AshleyyMariie

New to the K-1 Visa

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hello everyone. Me and my fiance, who is a citizen of Argentina, are most likely going to file for a K-1 visa. We have been together for 2 and a half years and have been engaged for some time now. I found this website seeking help, I'm just nervous I guess because I really want him to be able to get this visa and for us to start our life here and I'm scared of that chance that we might not get it approved. So I'm seeking some help and just answers to my basic questions. I know there are many forums out there but I was just hoping someone could help me personally..

My first question is, do most of everyone here have some sort of lawyer or something to back them up in this process or are you guys all kinda doing it just by yourselves?

Second, I'm currently a student but also working full time, making about 22 thousand a year, and don't have really anything very expensive to my name, as well I'm living with my parents. Would that be enough for this visa? I know I saw something about financial status, either me or him. But would not having my own place, would that cause me to run into problems? I have enough saved etc to find my own place of course if I must.

Third, at what point is the longest wait time? I'm reading some of the dates on people's posts here but I'm new to the "lingo" of the visa process.. Sorry.

I'll probably have more questions later but I just want to get these out of the way.. if someone can just help me out. Thanks so much in advanced. I'm so glad I found this website!

Ashley :)

I'd say most people here didn't use a lawyer - they're generally not necessary unless your case is complicated. The knowledge and information found here is invaluable and will help you like it has helped countless other people. I have absolutely no regrets about doing our petition without a lawyer - especially considering the K-1 costs $1000-$2000 when it's all said and done.

Your finances are very important if you're not using a co-sponsor. Look here to get an idea of what you'll need: http://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

The waiting period depends on too many individual factors to give an accurate timeframe - but you should estimate at least 6 months between sending the petition to interviewing. Some people receive their approval in a month or two, some people wait up to a year.

Timeline

Thank you so much for your help.

And another quick questions as well if anyone wishes to help.

My fiance has filed to get his passport just recently and is currently waiting to go and get his photo etc. Should I wait for that before I start the process for this visa? Thanks again!

Your fiance's passport isn't needed until closer to the interview time.

The only thing beneficial from your fiance's passport right now (if he has/had one) would be passport stamps - if he's ever been to the US to visit you. Copies of that as proof of meeting can help. If not, no big deal.

Timeline

Thanks again so much. After looking around this site and also looking at people's personal situations going through this process for the K-1 visa I'm feeling better and less nervous about doing it. I'm seeing it's not too hard if you have pretty much all they want which is mostly showing that it's true that there is a relationship going on.

Is there a common hard spot where most people run into? I'm seeing it might the financial support part.. is it hard to get a co-sponsor if needed? And what exactly is it?

Thanksss

A co-sponsor may be virtually anyone that can show the government they are financially capable of supporting the immigrant. They have to submit all the documents you'd have to submit, such as paystubs, tax returns, etc. If the immigrant goes on welfare or any other means-tested benefit - the government can come after the sponsor/co-sponsor for repayment. However, if your income is sufficient and you can provide proof of it - you probably won't need a co-sponsor.

I don't think there's a particular point people get stuck on. The hardest part for us was waiting. If you provide the correct info with your packet in the first place you likely won't have a problem getting it processed (although people with criminal histories, previous visa overstays, etc probably have a very different experience). The waiting part of it is entirely up to how you stay strong - I've seen people on here break up 4-5 months after NOA1, so close to the next step.

Good luck to you guys!

Timeline

HELPPP! Quick question! So I'm getting everything ready to start this Visa and I need to know something..

With the form G-325A that my fiance has to fill out and sign, can I receive that via fax and send it in like that or does it have to be original with his signature etc.. (my finance would have to send it via mail to me then)..

Thanks again!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I just did that... he faxed it to me. You can send in copies of documents, just make sure that he holds on to the original just in case they request it.

