Tyeger87

maybe in not understanding AP

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My fiance had his visa interview this morning and they said he was approved by he had to undergo "special administrative processing" that could take one week to 3 months. Now from what I have been hearing/reading people put in AP are not "approved" immediately but are usually given the 221(g) they undergo the processing and then they have another interview or find out if they they get the visa or not. Now my fiance did not get a 221(g) so I have no idea if this is AP that could take forever or simply a long process at the Embassy in Madagascar. I spoke to a consular officer on the phone and my fiance was the only one to interview today so they knew me and him without me telling him a word and he told me the same thing that he was approved and he will get the visa they just have to process some things first....anyone experience this? what is going on?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

The embassy may have given you a time frame but the processing could very well go out of that time frame (hopefully not!!!!) whether he got a 221g paper or not. I don't even know why they bother saying that given that AP is done when it is done.

As for the 221g paper, if the interview is fine and they are only doing namechecks that may be the reason he wasn't given it. The 221g is given to mark what more information is needed from the applicant to bring back to the embassy. In your fiance's case he just needs to be called back to the embassy. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree. No 221g means no additional information needed. This is all it means. On the other hand if they wanted to return petition to USCIS they would say that petition is denied. Judging from what you mentioned I think they are doign background check on your fiance.

thanks for clearing it up - i hope the background check goes quickly

its crazy that we are in AP they held us up at NVC saying we were in AP and they were doing background checks - how many checks are there?

i would think the US Goverment would be able to perform all necessary checks within 8 month period.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

thanks for clearing it up - i hope the background check goes quickly

its crazy that we are in AP they held us up at NVC saying we were in AP and they were doing background checks - how many checks are there?

i would think the US Goverment would be able to perform all necessary checks within 8 month period.

Actually, this only proves my point. Probably, last name of your fiance is identical to last name of some criminal and they are making sure that this is not him.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

At the interview they obtain a lot more information such as his finger prints and photos (facial recognition). These might have to be run through the databases also or checked to verify he is not some baddie with a similar name or alias. Frustrating-yes, necessary-probably, slow-certainly. Hang in there, it will be over before you know it.

At the interview they obtain a lot more information such as his finger prints and photos (facial recognition). These might have to be run through the databases also or checked to verify he is not some baddie with a similar name or alias. Frustrating-yes, necessary-probably, slow-certainly. Hang in there, it will be over before you know it.

thanks for the support :D

but my next question is what are the major differences in AP processing at embassies - i mean i see some embassies where they dont give u a decision they just put you in AP then you have to go back and they tell u if you were then approved or denied etc... is that standard practice?

Edited by Tyeger87

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

They should have either issued a 221g or an approval... They are required to provide the reason the visa was not issued, in writing... 221g's are given even if nothing additional is needed... it is an umbrella provision that allows them to say they have some reason not to issue the visa at that specific point in time...

AP usually involves some additional investigation either at the local level or at the state department level her in the US... AP can take from weeks to well over a year in some cases... there is nothing that can be done to speed things up, but an inquiry from your congressional rep shows that you are not just sitting by. The law prevents anyone from having any influence on the CO's decision.. this means that not even a congressman can make a CO do something...

MENA countries often get hit with the State Department level investigation... its all about the DHS anti-terrorism thing...if your name is the same as someone bad.. then they will make sure you are not the bad guy..

Dont let it get you down... It will get done when it gets done.. stay on them and keep checking on the case status with the DoS by phone.. they will give you a status report whenever you call... that way you will know if anything is actually happenening and when they finally make a move... 202-663-1225

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi I am in exactly the same situation, my interview was on April 20 2011 and i was told i was approved and i should get my passport back in 10 days with the brown envelope and i even paid extra for the courier service.

Ten days went by and i didnt receive anything so i called the embassy and they told me to email them after giving me a code that i have to use, anyway i emailed the embassy and they said that yes i was approved but my case is now going additional administrative processing and there is no time frame for this.

My wedding is booked for August 5th and im not sure if im going to make it. I asked them if they need additional info and they said if we do we will contact you.

So here i am just waiting and sitting for them to do what they have to do even though i was told i was approved.

I have just got my fiancee to write to her senator to see if that helps but i doubt it.

The best u can do is call the embassy to get a code so that u can email the consular and see what they tell you.

Where is your fiance/e originally from? what religion? does he have a typical Muslim name?

10/10/2010-------NOA1 and sent to California Service Center for processing

10/19/2010-------Check Cashed

10/21/2010-------NOA1 Hardcopy received

11/26/2010-------Touched

02/17/2011-------NOA2 email received from USCIS confirming approval

02/28/2011-------NVC Received

03/15/2011-------Left NVC forwarded to US consulate in UK after 15 days of AP

03/21/2011-------US Consulate receive paper work and logged

03/22/2011-------Packet 3 sent by US consulate

03/24/2011-------Packet 3 received from US Consulate

03/24/2011-------Packet 3 returned to Consulate

04/01/2011-------Packet 3 logged by Consulate

03/29/2011-------Medical booked

04/04/2011-------Packet 4 sent

04/09/2011 -------Packet 4 received

04/20/2011-------Interview APPROVED!!! :) 181 days from filing.

06/10/2011-------POE Chicago flight from LHR

AOS TIMELINE

06/10/2011------- entered USA

06/14/2011------- Applied for SSN#

06/24/2011 ------ Married in court prior to church wedding

06/30/2011------- filed AOS/EAD/AP

07/12/2011------- Received SSN#

09/06/2011------- AP and EAD approved

09/14/2011------- AP & EAD card received

10/06/2011------- AOS interview

ScottThuy- thats what am I worried about, we received no 221g but a verbal approval which is weird. Also, i specifically asked if they issued him any papers because last year when we tried to get a tourist visa in Cairo we got the 221g letter and stuff.

YNWA- Yes i think this is the reason. They gave him back his passport because he is not in his country of origin and cannot stay in Madagascar more than one more week. So they told him to take his passport and they will call him to come back to Madagascar to pick up his visa. My fiance is originally from Comoros and he is Muslim and i would say he has a muslim name - Ali Aboubacar Moussa

I just hope it goes buy quickly

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi I am in exactly the same situation, my interview was on April 20 2011 and i was told i was approved and i should get my passport back in 10 days with the brown envelope and i even paid extra for the courier service.

Ten days went by and i didnt receive anything so i called the embassy and they told me to email them after giving me a code that i have to use, anyway i emailed the embassy and they said that yes i was approved but my case is now going additional administrative processing and there is no time frame for this.

My wedding is booked for August 5th and im not sure if im going to make it. I asked them if they need additional info and they said if we do we will contact you.

So here i am just waiting and sitting for them to do what they have to do even though i was told i was approved.

I have just got my fiancee to write to her senator to see if that helps but i doubt it.

The best u can do is call the embassy to get a code so that u can email the consular and see what they tell you.

Where is your fiance/e originally from? what religion? does he have a typical Muslim name?

Not all consulates/embassies have the same communication proccess... UK is quite different than most... IN VN we can no longer call and my last email took a month to get a response...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.