InnaV

J1 marriage experience

12 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello. I am new to this site and have some questions about marriage in USA. I am an Aupair on J1 visa and my bf and me decided to get married. My visa doesnt have two year rule and expires in August. Can we get married before August and start to fill the paperwork now? And after we will legally get married what documents we need to sent first( only I-130 and wait for reply)?

Thank you

Filed: Timeline

Hello. I am new to this site and have some questions about marriage in USA. I am an Aupair on J1 visa and my bf and me decided to get married. My visa doesnt have two year rule and expires in August. Can we get married before August and start to fill the paperwork now? And after we will legally get married what documents we need to sent first( only I-130 and wait for reply)?

Thank you

hey baby

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You will want to have a MOD move this because you are not adjusting from a family based visa.

Please follow the guide for the alien living in the US with the USC.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

once she is married though, wouldnt she be family though?

It's a common confusion. You will be adjusting THROUGH family, but not FROM a family visa. This forum is for people adjusting from fiance visas. The mods will move it to the appropriate location. (Thanks mods!)

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

once she is married though, wouldnt she be family though?

She does not have a family visa.

She has a J1 visa.

She is NOT adjusting from a family based visa as a J1 is not a family visa.

Of course she would be your family after marriage but she is still not on a family visa, she is still on her J1 visa.

If she wants a family based visa you would file the I-130 after getting married and she would go home to her country and wait for approximatly 1 year to get her family based visa. Then she can return to the USA when she has her CR-1 Spousal visa in her passport.

If you want her to stay in the US. She needs to read the guides and find out if she needs a waiver for 2 year residency requirement. Then Follow the guide that I posted earlier and file BOTH of thos in the same package at the same time. Medical included as well as all other needed documents.

Edited by Inky

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

She does not have a family visa.

She has a J1 visa.

She is NOT adjusting from a family based visa as a J1 is not a family visa.

Of course she would be your family after marriage but she is still not on a family visa, she is still on her J1 visa.

If she wants a family based visa you would file the I-130 after getting married and she would go home to her country and wait for approximatly 1 year to get her family based visa. Then she can return to the USA when she has her CR-1 Spousal visa in her passport.

If you want her to stay in the US. She needs to read the guides and find out if she needs a waiver for 2 year residency requirement. Then Follow the guide that I posted earlier and file BOTH of thos in the same package at the same time. Medical included as well as all other needed documents.

Thank you for reply.

Do you know what forum should I post my question?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Thank you for reply.

Do you know what forum should I post my question?

Hi, InnaV!

I also adjusted recently from J1 (not au pair, though)through marriage. Let me know if you need any help. I live in the Charlotte area, too.

Edited by Romancita

2-7-11 - Day 0 -sent AOS package (concurrent filling)

2-11-11-Day 4 - received text message from USCIS with the receipt number

2-18-2011 - Day 11[/font]- received NOA 1 in mail for I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

2-22-2011 -Day 15- received biometrics letter -appt March 14

3-10-2011- still cannot see case online although I called USCIS two days ago

3-14-2011- Day 35- Biometrics done on the appointment day

3-24-2011-Day 45-case showing up online!!!! USCIS mailed on 3-23 my interview appt letter- April 26 is the day!

3-26-2011-Day 48-Received interview appt letter

4-1-2011-Day 59- USCIS mailed I-131 approval and ordered production of my new card (I assume the combined EAD/AP)

4-11-2012-Day 69- received EAd&AP combo in mail! Bad picture!

4-26-2011-Day 84-APPROVED!!! Card production ordered!

4-30-2011-Day 88-Welcome to America letter received

5-4-2011-Day 92 - received green card in mail (8 days after the interview) - it is kinda green!!!!

as1cEY2003-0000MDA0NDZzfDAwMDYxOTN8V2UgaGF2ZSBiZWVuIG1hcnJpZWQgZm9y.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Thank you

Hi!

If you follow the guides here and on wwww.uscis.gov, you'll be fine! You do not have to file I-130 alone and wait for a reply. You can send I-130, I-485, I-131, and I-756 together, or concurrently. The last two forms are the travel permit, or AP, and the work permit. If you file them with 130 and 485, they are free. Filled separately, they are around $3oo or more each. Good luck!

2-7-11 - Day 0 -sent AOS package (concurrent filling)

2-11-11-Day 4 - received text message from USCIS with the receipt number

2-18-2011 - Day 11[/font]- received NOA 1 in mail for I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131

2-22-2011 -Day 15- received biometrics letter -appt March 14

3-10-2011- still cannot see case online although I called USCIS two days ago

3-14-2011- Day 35- Biometrics done on the appointment day

3-24-2011-Day 45-case showing up online!!!! USCIS mailed on 3-23 my interview appt letter- April 26 is the day!

3-26-2011-Day 48-Received interview appt letter

4-1-2011-Day 59- USCIS mailed I-131 approval and ordered production of my new card (I assume the combined EAD/AP)

4-11-2012-Day 69- received EAd&AP combo in mail! Bad picture!

4-26-2011-Day 84-APPROVED!!! Card production ordered!

4-30-2011-Day 88-Welcome to America letter received

5-4-2011-Day 92 - received green card in mail (8 days after the interview) - it is kinda green!!!!

as1cEY2003-0000MDA0NDZzfDAwMDYxOTN8V2UgaGF2ZSBiZWVuIG1hcnJpZWQgZm9y.gif

Timeline

Hi, InnaV!

I also adjusted recently from J1 (not au pair, though)through marriage. Let me know if you need any help. I live in the Charlotte area, too.

Thank you so much Romancita :) we will start to file all forms soon and I am sure we'll need some help. Thanks in advance!

We live in North Charlotte, what part of Charlotte are you from?

Inna

Hi!

If you follow the guides here and on wwww.uscis.gov, you'll be fine! You do not have to file I-130 alone and wait for a reply. You can send I-130, I-485, I-131, and I-756 together, or concurrently. The last two forms are the travel permit, or AP, and the work permit. If you file them with 130 and 485, they are free. Filled separately, they are around $3oo or more each. Good luck!

Thank you for your help :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.