socalgal

Oh so many questions!

18 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone -

I'm new here and have been doing a lot of reading on the K-1 Visa process. Thanks to this site and members, I'm getting a LOT of information and reassurance that I'm not alone in what can be an overwhelming bureaucratic process!

My fiancé is a resident of the UK and I'll be petitioning for him to join me here in California. We're most likely to file a K-1 Visa as the processing time is the shortest (relatively speaking cause some of the processing times listed in the timelines...woah!). I know the K-1 visa is just to get him into the states so we can officially marry, whoo-hoo! It all sounds simple enough, but there's quite a lot of (paper)work involved just to get started.

Initial questions/concerns:

1) MONEY/FEES: Without the Employment Authorization Document (EAD), fiancé will be unemployed for first part of his stay in the US (approximately 2-3 months). We're examining our funds and want to make sure we've got enough saved up for that 2-3 month welcome period as well as have enough to cover the visa processing fees plus any extras.

a) It's USD340 just to get the I-129 started and USD350 for the Consulate Visa, right? Is the USD350 for the consulate visa just for fiancé or do I also have to submit an application as well?

b) When the I-129 is processed, there's a medical exam of approximately USD200-500, possibly more GBP?

c) After we get married, file for I-485 AOS / EAD at the same time? It's USD985 for AOS or for both AOS & EAD? What are the renewal fees for EAD?

2) K-1 VISA ITSELF: After the K-1 Visa is granted, I know that we'll have to marry within 90 days of fiancé arriving at Point of Entry (POE). But when fiancé gets the K-1 Visa, how long does he have to get things settled/sorted/shipped and book travel to get to the US?

a) When it comes time to it, can anyone recommend any good shipping companies?

3) TRAVEL: Note that on the K-1 Visa, fiancé will not be allowed to travel outside the US without Advance Parole (AP) and won't be able to enter US while K-1 is in process.

a) What's the process to request leave after we marry? Let's say we want to travel outside the US for our honeymoon or fiancé wants to return to London to visit his family/friends?

b) Processing time?

4) APPLICATION FOOL-PROOFED-NESS: The time and effort spent on the K-1 Visa petition is going toward OUR FUTURE. As this is really important to me, I don't want to mess anything up! If I follow the checklists/guides/flow charts/tips and double, triple, quadruple check everything, toss in some love/prayers/good lucks, I should be okay, right?

I'll have more questions sooner than later.

Thanks so much!

Even a snail will eventually reach its destination.” Gail Tsukiyama, The Street of a Thousand Blossoms

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Only your fiance has to pay the fee for the interview.

My medical here in Canada cost me $270, but it depends on your country

The fee for the AOS is $1070 USD. You forgot the biometrics fee thats why my price is higher.

When you file for the AOS you also file for the EAD and if you want to travel while you are waiting for the greencard you also have to file an I-131, application for a travel document. You can travel with this but not without it. The price of both of these is included in the AOS fee.

You have up to 6 months to use the K-1 visa.

K-1 Filed - Sept 27/10

NOA1 - Sept 28/10

NOA2 - Feb 16/11

NVC rec - Feb 28/11

NVC left - March 1/11

Con rec - March 4/11

P3 sent - March 8/11

P3 return - March 15/11

P3 logged - March 25/11

P4 sent - March 26/11

Medical - April 6/11

Interview - April 28/11 - Approved

Visa in hand - May 5/11

POE - May 13/11

SSN applied - June 1/11

Wedding - June 6/11

AOS/EAD/AP Sent - July 5/11

NOA1 - Aug 9/11

Biometrics - Sept 6/11

EAD/AP approved Sept 14/11

AOS Interview Oct 21/11

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

1) MONEY/FEES: It takes 2-3 months from filing for the EAD to be able to work, and you can't file until you are married and have the marriage certificate in hand.

a) The 350 is just for the fiance, fee for the visa itself, but there's also medical, and police certificate(s) to pay for.

b) It cost my husband 180GBP but that was 3 years ago, plus vaccinations, which my husband went to his family doctor and got them for free.

c) It's 1070USD to apply for AOS, EAD and AP. There's no EAD renewal as once AOS is approved there's no need for EAD as the green card allows him to work. The green card that's received through AOS is conditional and good for 2 years. 3 months before the 2 year green card expires, you will need to file to remove conditions/renew the green card (ROC) this costs $590.

2) K-1 VISA ITSELF: He will have 6 months to Enter the US.

a) There are a few threads about shipping in the UK regional form.

3) TRAVEL: You apply for the AP with the AOS and EAD, the processing times are similar to the EAD. And the fee is included in the 1070USD.

4)You should be fine, just tell the truth and follow the instructions. I did all my husband and I's paperwork, K-1 and AOS, on my own without any problems.