ฉันรักคุณ
K-1
Filed May 2011
116 days to NOA2
4 days for the NVC
74 days to the interview
Interview date: 12/14/11 APPROVED!
POE: 12/16/11
Total days from NOA1 to K-1 Visa in hand: 202
Wedding Date: 12/27/11

AOS
Sent AOS: 4/21/12
NOA1: 4/30/12
RFE: 5/14/12
Biometrics App.: 5/21/12
Sent RFE Response: 5/31/12
Interview: 7/24/12
Approval: 10/12/12

Currently.... they have issued Ice the incorrect GC and we have tried 4 times to fix it. First time they had us send it to the incorrect address. Second time they said we used an expired form, which was the form they gave us. Third time was "oh sorry we lost the last page, can you send it again?." Fourth time is the gov is shut down. Will this ever be corrected in time for Ice to get the permanent GC? Stay tuned to find out. T_T

I just did that... he faxed it to me. You can send in copies of documents, just make sure that he holds on to the original just in case they request it.

Copies are fine - keep your originals for the interview - and have additional copies ready for them to keep.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bolivia
Timeline

Hi. I really don't know if can be photocopies of G 325A but I read a lot that has to be original. But also, you will need a letter of intent, one of you and one of your fiancee. The signature has to be original in ink, so the copy can not be send media fax. These are the only two documents that your fiancee need to sign and send you via Fedex or DHL. Read carefully the guidelineshttp://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide :star: Good luck!

03/28/2011- I-129F Petition sent
03/30/2011- Notification of delivery received in Lewisville, TX
04/01/2011- NOA1 (via text message & e mail)
07/28/2011- NOA2 (via text message & e mail)
08/01/2011- NOA2 hardcopy
08/08/2011- Received case number from NVC
08/25/2011- Medical done
09/08/2011- Visa Approved
09/29/2011- POE - Welcome to PR
12/16/2011- Wedding
03/21/2012- AOS NOA1
04/10/2012- AOS transfer to CSC
07/18/2012- AOS Approved/GC production

04/23/2014 - I-175F Petition sent

04/29/2014 - Notification of delivery received in Vermont

04/29/2014 - NOA1 hardcopy

05/07/2014 - Check cashed

06/06/2014 - ASC biometrics appoinment

11/17/2014 - Received RFE

12/31/2014 - Sent RFE response

01/06/2015 - VSC received RFE package

01/30/2015 - ROC Approved!

02/09/2015 - Card received

Hi. I really don't know if can be photocopies of G 325A but I read a lot that has to be original. But also, you will need a letter of intent, one of you and one of your fiancee. The signature has to be original in ink, so the copy can not be send media fax. These are the only two documents that your fiancee need to sign and send you via Fedex or DHL. Read carefully the guidelineshttp://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide :star: Good luck!

It really depends. Some people have received an RFE for this, some people haven't. Our signatures were black ink, copied - no RFE.

At the same time, the G-325A technically doesn't even HAVE to be signed. The letter of intent does. We signed ours anyway.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

It really depends. Some people have received an RFE for this, some people haven't. Our signatures were black ink, copied - no RFE.

At the same time, the G-325A technically doesn't even HAVE to be signed. The letter of intent does. We signed ours anyway.

Very true. I consulted an attorney at the Emerald Isle Immigration Center, and had him look over all of my paperwork before submitting to USCIS in the hope to avoid an RFE. He told me that the signature had to be original, so I had my fiance mail me the form with his original signature. My advice would be to send in the original signature if it's at all possible.

December 2nd, 2011 - AOS Packet sent

December 8th, 2011 - Received electronic NOA1

January 3rd, 2012 - Received notification that case has been transferred to CSC

January 4th, 2012 - Biometrics

February 11th, 2012 - Employment Authorization Card received

February 25th, 2012 - Social Security Card received

August 24th, 2012 - Green Card Received

August, 2014 - I-751 sent

August 2014 (two weeks later) - NOA1 Received

March 2015 - RFE Received

May 2015 - RFE Packet Sent

July 28th - Letter received for interview

August 13th - Interview (GC Pending)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Ok. Thanks everyone! Oh.. and another quick question.

What language is the interview in? Is it in the fiance's native tongue? He speaks very basic English so I hope it in Spanish..

He will be given a choice. If he wants to interview in Spanish, that option will be available to him.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.