BrNv

AOS and expired visa, help

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

I have asked this before, but need either some reassurance or input as wife is crying. The situation is we married in U.S. while on tourist visa (from a nonwaiver country). The previous advice given (by several people) was any overstay before submitting paperwork will be excused, i.e. paperwork is being filed after visa expired. The reason (though probably not relevant) was we were waiting on all necessary paperwork to submit a complete application. We are now doing the paperwork and the I-485 instructions state that one is not eleigable for AOS if the authorized stay expired before the paperwork. We would appreciate feedback from anyone that knows the answer. Are we okay or not okay?

Edited by BrNv

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hope your doing all the I-130 paperwork too because you cant just send the 485 stuff!

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I have asked this before, but need either some reassurance or input as wife is crying. The situation is we married in U.S. while on tourist visa (from a nonwaiver country). The previous advice given (by several people) was any overstay before submitting paperwork will be excused, i.e. paperwork is being filed after visa expired. The reason (though probably not relevant) was we were waiting on all necessary paperwork to submit a complete application. We are now doing the paperwork and the I-485 instructions state that one is not eleigable for AOS if the authorized stay expired before the paperwork. We would appreciate feedback from anyone that knows the answer. Are we okay or not okay?

I'm not an expert on people appyling for the AOS from a tourist visa. If it was me, I would go back to Turkey and go the correct procedure.

I know people in the past have come over to the US on a tourist visa, got married and AOS and they were succesfull, but now I think it's far more difficult to do so.

Good luck, I'm sure someone else can give a better answer.

You are fine. Overstay is a problem for people who entered under the VWP program, though not a total deal breaker for those either. As long as the intending immigrant entered with a valid visa - which ever visa - overstay is forgiven after marriage to a USC.

Could you be more specific of the section of the I-485 instructions that you are referring to?

In any case - you are fine. As long as your marriage is legitimate and you can show proof of bona fide marriage, you shouldn't expect any problems. The only thing to keep in mind is that even though you technically can apply for a travel document (AP) and would be issued one, since you have overstayed you cannot leave US at all until you have the green card in your hands. (or your wife - whichever is the foreigner). So you really don't even need to apply for the AP, it won't be of any use to you.

Edited by Mrs.Finland-USA

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The 'exception' to the above rule is available only to spouses of US citizens.

The I-485 petition is used for people who are applying to adjust status from many different visas - work, study, and visitors - and based upon many different eligibility criteria, not just marriage. The statement about not being able to apply for AOS if you are out of status refers to situations other than marriage. As long as she is not in removal proceedings nor has been served with deportation papers, you shouldn't have a problem. Any out of status time is 'forgiven' when the AOS based upon marriage to a US citizen is approved, so go ahead and file.

If she had entered on the Visa Waiver Program and had overstayed her time, then it would be a hit or miss situation about whether the AOS would be denied or not. Some USCIS offices will still approve an overstayed VWP applicant, but many won't. Since she entered on a regular B-2 visa, she can apply to adjust her status through marriage to you. It is important that your wife does not leave the US until she receives her green card, though.

Good luck to you. Once the application is filed, your wife will again have 'status' in the US as a pending AOS applicant.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Please tell your wife to stop crying! She will be A ok!

You have been given the same advice but there is no harm in giving the same again.

1. Any overstay that your wife has/could have will have no effect on her AOS application. None. Zero. Zip.

2. You can file for your wife in the USA because she is an immediate spouse of you. You being a US citizen.

3.Tell your wife to read the I-485 instructions again and look at part F.

4,Look at F again.

5. Give your wife a big hug and tell her she is F!

She is not going to have a problem because she married you or you filed.

Best of everything,

PS. I think we should keep information relevant to the thread as additional information may just confuse the OP and Mrs. OP (Going back to Turkey, Visa Waiver Overstay- If any one has any knowledge of USCIS offices that are denying VWP AOS other than SD..please post on my VWP thread)

Edited by Myopia

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Timeline

You are fine. Overstay is a problem for people who entered under the VWP program, though not a total deal breaker for those either. As long as the intending immigrant entered with a valid visa - which ever visa - overstay is forgiven after marriage to a USC.

Could you be more specific of the section of the I-485 instructions that you are referring to?

In any case - you are fine. As long as your marriage is legitimate and you can show proof of bona fide marriage, you shouldn't expect any problems. The only thing to keep in mind is that even though you technically can apply for a travel document (AP) and would be issued one, since you have overstayed you cannot leave US at all until you have the green card in your hands. (or your wife - whichever is the foreigner). So you really don't even need to apply for the AP, it won't be of any use to you.

This is to everyone ... and thanks. Yes, we are doing the I-130 paperwork. On the instructions for I-485 (revised 1/18/11), page 2 paragraph 10 "Who Is Not Eligible to Adjust Status" Subparagraph D says "Your authorized stay expired before you filed this application."

This is to everyone ... and thanks. Yes, we are doing the I-130 paperwork. On the instructions for I-485 (revised 1/18/11), page 2 paragraph 10 "Who Is Not Eligible to Adjust Status" Subparagraph D says "Your authorized stay expired before you filed this application."

You get the F. Seriously you do.

10. F to be precise.

Look at your instruction form on the I-485.

You Are Under F

10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin

03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

Timeline

Please tell your wife to stop crying! She will be A ok!

You have been given the same advice but there is no harm in giving the same again.

