Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Getting married

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I am visiting USA in a few months time and we have decided to get married while i am there on the vwp. I will come back home and we will start to file for the spouse visa. Now...however if i decide to visit USA again before we start the paperwork and as soon as i arrive in USA we file for adjustment of status..can we do that? Have a look below, that was a post i cam across on visajourney..

I actually traveled to the US after I got married in Austria and before we filed for the CR I. I had no problem, I just traveled using he VWP. I got asked at the border control why I enter the US and I said "to visit my husband". And once I arrived in the US, we filed for I 130. So, as long as you don't travel to the US with the purpose to immigrate and leave before your visa ends, I don't see why you can't do it.

Larry and Jaana

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You may not use the Visa Waiver Program with the intent of staying in the USA/ immigrating. That is visa fraud.

You can use it to get married, and to visit again during the process.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have intent to use the VWP for immigration by asking if you can enter and AOS on VWP. As penguin says that is visa fraud.

If you do this it can result in a HUGE number of issues including a life time ban from the USA.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, using the VWP to enter and adjust status is illegal because it is visa fraud. The VWP is for tourist, not for immigrants

When you enter the US to marry, start the Cr-1 visa process while you are there and then leave to return to Sweden.

So, as long as you don't travel to the US with the purpose to immigrate - you intend to immigrate, that is the difference between you and the quote you posted. And that happens to be a BIG difference

Good luck

August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2

February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete

May 4, 2009

May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011


April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony


September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can stay in the US once you get married UNTIL the 90 day VWP expires--be very careful to not overstay, since that is the first step towards immigration hell. In the meantime, go on a honeymoon and have fun, but then go home within the 90-day VWP window.

Whether you can come back to visit using VWP is entirely up to CBP--sometimes it is easy and sometimes people are rejected, but one thing is for sure--there is no way you can come back to go thru AOS here. The CR-1 process requires that you return to your country for an interview at the consulate. If CBP lets you back in during the process, you may find that you can spend most of the time here, but the final step will be in Sweden.

Edited by magical

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.