Carlos' Wife

Leaving the USA without Green Card

10 posts in this topic

My husband received his Visa. He will be coming to the US in the middle of July. He has been offered a 2 week job assignment OUT of the country (namely in Africa). This assignment is for the end of August.

Please help me...we need to know if he can travel for this job with just his Visa in his passport?? Will there be problems with this??

ALSO, how long does it take for him to receive his actual Permanent Resident Card after arriving in the USA.

Thank you so much.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

His visa will be stamped at POE, and then he is free to travel--the stamp gives him the same rights as the actual green card. It usually takes several weeks to get the green card, but it really doesn't matter.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

His visa will be stamped at POE, and then he is free to travel--the stamp gives him the same rights as the actual green card. It usually takes several weeks to get the green card, but it really doesn't matter.

Bingo!

USCIS- (77 Days)
I-130 Sent : 04-05-2011
I-130 NOA1 : 04-08-2011
I-130 NOA2 : 06-24-2011

NVC- (29 Days)
NVC Received : 07-25-2011

NVC Case Closed: 08-23-2011
Medical/VFS/Interview
Interview Date Recieved: 09-02-2011
Medical Completed: 09-16-2011
VFS Fees Paid and Documents Submitted: 10-21-2011
Interview: 11-10-2011

Interview Status: Approved
Visa In Hand: 11-10-2011

USA

P.O.E- Chicago, IL: 12-16-11
Recieved Welcome Letter: 01-03-2012
Received Green Card: 01-19-2012
Re-applied for SSN: 01-23-2012
Received SSN: 01-27-2012

Apply for Removal of Conditions: 09-17-13

ROC- (112 Days)

I-751 Sent (CSC): 11-22-13

Check Cashed: 11-27-13

I-751 NOA1: 11-30-13

Biometrics: 12-23-13
Case Status: Approved
Green Card Issued: 3-14-14

Green Card In Hand: 3-20-14

CITIZENSHIP

Apply For N-400: 1-28-15

Check Cashed: 02-5-15

NOA: 02-11-15

Biometrics: 03-2-15

In Line Interview: 06-10-15

Interview: 07-20-15

Interview Status: Approved

Oath Ceremony: 08-20-15

Filed: Other Timeline

A CR-1 enters the US as a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR), which is what a Green Card holder formally is.

At the Point of Entry (POE) he will receive an I-551 stamp, identifying him as an LPR. I-551 is the code name for the Green Card, so from day 1 on he has a Green Card, yet in stamp form.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

If I remember correct then the visa is Multiple entry and one should be able to travel on it.

That isn't correct. The visa is good for one entry into the United States. At that point the CO will stamp an I-551 stamp in the passport and write an expiration date on it. That stamp is what is used as the temporary GC. The visa is worthless once a POE has been established.

May love and laughter light your days,
and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours,
wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world
with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons
bring the best to you and yours!

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Bogota, Colombia
Marriage: 2009-08-01
I-130 Sent : 2009-09-29
I-130 NOA1 : 2009-10-06
I-130 Approved : 2010-03-18
NVC Received : 2010-03-23
Case Completed at NVC : 2010-09-16
Interview Date : December 16, 2010
Interview Result : APPROVED
Visa Received : 12/27/10
US Entry :12/29/10
Two-year green card received: 1/19/11
SSN received: 2/2/11
Lifting of Conditions Filed 10/1/12
Lifting of Conditions NOA 10/9/12
Lifting of Conditions Biometrics Appt 10/31/12

Lifting of Conditions Approved 12/10/12

10-yr green card received 1/8/13

N-400 Naturalization Application 10/1/2013
Marital Bliss: Endless

So the stamp is the temporary green card? If he doesn't have his actual LPR card and just the stamp then he can travel to Africa and back, correct?

I just don't want him to be stuck not being able to get back into the USA :(

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Absolutely correct--the stamp is exactly the same as the green card--all the benefits and all the responsibilities. Travel at will !!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

So the stamp is the temporary green card? If he doesn't have his actual LPR card and just the stamp then he can travel to Africa and back, correct?

Correct !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.