dabulls1

Girl is on J1 visa. when can we get married? (poll)

8 members have voted

1. 1. when can we get married

• b4 her visa expires
    • after her visa expires

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Im having some difficulty finding answers to my questions on this forum.

My gf is an au pair from Ukraine and we want to get married and get keep her legal. i have been searching for similar situations to ours but each one is always a little different. any good links to a step by step from b4 marriage through the whole process??

thanks

Marriage by itself does not give any benefit, so what you should focus on is getting paperwork submitted before her visa expires, to avoid any out-of-status days. I should hope it seems obvious to you that if she stays after her visa is over, she is accruing days of illegal presence.

Generally life plans should come before immigration plans. When do you want to get married?

But before all of this, you need to determine if her J1 visa has a 2-year home residency requirement. If it does, then she will need to return home or apply for a waiver.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Marriage by itself does not give any benefit, so what you should focus on is getting paperwork submitted before her visa expires, to avoid any out-of-status days. I should hope it seems obvious to you that if she stays after her visa is over, she is accruing days of illegal presence.

Generally life plans should come before immigration plans. When do you want to get married?

But before all of this, you need to determine if her J1 visa has a 2-year home residency requirement. If it does, then she will need to return home or apply for a waiver.

thanks. i understand marriage grants no benefits but i was curious if she could legally marry while still on her j1. she was under the impression that she couldnt. we want to get married asap. she has no 2 year home rule.

It depends. How long have you known her, and did she enter the US with the intent to marry a US citizen in order to immigrate to the US?

i have known her for 9 or 10 months. no she entered the u.s. on a cultural exchange thing. she has a masters degree in english and wanted to refine her skills. meeting me was purely coincedince

Then you can get married now and file the paperwork tomorrow if you like. Follow the guides for "Spouse inside the US" in the guide section. Also keep in mind that she cannot travel once she sends in her Adjustment of Status (AOS) package, until she gets her temporary travel permission, called Advance Parole, which takes around 3 months. Good luck.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

i have known her for 9 or 10 months. no she entered the u.s. on a cultural exchange thing. she has a masters degree in english and wanted to refine her skills. meeting me was purely coincedince

If that is the case, marry her while she is still in status, and if she want to remain in the US, file to adjust status while she is still in the US. Otherwise, you would pursue the IR-1/CR-1 route once she returns to the Ukraine if she changes her mind later. Document everything, including the circumstances of your meeting, and to establish a bona fide relationship. Make sure you are both free to marry, and that you can both show that is the case.

Then you can get married now and file the paperwork tomorrow if you like. Follow the guides for "Spouse inside the US" in the guide section. Also keep in mind that she cannot travel once she sends in her Adjustment of Status (AOS) package, until she gets her temporary travel permission, called Advance Parole, which takes around 3 months. Good luck.

ok 1 more question for you sir. on the i-130 it asks for an alien registration number. where can i find hers?

If that is the case, marry her while she is still in status, and if she want to remain in the US, file to adjust status while she is still in the US. Otherwise, you would pursue the IR-1/CR-1 route once she returns to the Ukraine if she changes her mind later. Document everything, including the circumstances of your meeting, and to establish a bona fide relationship. Make sure you are both free to marry, and that you can both show that is the case.

what documents do we have to provide to show we are free to marry.

is there some type of system where i can give you guys reps or something. oh and by the way she is on this forum too. her name is InnaV. say hi to her

Either she has no A-number, or it will be on her J-1 visa paperwork. I am not sure if J1 visas get A-numbers. It's a 9-digit number that begins with A.

You don't need any documents to prove you are free to marry in this country. They take your word (or sworn statement) for it when you get your marriage license. Of course, if you are not free to marry, then you can't get married, but I am not sure why that was brought up.

Also, I am a female, not a "sir." :)

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from AOS from Family... to AOS from Exchange Visa.. as OP's fiance is in the country with a J1 *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Either she has no A-number, or it will be on her J-1 visa paperwork. I am not sure if J1 visas get A-numbers. It's a 9-digit number that begins with A.

You don't need any documents to prove you are free to marry in this country. They take your word (or sworn statement) for it when you get your marriage license. Of course, if you are not free to marry, then you can't get married, but I am not sure why that was brought up.

Also, I am a female, not a "sir." :)

You dont get an A number if you are on J 1

In the space for her A number write 'None'

09-10-13 (day 00) : AOS Package sent

09-12-13 (day 02) : Package delivered

09-17-13 (day 07) : Texts / emails received

09-23-13 (day 13) : Only one NOA hard copy received

10-07-13 (day 27) : NOA hard copy for I 485 received (NOA for I 130 still missing)

10-09-13 (day 29) : Biometrics letter FAXED, appointment for 10-11-13

10-11-13 (day 31) : Biometrics done

10-23-13 (day 43) : Online status changed to "testing and interview"

10-28-13 (day 48) : Interview appointment letter received - Nov 27th

11-12-13 (day 63) : EAD online status changed to "card production"

11-21-13 (day 72) : EAD card received in mail

11-27-13 (day 78) : AOS interview-approved!

12-02-13 (day 83) : "Welcome to America" letter received

12-04-13 (day 85) : Green card received

• 8 months later...

Marry before , my fiance and i decided to do it from my home country ,, and now i need help i didnt know the j1 2 years applied for k1 visa too so now i have to do the ds 3035 form and no clue how to do it :(

This topic is a year old.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.