Red_Dahlia

Delaying the K1 Process

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone,

We've received our NOA1 and according to the Visa Journey timeline, our visa should be adjudicated sometime between August 9 - 20. I'm trying to maximize the amount of time that I can work here in Canada before moving to the United States so that I'll have experience in my field before moving down.

So my questions are:

1. What does "adjudication" here mean? Is this the actual interview and receiving the visa?

2. After receiving the packet from the consulate, is there a deadline by which time I have to produce all the documentation and medical exam?

Thanks in advance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi everyone,

We've received our NOA1 and according to the Visa Journey timeline, our visa should be adjudicated sometime between August 9 - 20. I'm trying to maximize the amount of time that I can work here in Canada before moving to the United States so that I'll have experience in my field before moving down.

So my questions are:

1. What does "adjudication" here mean? Is this the actual interview and receiving the visa?

2. After receiving the packet from the consulate, is there a deadline by which time I have to produce all the documentation and medical exam?

Thanks in advance.

Adjudication means they are looking at your petition to approve it or deny it

Once you receive NOA2 your petition moves to nvc then to the embassy it has a time frame of six months or three months i forget .........in the period of time if you dont have anything done as in sent back the next round of documents and had your medical and interview for visa they can send your petition back as expired and you start all over again......

now with all of that being said you can try to ask the embassy to give you sometime and give them a good reason.....it is up to the embassy alone if they will grant that time or not.....

sara

Edited by sara.....

Filed: Timeline

Thanks Sara!

I've looked it up and it looks like the visa petition is valid for 4 months from the date of approval. And the consulate officer can extend this date longer. So my next questions are:

1. How do you request the extension?

2. Is the extension available for any reason or only under certain circumstances?

You have 6 months to enter the US once you have the visa, and 3 months to get married. Plus once you have your NOA2 it takes time to schedule a medical and interview anyway.. I would say you have plenty of time..

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Also, if you're going through the Montreal consulate, once you're able to book your interview, there's about 3-4 months until a date becomes available.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks Sara!

I've looked it up and it looks like the visa petition is valid for 4 months from the date of approval. And the consulate officer can extend this date longer. So my next questions are:

1. How do you request the extension?

2. Is the extension available for any reason or only under certain circumstances?

When i asked for extension for my x fiance i sent an email and a registered letter to them......i am not sure what are the grounds for getting an extension but i did it to try to keep them from sending back our petition as expired petition...his interview was so close to the expiration date of the petition it made sense to me at least but they didn't give it....but then again he was from India not Canada so its possible they might be more willing to comply

Good luck and i hope that they allow it for you :)

sara

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Most consulates will extend the validity of the petition approval automatically, for up to one year, as long as they're getting some sort of communication from the beneficiary or petitioner. They don't usually return the petition as expired unless they've sent out packet 3 and gotten no response, neither the beneficiary or petitioner have communicated with them, and the petition approval has expired.

It looks like the earliest you could expect an interview would be November or December of this year. You could probably extend this out as far as next summer, as long as you stay in contact with the consulate. Once you get the visa you have a further six months to use it before the visa expires. So, you could potentially go as long as early 2013 before you either had to use the visa and come to the US, or start over.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

At this point, the Embassy probably won't have any record, based on a recent NOA1 date. When you get your file number from NVC, you can call the embassy (if that doesn't create a hardship), or email them about an extension. I think they will let you know if they need other documentation from you.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.