ghunt2121

K1 Qualifications

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

We are about to get our Interview date and have everything just about ready. But now my fiancée is concerned about her likelihood of getting the visa because the does not have any real income nor any significant property.

What can I tell her to reassure her that these are not the things that the IV officer is looking at for a K1 visa?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It has nothing to do with the beneficiary. It is all about the USCs income.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

We are about to get our Interview date and have everything just about ready. But now my fiancée is concerned about her likelihood of getting the visa because the does not have any real income nor any significant property.

What can I tell her to reassure her that these are not the things that the IV officer is looking at for a K1 visa?

It's highly unlikely they'll even ask about her income or assets. They're not relevant because the petitioner (you) will be signing an affidavit which guarantees you'll make sure she's supported in the US.

My wife was considered middle class in Vietnam, but in the US her income would have been laughable. The consulate didn't ask about it. They didn't care. They wanted to see my financial information - not hers.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Yep, it's all about your income or assets in the US. She has no worries there.

Her's would only be important for a NON-immigrant visa as a way to prove ties to Colombia. Yes, the K-1 technically is "non-immigrant", but they treat it as an immigrant visa in this respect because, ultimately, she'll be living in the US permanently if she meets the terms of the K-1, namely, marrying you.

Good luck! Everything will be fine.

N-400

Feb. 12, 2016 - Sent N-400 to USCIS (3-year rule)

Feb. 19, 2016 - NOA1

Mar. 14, 2016 - Biometrics

June 2, 2016 - Interview - Recommended for Approval

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

You can tell her that she's not applying for a tourist visa where they look to her economic resources and ties to Colombia to overcome the presumption that a person will stay in the U.S. and not return to their home country. Instead, you've petitioned the U.S. as a U.S. citizen to allow her entry into the U.S. for the sole intent of her getting married to you within 90 days. They mostly just want to make certain that your relationship and intent to get married is bonafide (and of course there are other things they look at such as you meeting the financial support requirements for your family size, criminal history for you both, her medicals, etc.)

Other than verbally telling her to reassure her, you could always suggest she read the K-1 Visa requirements for herself (I chuckle a little saying this because I've suggested such to my fiancee, but in the end she decided to just trust that I read them, lol).

May 01, 2011 - Permission and Blessing from her father received (3+ hour conversation)!

May 07, 2011 - She said "yes", we are engaged!!!

May 31, 2011 - Sent Form I-129F via USPS with return receipt requested.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.