in, Santa Ana, CA (appt for 11/1)
10/20/11.... NOA1 for AP
12/12/11.... call in to USCIS. Told to call back after 12/26.
12/23/11.... I-765 approved

02/1/12...... Interview
02/02/12.... Approved!
02/10/12.... Hubby's GC in hand!

ROC Journey

12/09/13.... sent I-751 to CSC

12/10/13.... package delivered / NOA1

12/12/13.... cheque cashed

01/06/14.... biometrics

04/18/14.... approval letter dated (received 4/22)

Naturalization Journey

09/29/22.... filed N-400 online

09/30/22... NOA/biometrics reuse

01/23/23... interview scheduled for 02/28 

02/28/23... successful interview + oath ceremony in Santa Ana, CA! so proud! certificate of naturalization received! --> Read the review here!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I can only say what I know was given to my friend (who just went though this w/ her laywer)

You can work for your FOREIGN employer still. I know he is still paid in GBP into his British bank account.

Once he gets his EAD, he is legally allowed to work for the company here in the US and be paid in USD.

Yes, that is what we were thinking, I will still be paid with the same currency, from the same company I am currently be working for here in the Philippines, but once I get my EAD, they will absorb me and be paid USD and I will technically resign from my company here..

Thanks everyone for your input. They are working on it, and whatever the outcome is really just bonus for us - being together is the ultimate GOAL and TRIUMPH :star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.