Obama 2012

Teachers Attending "White Guilt" Conference in Minnesota. Because You Know, Whites Are More Privileged!

53 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

:blink:

----------

http://www.startribune.com/opinion/otherviews/119508364.html

These are tough times for Minnesota schools.

In Lakeville, for example, the school board recently announced wrenching cuts of almost $7 million. Ninety-four teachers will lose their jobs, arts programs will suffer and a school will be closed.

There was wailing and gnashing of teeth, but the board set its jaw: There's not a dime for anything extra.

Unless you've got an ax to grind with white folks. Then the money spigots open.

The Lakeville schools are sending a delegation of teachers to the 12th annual "White Privilege Conference" at the Bloomington Sheraton from April 13-16. The district is shelling out $160 a pop -- plus $125 a day for teacher subs -- for this "white guilt" festival.

Organizers say they expect attendees from a number of other Minnesota districts.

The conference is "built on the premise that the U.S. was started by white people, for white people," according to conference materials. Its mission is to get participants to confront their biases in a "journey in understanding white supremacy, whiteness, privilege, power and oppression," and to "agree to take action in [their] own circle of power."

The conference is sponsored by the Minnesota Justice Collaborative, a consortium of local higher-education and philanthropic institutions. It is expected to draw 1,500 teachers, students, activists, artists, social workers and counselors from more than 40 states. Minnesota public schools are represented on the list of speakers and workshop presenters.

What can Lakeville parents and taxpayers expect for their investment?

To find out, we can peruse the keynote address for the 2009 conference. It was delivered by "social justice educator" Paul Kivel and appeared in the conference journal, "Understanding and Dismantling Privilege."

Kivel begins with what passes these days as a prayer: "I want to acknowledge the creative spirits in the world that nurture and sustain us and that connect us to each other and to the plant and animal life around us."

Then he winds up for a fire-and-brimstone sermon. We Americans "are completely dependent on U.S. imperialism and war to sustain our daily lives."

Our schools, too, are riddled with racial bias. "Our school system has been set up ... to perpetuate white supremacy and white privilege." Poor and minority students "do not drop out -- they are pushed out."

What's gone wrong? For one thing, Christianity has far too much influence. It "has played a key role in developing and justifying sources of oppression" such as "violence and genocide," Kivel tells us, and is "the beginning of modern or biological racism."

But don't despair, he counsels. We must look beyond our "declining empire" to "exciting progressive developments" in Hugo Chavez's Venezuela -- among them, "land reform and redistribution of wealth, neighborhood committees, recognition of women's unpaid labor, end of spanking."

I feel better already.

At this year's conference, participants can look forward to a tongue-lashing from Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, author of "Outlaw Woman."

"Clamor" magazine describes Dunbar-Ortiz as "a fiery, indefatigable public speaker" on issues of capitalism and imperialism who cut her teeth in Cuba with the Venceremos Brigade, then built "associations with other revolutionaries across the spectrum of radical and underground politics."

In addition to drinking in Dunbar-Ortiz's wisdom, Lakeville teachers will have countless opportunities for navel-gazing or self-flagellation. They can sample workshops where participants will "discuss how white privilege, white supremacy, and oppression affects daily life." Every grievance get its due, with topics including not just skin color but sexuality, gender, class and disability.

Teachers also can seek counsel from Ruth King, "a recognized authority on emotional wisdom and the author of the groundbreaking book 'Healing Rage and the Emotional Wisdom Cards'" -- or relax with Victor Lee Lewis of the Radical Resilience Institute, who will instruct them how to "rapidly release and overcome stress, trauma, drama and toxic beliefs."

Whom should we thank for this rich smorgasbord of white guilt? Sponsors include the University of Minnesota, MnSCU, the St. Paul Foundation, Hamline University, Gustavus Adolphus College, the YWCA of Minneapolis and Augsburg College, among others.

"This conference is on the radar of conservatives because it threatens the status quo, because we're not just talking about individual change, we're talking about systems change," University of Minnesota professor Lisa Albrecht, a local organizer, told MinnPost last fall.

The website reported: "There's always the possibility that the 'haters,' as one of the organizers puts it, will descend in mass and try to disrupt peaceful discussions about the advantages of being white in America and the oppression that has led to."

