Amby

California set to teach gay history and rights in schools

219 posts in this topic

Sounds like a good idea but I just hope it is implemented in healthy way.

From your comments in this thread Paul, I would say no, you don't know what bigotry is. This isn't teaching a 'lifestyle' as you phrase it. People don't choose to be gay, it's something they are born as.

Please share your story.

Filed: Other Country: Andorra
Timeline

Sounds like a good idea but I just hope it is implemented in healthy way.

Please share your story.

I bet that took all of your brainpower to muster that post. Good job Simpson, but you better hurry up and get back to work, the fries are burning.

Indy.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

From your comments in this thread Paul, I would say no, you don't know what bigotry is. This isn't teaching a 'lifestyle' as you phrase it. People don't choose to be gay, it's something they are born as.

I didn't call it a lifestyle.

I just said it was a amusing when people compare 'race' to 'behavior.'

They are two very different things.

People are born heterosexual, born homosexual, born pedophiles, born animal lovers, etc... The laws of attraction are what they are and there's no way around that and no 'cure' for any of them.

The differnce being in those however, is you have a choice to display it or not. Skin color and race you really cannot hide. Well, unless you're Michael Jackson...

Your sexuality has nothing to do with your job, has nothing to do where you eat, etc. It's something personal that's shared among family, friends, etc.

Trying to equate that to ones race/skin color is not equal in any way. People are discriminated against for a multitude of reasons each and every day that have NOTHING to do with race/sexuality. It's the same with school bullies. Yet, this is what we choose to equate when there is no comparison?

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Well Paul (I am assuming you're Paul and not Vanessa?), let's pretend you were born gay. And you were in love with Victor, and Victor was from Canada. You were totally sure you wanted to spend the rest of your life with him, and buy a house together and get a cute dog and adopt some kids. You wanted to bring him to the US so you could start your life together. Well, no K-1 visa for you, or K-3, or CR-1.

It's not "something personal." It's every time you step out of the house and into the heteronormative world. As someone straight and cisgendered, you've simply just never had to think about it.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Timeline

Well Paul (I am assuming you're Paul and not Vanessa?), let's pretend you were born gay. And you were in love with Victor, and Victor was from Canada. You were totally sure you wanted to spend the rest of your life with him, and buy a house together and get a cute dog and adopt some kids. You wanted to bring him to the US so you could start your life together. Well, no K-1 visa for you, or K-3, or CR-1.

If Paul was gay he'd probably kill himself.

Timeline

It's not "something personal." It's every time you step out of the house and into the heteronormative world. As someone straight and cisgendered, you've simply just never had to think about it.

Actually, I would have the option to move to Canada in this case. Using immigraton as an example doesn't really work either because people are denied applications all the time. While I get your point, as I said, there are options available for you. There are also other visa options outside of marital ones as well.

Who you love, who you sleep with, etc. is something personal until you make it something not.

I don't volunteer my personal life to anyone who doesn't ask about it and even then I keep it to a minumum when I'm in a work environment, etc. As I said, it's personal and frankly none of anyone's business who isn't close to me.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

But you want to, you know, get legally married and stuff. Which has legal consequences and tax consequences and affords you all kinds of rights as a married couple. When you legalize a union, that takes it out of the bedroom and into the public sphere. If you believed that what is private should stay private, then you wouldn't have anything to do with marriage in the first place. But you want those legal rights and privileges.

Do you introduce your wife/fiancee as your wife/fiancee? Or do you say, "Oh, you don't know me well enough to know if I'm in a relationship or not. That's private." Oh wait, your screenname on this very site has the name of your significant other in it, immediately announcing to all that you are:

a) straight

b) in a relationship

c) engaged to be married and to have your sexual relationship legally recognized by the United States and other governments around the world and will be entitled to all rights and privileges afforded by such a status.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

But you want to, you know, get legally married and stuff. Which has legal consequences and tax consequences and affords you all kinds of rights as a married couple. When you legalize a union, that takes it out of the bedroom and into the public sphere. If you believed that what is private should stay private, then you wouldn't have anything to do with marriage in the first place. But you want those legal rights and privileges.

Do you introduce your wife/fiancee as your wife/fiancee? Or do you say, "Oh, you don't know me well enough to know if I'm in a relationship or not. That's private." Oh wait, your screenname on this very site has the name of your significant other in it, immediately announcing to all that you are:

a) straight

b) in a relationship

c) engaged to be married and to have your sexual relationship legally recognized by the United States and other governments around the world and will be entitled to all rights and privileges afforded by such a status.

I'm a proponent of ending special rules for married couples in regards to right of attorney, etc.

If you want your next door neighbor to be able to make decisions for you in case of an emergency, then that should be your choice. Who it is shouldn't matter so long as you have stated this is who you want to be there, who you trust, etc..

Any marriage incentives are silly this day and age anyway, as there is no reason to pro-create/increase our population, so any argument in favor of hetero marriages is silly.

I'm also a huge proponent of calling any 'marriage' in government a civil union. It shouldn't matter who you are with so long as it's a concenting adult. Marriage is an institute of the church and only lives in government for record keeping and tax purposes. Which in all reality, it's a lot of times better to file seperately than as married anyway due to the marriage tax penalty.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

But your belief in ending the concept of marriage in terms of other legal definitions has thus far not extended to you not wanting to take advantage of it. And you're still announcing your relationship to the world in VJ username, etc. So you really can't make the argument that you keep your private life private when anyone on the internet can find your relationship history.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Other Country: Andorra
Timeline

I'm a proponent of ending special rules for married couples in regards to right of attorney, etc.

If you want your next door neighbor to be able to make decisions for you in case of an emergency, then that should be your choice. Who it is shouldn't matter so long as you have stated this is who you want to be there, who you trust, etc..

Any marriage incentives are silly this day and age anyway, as there is no reason to pro-create/increase our population, so any argument in favor of hetero marriages is silly.

I'm also a huge proponent of calling any 'marriage' in government a civil union. It shouldn't matter who you are with so long as it's a concenting adult. Marriage is an institute of the church and only lives in government for record keeping and tax purposes. Which in all reality, it's a lot of times better to file seperately than as married anyway due to the marriage tax penalty.

The idea that the core purpose of marriage is to procreate is absurd.

Indy.gif