Geoff n Margaret

POE customs form for K1

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

For the K1 visa holder entering the US the first (one and only) time, I know you get the form 6059B on the plane like everyone else, do you need to list the contents of your bags?

I've seen some comments here to put "personal items only - $0". How's that worked for people?

Has anyone had their bags searched by customs? Anyone had anything confiscated? I know what the rules are, no need for a lecture. I've only seen a few comments about this and am curious.

------------

"Moving Household Goods to the United States: A Guide to Customs Regulations"

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbo....ctt/moving.doc

Excerpt....

General Procedures for Importing Household and Personal Effects

When completing the Customs Form (CF) 6059B, “Customs Declaration,” for accompanying goods, or the CF 3299 “Declaration For Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles,” the statement that the goods are “household effects” is not sufficient information. The complete inventory of imported goods will be treated as the packing list and must be provided to Customs upon request. The following is an example of an invoice description.

Furniture: Tables, chairs, sofas, bedroom, home/office and living room furniture, desks, lamps, mirrors, etc.

Kitchenware: Silverware, glassware, chinaware, pots, pans, utensils, electrical kitchen appliances, etc.

Household goods: Linens, towels, rugs, toiletries, cleaning products, decorative articles, art, framed pictures, toys, strollers, crafts, holiday decorations, fans, washers, dryers, VCRs, TVs, stereos, records, collectibles, etc.

Sport equipment: (NO FIREARMS). Bicycles, weights, stationary equipment, skis, skates, surfboards, etc.

Clothes: For women, men, boys, girls, and infants.

Books/Printed materials: Books, calendars, personal records, photo albums, etc.

Home/Office equipment/Tools of Trade: Computers (CPU, monitor, printer, software, etc.), filing cabinets, shredders, fax machines, telephone equipment, calculators, books, etc.

Other personal effects: Item(s) not covered by previous categories should be individually described.

The quantity on the invoice must, at minimum, provide the count in boxes, crates, or pieces. This information is required for the efficient completion of Customs document review and examination.

--------------

It seems like this guide is trying to talk about two things at the same time, and doing a poor job at explaining the difference between bringing stuff with you and shipping it separately. OR in practice CBP just doesn't expect someone to list the items in their suitcase(s).

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I just listed some clothing items, like shoes, dresses, and my wife brought her wedding dress with her, so we claimed it as well. Customs doesn't like to see blank forms!!! :no:

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Ingimar went to JFK and wrote his personal effects on the form (including laptop and guitar) but didn't know what to write for the price. He asked the customs officer and the guy said he didn't care, he said "They are your things and you don't need to pay any duty on them."

• 3 years later...

Ingimar went to JFK and wrote his personal effects on the form (including laptop and guitar) but didn't know what to write for the price. He asked the customs officer and the guy said he didn't care, he said "They are your things and you don't need to pay any duty on them."

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but this was the same question I have in mind.

So, if the items are all personal effects (used), we still list all of them and place our estimate of each of their cost/value? Then in box 15, we write the total value - do we fill up "resident" even though we're not yet residents at the time that the form was filled up?

Are personal effects nontaxable regardless of how much the total value is? Or is their a limit to how much is nontaxable?

I had about the same question so called Houston (our POE) and spoke to the supervisor of CBP at IAH airport. He told me do not list, itemize or value anything in the luggage. He said to write household goods or personal belongings and no amount or total. I also told him we would be traveling together with 6 pieces of luggage between us and would it be a problem if I (the USC) had men's clothing and computer parts in my luggage that didn't belong to me but to my K1 fiance. He said not a problem and it wasn't.

You might want to call your POE's Customs and Border Protection rep to see what their local policy/preference might be. You can find a list of all the POE airport liason's (don't remember the exact title) on the CBP website.

We also shipped over boxes of items. Things coming separately (not in your airplane luggage) do need to be listed and other custom forms filled out delaring them customs duty free because they are you household items and you are an immigrant.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.