1. Any overstay that your wife has/could have will have no effect on her AOS application. None. Zero. Zip.

2. You can file for your wife in the USA because she is an immediate spouse of you. You being a US citizen.

3.Tell your wife to read the I-485 instructions again and look at part F.

4,Look at F again.

5. Give your wife a big hug and tell her she is F!

She is not going to have a problem because she married you or you filed.

Best of everything,

PS. I think we should keep information relevant to the thread as additional information may just confuse the OP and Mrs. OP (Going back to Turkey, Visa Waiver Overstay- If any one has any knowledge of USCIS offices that are denying VWP AOS other than SD..please post on my VWP thread)

Being dense here with the terms of art ... so my understanding is failure to maintain nonimigrant status under para. 10(F) of the instructions means an overstay and not something else ... so 10(F)(1) kicks in and makes everything okay.

p.s. For general curiosity, we are less than 30 days past visa expiration.

Edited by BrNv

The section of 245(i) adjustment is what makes the difference here.

An alien

who was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States may be

adjusted by the Attorney General, in his discretion and under such

regulations as he may prescribe, to that of an alien lawfully admitted

for permanent residence if:

1. the alien makes an application for such adjustment,

2. the alien is eligible to receive an immigrant visa and is admissible

to the United States for permanent residence,

3. and an immigrant visa is immediately available to him at the time his

application is filed.

You married a US citizen, and therefore have an immigrant visa immediately available to you. Also, if you look at paragraph 10(F) in the )-485 instructions, you fall into the F(1) category.

You can so some searches here on VJ as well, you'll find a ton of people who are adjusting from visa overstay. How long is your overstay, btw? As long as you keep in mind that you cannot leave the US until you have that green card, you will most likely be just fine.

Edited by Mrs.Finland-USA

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Timeline

The section of 245(i) adjustment is what makes the difference here.

An alien

who was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States may be

adjusted by the Attorney General, in his discretion and under such

regulations as he may prescribe, to that of an alien lawfully admitted

for permanent residence if:

1. the alien makes an application for such adjustment,

2. the alien is eligible to receive an immigrant visa and is admissible

to the United States for permanent residence,

3. and an immigrant visa is immediately available to him at the time his

application is filed.

You married a US citizen, and therefore have an immigrant visa immediately available to you. Also, if you look at paragraph 10(F) in the )-485 instructions, you fall into the F(1) category.

You can so some searches here on VJ as well, you'll find a ton of people who are adjusting from visa overstay. How long is your overstay, btw? As long as you keep in mind that you cannot leave the US until you have that green card, you will most likely be just fine.

That is exactly what we were looking for ... the 245(i) exception. Thank you (and everyone) so much! Yes, we know about not leaving and the overstay is just under 4 weeks. But that info is always desired when trying to assist someone.

Being dense here with the terms of art ... so my understanding is failure to maintain nonimigrant status under para. 10(F) of the instructions means an overstay and not something else ... so 10(F)(1) kicks in and makes everything okay.

p.s. For general curiosity, we are less than 30 days past visa expiration.

Basically yes. The 245(i) doesn't even matter for you. What matters is you are under 10 F 1 which is the pertinent part of the I-485 instructions.

Edited by Myopia

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

Filed: Other Timeline

Send all of these forms concurrently: I-130, I-485, I-765, I-864, and G-325A.

Do not submit an I-131.

Hug your wife and tell her there's no reason to be worried. The AOS process and adjusting after visa overstay is day-in, day-out business for the USCIS folks. They won't raise an eyebrow, nor will they even bother to ask about it. It's a total non-issue.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Timeline

I feel your wifes worry, I been worried, crying and all stressed out too thank goodness my husband makes me feel better and tells me it will be ok, anyways im an overstay too but on an h4 visa, my aunt has a same visa as ur wife and got out of status for awhile, but now she is a us citizen thru her husband, she will be ok

Our AOS Journey

March 4, 2011 Mailed 1-130 and AOS at the Chicago Lockbox thru USPS express mail

March 07, 2011, 9:44 am Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

March 25, 2011 NOA hard copy received

April 1, 2011 got an RFE for sponsors tax returns

April 15, 2011 biometrics appointment

May 12, 2011 rfe sent via usps priority mail

May 16, 2011 rfe recieved at lees summit

May 19, 2011 text/email notification rfe being reviewed

May 20,2011 I-485 touched/updated

May 27, 2011 Email/txt EAD Card Production

June 1, 2011 Email/txt notification for AOS Interview

June 3, 2011 Email notification EAD Card was mailed

June 7, 2011 EAD Card Received

July 6, 2011 AOS Interview *APPROVED*

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sri Lanka
Timeline

That is exactly what we were looking for ... the 245(i) exception. Thank you (and everyone) so much! Yes, we know about not leaving and the overstay is just under 4 weeks. But that info is always desired when trying to assist someone.

My husband was 8-10 *years* out of status when I applied for him. At the interview, the IO didn't ask one question about it. My husband was approved right then and got his green card a few weeks later.

Sept 22 2009 Married

Mar 8 2010 Sent AOS paperwork to Chicago Lock box

Mar 10 2010 Paperwork received by USCIS

Mar 16 2010 Received acknowledgment emails

Mar 17 2010 Checks cashed

Apr 09 2010 Biometrics Appointment

Jun 16 2010 Interview- approved on the spot- no stamp

Jul 03 2010 Green card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.