Not a chance. We're laughing too hard.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

website for conference:

http://www.whiteprivilegeconference.com/index.html

Boy, I need to get my "white" mind right. I best be doin' that, ya hear?

Seriously, this is some stupid #######...

Edited by Paul and Vanessa

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Stuff conservatives and their small minded fixation with ridiculousness

"Fixated"?

You do realize "They" are the ones holding a conference.

:whistle:

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

Liberal white guilt?

More evidence that liberal thought is associated with mental illness. Fixation with chronic feelings self guilt definitely isn't normal. Maybe some day there will be a medication to cure it. In the mean time the rest of us can only roll our eyes, shrug our shoulders, and keep the lunatic fringe from infecting everyone else with their afflictions, delusions, and neuroses.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Consistent with my hunch... this stuff will never end and in fact only intensify.

I had the same thought yesterday while discussing this same topic with friends and it definitely saddened me. I then had the thought that the only way that America is going to get past this will be for the past generation(s) to die off, and probably 75% of my generation to die off as well. By that time, America may possibly be more accustomed to being a nation of many races. Granted, we may always be the only nation that has this unique dynamic of hosting so many races in one country and that alone could imply a level of perpetual friction, but eventually, I do believe our diversity will be our greatest strength...as we have seen glimpses of it already...

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

jesus-animated-gif-image-0110.gif

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I had the same thought yesterday while discussing this same topic with friends and it definitely saddened me. I then had the thought that the only way that America is going to get past this will be for the past generation(s) to die off, and probably 75% of my generation to die off as well. By that time, America may possibly be more accustomed to being a nation of many races. Granted, we may always be the only nation that has this unique dynamic of hosting so many races in one country and that alone could imply a level of perpetual friction, but eventually, I do believe our diversity will be our greatest strength...as we have seen glimpses of it already...

Why would so many from the "past generation" have to die off when they in fact brought about this wave of diversity that you speak of?

I'm wondering what other nations should die off too.. or perhaps the limited diversity is fitting for Japan and Peru?

When one compares our country and the generations before us with most of the world, I think we come out ahead of most places around the world.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I sometimes wish I could invent the "slavery button"

With one push, this button would go back in time and erase the existance of slavery in this country entirely. It was a terrible institution and if I could erase the fact it ever existed, I would. Wouldn't you?

Imagine how many people that button could help. Imagine how many people would be so much better off if their ancestors had not been sold into slavery and taken from their homes in west Africa.

For the good of so many people, I would push that button, but I would probably give the honors to someone like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I would probably give the honors to someone like Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton.

Are you kidding? :blink:

Do you really think either of them would push that button? :innocent:

They would have that button destroyed and you shot to prevent you from re-inventing it!

Jackson and Sharpton are slavery profiteer's.

Where would they be today if not for slavery? I'm thinking - Jackson a pimp and Sharpton selling used cars. :rofl:

They would never push that buttton! :bonk:

Give me the honors! I'm the one suffering now!! :help:

Edited by Vi-Jay

Be Shrewd! Be Astute and be aware who's watching ya!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Where would they be today if not for slavery? I'm thinking - Jackson a pimp and Sharpton selling used cars. :rofl:

In Ghana.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

In Ghana.

Exactly. :thumbs:

They wouldn't even exist. :dance:

Please consider something;

Standard of living in Ghana Vs. Standard of living for average African-American.

(Before I start being labeled, I abhor abuses perpetrated against humanity of any kind, including slavery.)

Do you think most African-Americans would welcome the opportunity to be "returned" to Africa, today? :whistle:

What about America and the rest of the world ? What about all the great African-American contributions to the world? :crying:

I might refuse the button with that thought. :unsure:

Be Shrewd! Be Astute and be aware who's watching ya!

Another giant waste of money by the left. This country is broke, we are in the middle of two meaningless wars, and they pull this ####### ?

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Indeed, this is something I have given thought to- and witnessed on this board as you probably have too. While friction will always be an issue where already seated communities will be presented with novel, different population segments, and the intolerance that we can see accompanies these dynamics is no alien concept. What may be tragically honest yet ironically refreshing is that many of those in the older populations that perpetuate these acts of intolerance are in fact dying off and thus paving the way for a happier, plural society.

Well said. :thumbs: