DickandJane

K1 Process - After Entry to US

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Okay I wanna piggy back on this thread because it is related.

I too have filed a petition for my fiancee.

Once she enters we plan on marrying in court ASAP (in a couple of days).

We will apply for SSN afterwards.

Is there a proper process for this? I mean what name should go on the SS Card etc. I'm sure that once married, she will be taking my last name. I just don't want to make multiple trips to the Social Security Administration building.

Any ideas if my thinking has any issues?

Chigs

Thanks for the piggy-back. Very useful info!

Edited by Sarah and Jon

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

My fiancee will be coming to the US on June 1st. I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of the paperwork I need to file when she arrives. It is my understanding that after about 10 days we should file to get her a Social Security number (I believe this is an I-131). But what else needs to be filed prior to our marriage? Basically we would like for her to be able to work ASAP. So I guess the better question is: what are the steps that need to be taken to get her into a position where she can work legally once she has arrived?

And then after our marriage:

Same question - What needs to be filed? I have taken a look at the K1 flowchart but it doesn't mention some of the paperwork I have been informed I'll need to file, namely the I-765. It is my understanding that the I-485 is what I'll need to file after the marriage but I don't understand where the I-765 comes into play or if it does.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Susan and John,

Concerning 10 days after her arrival, if you chose to do so prior to getting married, you can go to the SSN office with your I-94 which shows she entered the country legally and other documentation such as the passport with the visa stamp etc and she can apply for her SSN card. However, you do not have to go this route.

THe other route, is that you get married. Then you can file the following forms with USCIS to do her adjustment of status which would allow her to request eligibility for her to work, become a legal resident etc:

I-485 - this is your adjustment of status

I-864 - Affidavit of support filled out by petitioner ( I am not sure if you can use the same one you submitted for the K-1 visa or not)

I-765 - Application for Employment

I-131 - Advance Parole for Travel, if this is approved (depends on how you fill out the form) she could be granted approval to travel 1x back to her home country or anywhere else for that matter and be allowed re-admittance into the United States. Do not travel anywhere outside of the United States until you have this document approved

G-325A - Biographis (Again I am not sure if you can use the same one submitted throughout the K-1 process)

G-1145 - E- Notification - this is if you want to be notified by txt or e-mail on the status of the Adjustment of Status

I would suggest however that you go to the USCIS web site and read about adjustment of status. The forms I mentioned above, not all have to be filed at the same time. For instance, you do not have to file for the I-131 now if you do not plan to travel outside of of the U.S for awhile.

Hope this is somewhat helpful. Thanks

event.png

Tuana and Kemal's Visa Journey

2010.07.10 We met

2010.10.28 First visit to meet in person

2010.10.31 We became engaged

2011.01.12 Second Visit with my Husband

2011.04.18 Third Visit with my Husband

2011.08.19 Married in Gaziantep Turkey, 4th Visit

2011.10.21 Visited with my Husband, 5th Visit

2011.11.22 SENT IN I-130 Application

2011.12.01 NOA1 Received

2012.02.16 Visited my Husband, 6th Visit

2012.05.08 NOA2 Received

2012.05.21 NVC Received

2012.07.02 Per NVC documents approved, waiting on interview date to be scheduled

2012.08.10 Visited my husband in Turkey, 7th Visit

2012.12.04 Visa Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I-864 - Affidavit of support filled out by petitioner ( I am not sure if you can use the same one you submitted for the K-1 visa or not)

G-325A - Biographis (Again I am not sure if you can use the same one submitted throughout the K-1 process)

If you're not sure about something please don't post. There is NO WAY the I-864 can be carried across from the K1 to AOS, the same applies to the G-325A because the person is no longer in their home country, there is sometimes a different last name, the marital status has changed. I appreciate you want to help but it creates unnecessary confusion.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

If you're not sure about something please don't post. There is NO WAY the I-864 can be carried across from the K1 to AOS, the same applies to the G-325A because the person is no longer in their home country, there is sometimes a different last name, the marital status has changed. I appreciate you want to help but it creates unnecessary confusion.