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

1) MONEY/FEES: It takes 2-3 months from filing for the EAD to be able to work, and you can't file until you are married and have the marriage certificate in hand.

a) The 350 is just for the fiance, fee for the visa itself, but there's also medical, and police certificate(s) to pay for.

b) It cost my husband 180GBP but that was 3 years ago, plus vaccinations, which my husband went to his family doctor and got them for free.

c) It's 1070USD to apply for AOS, EAD and AP. There's no EAD renewal as once AOS is approved there's no need for EAD as the green card allows him to work. The green card that's received through AOS is conditional and good for 2 years. 3 months before the 2 year green card expires, you will need to file to remove conditions/renew the green card (ROC) this costs $590.

2) K-1 VISA ITSELF: He will have 6 months to Enter the US.

a) There are a few threads about shipping in the UK regional form.

3) TRAVEL: You apply for the AP with the AOS and EAD, the processing times are similar to the EAD. And the fee is included in the 1070USD.

4)You should be fine, just tell the truth and follow the instructions. I did all my husband and I's paperwork, K-1 and AOS, on my own without any problems.

Oh so many answers! Thanks ^_^

Even a snail will eventually reach its destination.” Gail Tsukiyama, The Street of a Thousand Blossoms

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

As you are obviously trying to get a view of the big picture and plan for your AOS already (a good idea!), do some research on the DS-3025 from the overseas medical exam. The instructions on the form say that the applicant should receive a copy, but that's not always the case. Make sure the Panel Physician provides you with a copy. It will save you frustration and money later on. It's something I wish I had known about earlier.

Medical in the UK right now is £210... fee just rose on 1st May by 10 quid.

As you are obviously trying to get a view of the big picture and plan for your AOS already (a good idea!), do some research on the DS-3025 from the overseas medical exam. The instructions on the form say that the applicant should receive a copy, but that's not always the case. Make sure the Panel Physician provides you with a copy. It will save you frustration and money later on. It's something I wish I had known about earlier.

K1 Journey
11/2006...... met for the first time on a night out in London!
11/25/07..... I moved to the UK on a work visa to be with him 🙂
02/27/09..... he proposed!
08/30/10..... sent I-129F
09/02/10..... NOA1
01/27/11..... NOA2 (147 DAYS from NOA1)
03/22/11..... INTERVIEW! (201 DAYS from NOA1) - APPROVED! --> Read the review here!
03/25/11..... visa received!!!
06/09/11..... POE LAX!! --> Read the review here!

AOS Journey
07/22/11.... SSN received
08/27/11.... our wonderful wedding!!
09/23/11.... sent AOS package
09/25/11.... AOS package delivered in Chicago (7:33 p.m.)
10/10/11.... AP rejection letter, refiled 10/17
10/11/11.... NOA1 received via text & email (AOS + EAD only)
10/15/11.... hard copies of NOA1 for AOS + EAD received (dated 10/7)
10/17/11.... refiled AP
10/18/11.... successful biometrics walk-in, Santa Ana, CA (appt for 11/1)
10/20/11.... NOA1 for AP
12/12/11.... call in to USCIS. Told to call back after 12/26.
12/23/11.... I-765 approved

02/1/12...... Interview
02/02/12.... Approved!
02/10/12.... Hubby's GC in hand!

ROC Journey

12/09/13.... sent I-751 to CSC

12/10/13.... package delivered / NOA1

12/12/13.... cheque cashed

01/06/14.... biometrics

04/18/14.... approval letter dated (received 4/22)

Naturalization Journey

09/29/22.... filed N-400 online

09/30/22... NOA/biometrics reuse

01/23/23... interview scheduled for 02/28 

02/28/23... successful interview + oath ceremony in Santa Ana, CA! so proud! certificate of naturalization received! --> Read the review here!

Welcome! Like your fiancé, I'm from the UK and moved to California.

I don't have answers for all of your questions, but here are some:

1. This is more of a tip than an answer: Don't just count the filing fees themselves but the cost of postage, travelling to and staying in London, any printing costs, etc... especially important if you are on a tight budget :)

2. As others have said, 6 months.

As for shipping, personally I had really good experience with Excess Baggage - http://www.excess-baggage.com/ They provided me with all the boxes, I packed, and then they did door-to-door delivery (picked it up and dropped it off in the US 12 weeks later) for around $500 for 12 boxes. I had no problems with customs, except for having to provide $50 for an x-ray. There are many recommendations in the UK forum, but that's my personal recommendation :) It was so easy!

3. You will have to wait for AP - this can still take a month or two after you file for AOS, so there's really no way to leave immediately for a foreign honeymoon. You'll have to delay, unfortunately.

4. Yes. It's really not rocket science! It sounds as if you already understand quite a lot. As long as your case isn't complex (criminal backgrounds, your sixth marriage, etc.) it's really just a case of following the instructions and telling the truth, like Damian&Kelly says. Keep a copy of everything you send and receive!

Good luck!

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Welcome to Visa Journey! I am a US citizen who has a fiance in the UK. There is also a website called britishexpats.com that may also be helpful. This site was recommended to me and the later.

Jen & Barry (F)

Filed: Other Timeline

If money is a concern, why don't you have a very close look at the CR-1?

