ao_cons

Can spouse join applicant for biometrics?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I got a notice for the 10th this month. Can my husband and baby come with me to the CIS office? I called and asked about this but the girl couldn't give me an answer. What's been your experience?

--------------

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I got a notice for the 10th this month. Can my husband and baby come with me to the CIS office? I called and asked about this but the girl couldn't give me an answer. What's been your experience?

When I had my biometrics done in Atlanta, my hubby the usc had to wait outside, it may depend on the location.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

The first time (for AOS) I was allowed in with my wife and stepdaughter. The next time (for ROC) I was not allowed in the building. I do know they were very crowded the second time, so it may depend on how busy it is.

ANDY & MARICAR

N-400 Timeline

05/14/2012 - Mailed N-400 packet to Dallas/Lewisville Lockbox via Priority Mail.

05/21/2012 - NOA1

06/12/2012 - Biometrics

06/29/2012 - Interview Notice

08/06/2012 - Naturalization Interview in OKC PASSED!!!!!!!

09/28/2012 - OATH CEREMONY!!!!!!!

U.S. CITIZEN!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My husband had no issue sitting in the waiting room when I did biometrics for AOS.

Timeline

I have another question.

What kinds of questions do they ask in the form you fill out? I'm kinda nervous because they might not let my spouse in with me!

Also how early do I have to be? My app time is 3pm. Should I come 30 min early? 1 hour?

--------------

What kinds of questions do they ask in the form you fill out? I'm kinda nervous because they might not let my spouse in with me!

It's a fairly painless procedure if you know what to expect. You must take a government-issued ID (your expired GC is ideal, or DL, etc) and your appointment letter. You will likely be asked to show your ID at each stage of the appointment. First you're given a form which asks for basic info. Off the top of my head, it asks for:

I-751 receipt number (it's on the bio appointment notice), full name, address, date of birth, country of birth and country of citizenship, A-number, SSN (doesn't matter if you can't remember it as I found out :blush:), height, weight, eye and hair colour and stuff like that.

Once you give that back, you take a seat and wait to be called to be fingerprinted and photographed. They ask you to verify that the info on the computer screen is correct, then it's fingerprints. It's a bit cumbersome, they take them in lots of different ways and each finger is scanned multiple times. Finally they take a photo and that's it, you're done. It sounds like a lot but if they're working efficiently, it doesn't take long. I was in and out (of Atlanta ASC) in 15 minutes at most each time I've been.

Also how early do I have to be? My app time is 3pm. Should I come 30 min early? 1 hour?

Depends on the centre and the attitude of the security on the door. Hopefully somebody who's been to Seattle will give specific advice. Some will let you visit at any time before your appointment date if they have space, others will hold you to time to the minute. As somebody above mentioned, Atlanta office are very officious and won't let anybody in with you but others reportedly will. Atlanta once made me wait outside for 10 minutes because I was early - that was when I did bio for AOS but last time for ROC a few months ago, they let me in 30 minutes early. They will probably also insist that you don't take anything in with you apart from ID and the appointment notice. That includes cell phones, purses, bags, etc so it's best just to leave them in the car.

Adjustment of Status from K-1 (Very abridged version)

05/20/08 - POE: Chicago O'Hare

07/18/08 - Married

08/30/08 - I-485/I-765 mailed...

03/17/09 - Card production ordered (no notification received!)

03/26/09 - Green card received (196 days)

Removal of Conditions

02/15/11 - I-751 mailed to VSC...

02/22/11 - NOA1 (received 03/03/11)

04/04/11 - Biometrics appt (notice received 03/19/11)

08/22/11 - * * * t u m b l e w e e d s * * * (T+6 months and counting)

09/20/11 - Service Request #1

10/26/11 - Service Request #2

11/29/11 - Interview @ Atlanta Field Office - Approved & I-551 stamped

12/07/11 - Card production ordered

12/10/11 - Green card received (293 days)

Timeline

Okay. Thanks JeremyR. I'm glad it's not complicated! But yes I'm wondering about going TOO early especially when you have a toddler with you (like we will), so I'll probably end up going in there by myself and having my husband and baby wait outside. Hoping to hear from someone in the Seattle area. If not, I'll be the first to report and hopefully a good one!

--------------

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.