Hi I appreciate your response, but as you yourself stated in the above when referencing my quote, I did state that I was not sure concerning if the same docs can be carried over, however did provide the names of the documents that they would need, thus they can read the instructions. I do not appreciate anyone telling me if and when and what I can post as this is not your website or forum to make that call. I understand your point regarding confusion, but again that is why I clearly stated that I was not sure if the documents could be carried over or if new documents needed to be filled out. I did not just state that they could or could not utilize the same docs. This site was created so that people can try and assist eachother, and yes sometimes people make mistakes or provide mis-information, however I covered my bases by stating that I was not sure on the subject matter of carrying over the documents, only that I was providing the names or numbers of the different documents that would be required for the various situations they may want to apply for.

event.png

Tuana and Kemal's Visa Journey

2010.07.10 We met

2010.10.28 First visit to meet in person

2010.10.31 We became engaged

2011.01.12 Second Visit with my Husband

2011.04.18 Third Visit with my Husband

2011.08.19 Married in Gaziantep Turkey, 4th Visit

2011.10.21 Visited with my Husband, 5th Visit

2011.11.22 SENT IN I-130 Application

2011.12.01 NOA1 Received

2012.02.16 Visited my Husband, 6th Visit

2012.05.08 NOA2 Received

2012.05.21 NVC Received

2012.07.02 Per NVC documents approved, waiting on interview date to be scheduled

2012.08.10 Visited my husband in Turkey, 7th Visit

2012.12.04 Visa Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hi I appreciate your response, but as you yourself stated in the above when referencing my quote, I did state that I was not sure concerning if the same docs can be carried over, however did provide the names of the documents that they would need, thus they can read the instructions. I do not appreciate anyone telling me if and when and what I can post as this is not your website or forum to make that call. I understand your point regarding confusion, but again that is why I clearly stated that I was not sure if the documents could be carried over or if new documents needed to be filled out. I did not just state that they could or could not utilize the same docs. This site was created so that people can try and assist each other, and yes sometimes people make mistakes or provide mis-information, however I covered my bases by stating that I was not sure on the subject matter of carrying over the documents, only that I was providing the names or numbers of the different documents that would be required for the various situations they may want to apply for.

I understand you were trying to be helpful but it is NOT helpful. There are many non-english speakers on this board and they are more vulnerable to misunderstandings and you posting "don't know if you can send the one from the K1" can read to them as "don't worry you sent it with the K1". I know you didn't INTEND it that way but that's how it can read. If you don't know for sure (which you stated you don't) then don't post. It really is that simple. I know that sounds mean but you yourself said that sometimes people post misinformation and this is playing with peoples lives and status. You shouldn't be so blasé about it. Just because others are wrong doesn't mean it's okay if you are too.

I understand you were trying to be helpful but it would have been more helpful to link the guides, or the forms. It would be like me saying "You're allowed to drive without a motorcycle helmet - check the laws though because I'm not sure". It's a completely pointless statement because if I'm not sure I shouldn't be talking about it. You haven't AOS'd yet, you haven't even got your K1 yet and I'm sure you're reading into AOS but your statements show you don't have enough of an idea to give advice on the topic so it would be best you read a bit more and be SURE of what you post to avoid being one of the people that more knowledgeable members have to clean up after (and sometimes they don't get there in time and the damage is done).

To correct you again, you SHOULD file the I-131 at the same time as I-485. While it is entirely possible to file it afterward (as long as your AOS hasn't been approved and you must include the NOA1 in order to have the fee waived), it is irresponsible of you to say "don't apply for it till you need it" because it usually takes 2 months to get. A friend of mine applied for emergency AP due to an impending death in the family. She was approved the emergency AP but didn't receive the AP until the day of the funeral making it completely useless. You should also tick the multiple entries on the form (per the example documents). People will read your advice and take it literally, not how you THINK it sounds and to me you said "don't apply for AP unless you need it". The whole point of AP is emergency travel (though others use it for holidays), waiting till an emergency could mean it wouldn't arrive in time.

Also, the G-1145 ONLY sends you a text when your AOS (and EAD and AP) is received and an NOA1 generated, that's it. You will not get continuous updates thanks to the G-1145. For that you would need to register on the USCIS site and sign up for email/text updates for each case using the case numbers for each forms.

I'm sorry you felt offended but I was offended that you would give someone incorrect advice. You said it wasn't incorrect, it still needed clarification making it not correct.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.