You can get married either in the US, or in the Ukay, have a nice honeymoon afterward. The CR-1 visa takes only a month longer to process than the K-1. Advantage: hubby enters the U.S. as a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and can work immediately, get a California Driver License immediately and, best of all, does not have to file for Adjustment of Status (AOS), but gets his Green Card in the mail shortly after setting foot on US soil. That's $1,070 saved right then and there, more than a flight to the US would cost him. Hawaii is calling!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

I think we'll be so nervous and ask for copies of everything anyway, but thanks for this tip.

event.png

Welcome! Like your fiancé, I'm from the UK and moved to California.

I don't have answers for all of your questions, but here are some:

1. This is more of a tip than an answer: Don't just count the filing fees themselves but the cost of postage, travelling to and staying in London, any printing costs, etc... especially important if you are on a tight budget :)

2. As others have said, 6 months.

As for shipping, personally I had really good experience with Excess Baggage - http://www.excess-baggage.com/ They provided me with all the boxes, I packed, and then they did door-to-door delivery (picked it up and dropped it off in the US 12 weeks later) for around $500 for 12 boxes. I had no problems with customs, except for having to provide $50 for an x-ray. There are many recommendations in the UK forum, but that's my personal recommendation :) It was so easy!

3. You will have to wait for AP - this can still take a month or two after you file for AOS, so there's really no way to leave immediately for a foreign honeymoon. You'll have to delay, unfortunately.

4. Yes. It's really not rocket science! It sounds as if you already understand quite a lot. As long as your case isn't complex (criminal backgrounds, your sixth marriage, etc.) it's really just a case of following the instructions and telling the truth, like Damian&Kelly says. Keep a copy of everything you send and receive!

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback!

1) Good tip - I'll keep an eye out for the 'miscellaneous' costs. When it comes time for the fiancé to have his interview - I'll be able to go to London and accompany him? (I'm accumulating lots of air miles so fingers crossed I can redeem those points!)

2) 2nd time I've been recommended Excess Baggage; will investigate more as fiancé may want to have items insured, which may bump up the fees

3) Plenty of places to honeymoon in the US, just have to pick where! We did enjoy a trip along the CA-1 :D

4) KISS theory: Keep it simple and sweet! And make copies of EVERYTHING

Hope California is treating you well. I'm curious as to how you're adjusting but will save that question for another time/thread.

event.png

If money is a concern, why don't you have a very close look at the CR-1?

You can get married either in the US, or in the Ukay, have a nice honeymoon afterward. The CR-1 visa takes only a month longer to process than the K-1. Advantage: hubby enters the U.S. as a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and can work immediately, get a California Driver License immediately and, best of all, does not have to file for Adjustment of Status (AOS), but gets his Green Card in the mail shortly after setting foot on US soil. That's $1,070 saved right then and there, more than a flight to the US would cost him. Hawaii is calling!

I feel like there has to be a catch or that the CR-1 sounds too good to be true!

Forgive me, I've not read too much about the CR-1 so I've got some reading to do and to talk things over with fiance.

Very quickly though - on K-1 Visa, would fiance be able to get a California Driver License right away?

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I feel like there has to be a catch or that the CR-1 sounds too good to be true!

Forgive me, I've not read too much about the CR-1 so I've got some reading to do and to talk things over with fiance.

Very quickly though - on K-1 Visa, would fiance be able to get a California Driver License right away?

The main downside of the CR-1 is that it will take longer than the K1. That's the only real downside. It used to be *significantly* longer, but due to increasing delays in the K1 visa processing the gap has narrowed considerably so that it is now on the order of a couple of months. Also, a lot of people don't want to go the CR-1 route because they don't like the idea of not seeing their spouse for 9 months.

I live in California too. You can't get a California's driver's license right away. You need to get a SSN number first. From what I hear that will take about a months from the time of your fiance's arrival. As you know in the US a lot of stuff is dependent on having a SSN, so it is advisable to get that taken care of ASAP. Once your fiance has a SSN, then all he needs to have is his passport and I-94 form that he will get on entry and then he should be good to go for getting a driver's license.

Edited by DasBoot

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

The main downside of the CR-1 is that it will take longer than the K1. That's the only real downside. It used to be *significantly* longer, but due to increasing delays in the K1 visa processing the gap has narrowed considerably so that it is now on the order of a couple of months. Also, a lot of people don't want to go the CR-1 route because they don't like the idea of not seeing their spouse for 9 months.

I live in California too. You can't get a California's driver's license right away. You need to get a SSN number first. From what I hear that will take about a months from the time of your fiance's arrival. As you know in the US a lot of stuff is dependent on having a SSN, so it is advisable to get that taken care of ASAP. Once your fiance has a SSN, then all he needs to have is his passport and I-94 form that he will get on entry and then he should be good to go for getting a driver's license.

By the way, it is perfectly OK to drive in the US with a foreign driver's license.

Welcome to Visa Journey! I am a US citizen who has a fiance in the UK. There is also a website called britishexpats.com that may also be helpful. This site was recommended to me and the later.

Jen & Barry (F)

Appreciate the welcome and the helpful link. Cheers!

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.