wizzard166

Spouse Abuse (Removing Conditions Without Spouse Consent )

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm seeking help for a friend of ours. My wife will be here two years as of this July, and in the last quarter of the year we will file for removal of conditions on her Green Card. All is well and the community on Visa Journey was wonderful in helping us to get where we are. Unfortunately my wife's co worker is in a horrible situation, and she is talking about running away. If anyone can help us understand what she needs to do, we would be grateful.

Lori is a Filipina who also arrived on a Fiance Visa, and there is about one year left on the two years it takes to remove the conditions. Lori is regularly emotionally abused by her husband, and it seems he is following a pattern that led to his first divorce. He curses, screams, throws things, and basically tries to use her as a physical slave. He orders her to mow the lawn, wash his car, run errands, etc. About the only thing he doesnt do is relate to her as a loving husband, and Lori is at wits end. My wife works full time as a home health aide, and Lori (who is an RN in the Philippines)is working part time weekends as a home health aide to relieve my wife. I've heard the stories from the beginning about a year ago, I have met Lori, and I'm totally confident of the validity of the stories. The poor woman is at wits end, and the other day told my wife she is thinking of running away.

I think there is a way for Lori to leave her husband and wait for the time conditions can be removed, but I don't know how to advise her properly. When looking at the form my wife and I will have to complete for removal of conditions, I noticed there is a section for spouses who are filing without their husbands consent based on abuse. I don't know if Lori can apply for conditions to be removed prior to the two years, if she must wait for the two years and then use this request to apply seperately from the husband, if she must file for a legal seperation or divorce first, or what she must do. She doesnt have the money for an attorney.

Please help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

She will need evidence to file ROC - VAWA

Police reports etc.

You can find some info on VAWA in the effects of major family changes section http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/127-effects-of-major-family-changes-on-immigration-benefits/

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm seeking help for a friend of ours. My wife will be here two years as of this July, and in the last quarter of the year we will file for removal of conditions on her Green Card. All is well and the community on Visa Journey was wonderful in helping us to get where we are. Unfortunately my wife's co worker is in a horrible situation, and she is talking about running away. If anyone can help us understand what she needs to do, we would be grateful.

Lori is a Filipina who also arrived on a Fiance Visa, and there is about one year left on the two years it takes to remove the conditions. Lori is regularly emotionally abused by her husband, and it seems he is following a pattern that led to his first divorce. He curses, screams, throws things, and basically tries to use her as a physical slave. He orders her to mow the lawn, wash his car, run errands, etc. About the only thing he doesnt do is relate to her as a loving husband, and Lori is at wits end. My wife works full time as a home health aide, and Lori (who is an RN in the Philippines)is working part time weekends as a home health aide to relieve my wife. I've heard the stories from the beginning about a year ago, I have met Lori, and I'm totally confident of the validity of the stories. The poor woman is at wits end, and the other day told my wife she is thinking of running away.

I think there is a way for Lori to leave her husband and wait for the time conditions can be removed, but I don't know how to advise her properly. When looking at the form my wife and I will have to complete for removal of conditions, I noticed there is a section for spouses who are filing without their husbands consent based on abuse. I don't know if Lori can apply for conditions to be removed prior to the two years, if she must wait for the two years and then use this request to apply seperately from the husband, if she must file for a legal seperation or divorce first, or what she must do. She doesnt have the money for an attorney.

Please help.

This may apply to this: Though I'm unfamiliar with it. It is for abused Spouses.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

She should get a divorce (better for her if he files so it's recognised in the Philippines) and file for ROC before her 90 day window. There's a lot of information about this. Emotional abuse is harder to prove so the divorce is the best route. She needs to move out if he's abusing her obviously. That's her first step. If he refuses to file for divorce then she'll need to try the VAWA route. It's very important that she tries SOMETHING before her GC expires.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.