caljjs

Living Together / Employment

8 posts in this topic

A few questions...

1. If you are not living together at the time of the application, but plan on moving in together very soon, is this an issue? How do you get around this.

2. My wife is currently "unemployed", but earned 6-figures for the past 10 years. She is in the process of starting a new business. Will this be an issue? Her tax returns show large annual incomes, and she has substantial savings. Should we just put down she is unemployed on the form, as she is currently collecting unemployment, about $400 per week. She is definitely above the poverty line.

3. Can I submit the I-131 and I-485 concurrently while I am still in status, on an F1 student visa. It expires July 12, 2011, so time is ticking.

Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

2. My wife is currently "unemployed", but earned 6-figures for the past 10 years. She is in the process of starting a new business. Will this be an issue? Her tax returns show large annual incomes, and she has substantial savings. Should we just put down she is unemployed on the form, as she is currently collecting unemployment, about $400 per week. She is definitely above the poverty line.

Thanks!

Past income doesn't really count. It is about current income. Unemployment is temporary and will not count as it will end. The substantial savings may play a part, but it gets really confusing as to how much etc... I do not know much about that part.

Good Luck

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Timeline

Please.... This is the US Govt. They put our Social Security number in and they can see everything about us. How much taxes were paid last month, the month before... They already have the answers to the questions they ask. We just have to jump through the legal hoops. Should she "not tell" that would be committing fraud and then you have a very serious problem on your hand.

It is about the "current income" or, more complicated, proving that you have enough assets to meet the criteria that is way more complicated than I can explain.

I can't advise past what I have posted as this is beyond my knowledge... But I do know that one never misrepresents the facts with the US Gov't. Big NO NO.....

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Timeline

Will they know she is unemployed, are they able to check that? Would it be best if she just say's she is self-employed, and provide 3 years of tax returns?

One other thought... Where do the unemployment checks come from???

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

*** not a K-3 visa topic, moving to AOS/work/student/tourist forum ***

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

1 will be an issue, it is definitely a red flag but it depends on your reason and what other proof you have of bonafide marriage (joint lease and bills, on eachother's life insurance, joint accounts etc).

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

A few questions...

1. If you are not living together at the time of the application, but plan on moving in together very soon, is this an issue? How do you get around this.

3. Can I submit the I-131 and I-485 concurrently while I am still in status, on an F1 student visa. It expires July 12, 2011, so time is ticking.

Thanks!

You can use savings exclusively without having to show income IF you meet the minimum, depending on the size of your household and the state you live in. Neither my wife nor I work and we haven't done so in ten years or so - we simply submitted a copy of an account that had the required amount in it. No problem.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.