maximus

What happens if the medical expires?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee passed the medical and also the interview, the visa packet took more than 3 weeks to arrive so now we have roughly 2 weeks to book a plane ticket before her medical expires May 16.

I contacted a few travel agents in Manial to try to book a flight but all we can get is to be on a waitlist. We prefer to take Philippine Airline cuz they have the only direct flight to SFO without lay over cuz she will be traveling with small child also I don't want her to hassle with waiting 5 hours to transfer airplanes.

When her and the child passed there medical SLEC said they must fly before May 16 or her medical will expire so what would happen if that occures?

Will she need to go thru the whole medical process again, sputnum, x-rays, vacinations and will the visa be extended or will we have to re-apply and start from the beginning?

We are so close yet so far I'm just trying to be prepared if the worse happens.

Thanks to all.

the important date is when the K-1/K-2 Visas expire. they must enter the USA before their visas expire.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

when was the medical? it's possible may have to retake medical in USA for AOS.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Timeline

Your medical for the AOS is good for 1 year from the St. Lukes exam. I believe sunandmoon is correct that the visa expiration is your only concern getting her home. So if its nearly 1 year since your medical, she will need to take the medical again for the AOS if you come to the USA in the next 2 weeks or in 2-4 months.

Timeline

Her medical cleared in March 2011 but my concern was that SLEC told her she had to fly by May 16,2011 or it would expire perhaps they were talking about the K1/K2 visa 1 year mark cuz I believe it's pretty close to the 1 year mark for that.

I will definatly keep in mind the AOS and the medical expiration date.

Thanks again VJ members.

To avoid the hassle, fly before May 16 then :) You would not want to go through medical again, I tell you.

A man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh. – Genesis 2:24

Timeline

I don't know why they would tell you only wait lists are available. Philippine Airlines' website shows available economy seats (not the cheapest level of economy though) for Monday, May 16th for $1102. This is to San Francisco.

If that is prohibitive, then there are other options, with some layovers, for less money. $838 on Continental & United through Guam and Honolulu. $857 on Continental and Cathay Pacific through Hong Kong. $863 on PAL & Continental through Hong Kong. Hmm, also found the same PAL flight direct to SFO for cheaper, $951. There are several more options under $1000, and many many more between $1000 and $1200.

Here is what I use to search for airfare: http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

However, you cannot purchase through that search engine, it's just a tool to find seats & fares. It gives you enough information that you should be able to find an agency that will sell you the fare it finds. Click all the way through selecting the itinerary, then it brings you to a page where you can click "View itinerary and fare details", then look at the light gray text below the itemized list.

Here are the details it gave me for the PAL flight:

Fare construction (can be useful to travel agents)

MNL PR SFO 748.00VOXP NUC 748.00 END ROE 1.00 XT 5.50YC 7.00XY 5.00XA 16.30US 170.00YQ

Hope this helps!

______

-Kevin

Love is not just a feeling, it is the actions showing kindness, caring, and concern, even when you don't feel like it.

Truth and Prayer our faith blog

We are both Seventh-Day Adventist Christians.

What does that mean?? Please feel free to ask me, I'd be more than happy to share.

- our beliefs - SDA fundamentals - we follow the Bible! -

- does hell burn forever? - what happens when you die? - Bible prophecy Truth -

- Sabbath Truth -

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Normally the visa is valid for 6 months BUT if the medical expires sooner than 6 months the visa is typically dated to the date the medical expires. What the expiration date on the visa?

Timeline

The medical exam (for embassy visa purposes) is good for 6 months. Source

As others have stated, the important dates are on the visa. If the visa is not expired, there shouldn't be any problems getting into the US.

Also, there are tons and tons of available seats on flights to the US, even flights from Philippine Airlines direct from Manila to San Francisco. You can even do it through their web site: Philippine Airlines Site.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.