nylonmac

What are you bringing over with you?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm waiting on my interview date at the London embassy now, but hoping to be leaving the UK in early May to be with my fiancée.

Anyway, I'm a 25 year old computer geek, and I've been living in a shared house since August. I've been trying to look at my possessions now to see exactly what I need/want to see if my stuff really warrants me shipping stuff or even paying for excess baggage.

So far tonight, I have catalogued and rated my clothes, trying to figure out what clothes are gone and what are ok. I've found that I have around 70 items of clothing, and have found at least 16 of those either ill fitting, poor condition, or just don't like them anymore and they will be going to charity.

Then I can sell my Car (1997 Hyundai Coupe) and Bicycle for something before I leave.

But what about computers and screens? Should I bring my computers? I could hypothetically take the hard drives out and keep them with me, but I really like my computers and the PSUs can be switched to US voltage. On the other hand, they are heavy items and would probably be replaced for less than they might be shipped for. Then what about my Bass guitar? Could I take this on board with me?

Start of relationship

??/07/2008 - A random Skype message came through to me from an American girl

14/02/2009 - After months of talking, the American girl flew over to me - I knew we were meant to be

18/08/2009 - I proposed to her on Brighton Beach, UK

K1 Journey

15/07/2010 - We finally put in the i129f application - after shortly considering me going there on VWP, marrying and trying to Adjust Status, but was too risky

03/01/2011 - NOA2 on the day Dawn returned to NY after spending Christmas with me

10/02/2011 - I visited NY for 3 weeks (let this hold up the K1 process)

28/02/2011 - Medical

29/03/2011 - K1 Interview at London Embassy - Visa granted!

01/04/2011 - Visa in hand

Next Stage

03/05/2011 - POE in JFK - can't wait!

04/06/2011 - Our Wedding Day :)

I will be taking myself, two cases, one carry on, one laptop and that is it. Everything else will be sold. Thankfully I don't have too much to get rid of.

ROC Timeline

4-26-13------Eligible to file for ROC

6-17-13------Sent off I-751 Package

6-19-13------VSC Received our package. Signed for by K. Fitzgerald

6-24-13------Received NOA in the mail, dated 6-20-13

6-24-13------Check Cashed

7-05-13------Received Biometrics Appointment letter in the mail for 7-18-13

7-18-13------Biometrics done

8-20-13------Case Transferred to CSC for further processing

8-24-13------Transfer notice arrived in the mail today

10-21-13----ROC Approved!

10-25-13----Received approval letter in the mail

10-28-13----Production of 10 Yr Green Card ordered

11-01-13----Card has been mailed!....Received USPS tracking number

11-04-13----10yr Green Card arrived in the mail today....Yay!!

2gsxvmz.png

It's quite funny that I just read your post whilst simultaneously checking out the rates for extra bags on various airlines..!

I'm taking 2 excess weight suitcases, carry on and my wedding dress :-) My mum is then gonna bring another large suitcase of my stuff when she comes over for the wedding.

I'm actually a musician myself (double bass!) and I'm pretty sure you won't be able to take your bass guitar on with you unfortunately...Def not if it's in a hard case, it's too long. If it's just in a soft case perhaps, but personally I wouldn't want to risk the potential damage putting it in the overhead locker...

My husband shipped boxes and boxes of computer cr@p, but he loves all that stuff and it was worth it to him. He's the guy that if anybody says, "do you have a [cable, switch, plug, any version of Windows] he can pull one out.

Here's what he did with his desktop computer. He took everything out of the case, wrapped the bits in bubble wrap or t-shirts, and packed them in his checked luggage. He put the hard drive in his carryon bag. He left the case and monitor (and the desk). So first stop in America after leaving the airport was Fry electronics to buy a cheap case with power supply. I had a spare monitor. By nightfall, he had his computer up and running. After a few months he found a great deal and bought a new computer. Then he decided I needed a new one. We've got at least 6 computers running and 4 laptops plus the computer graveyard of bits and pieces. He hardwired a network plus wireless. He's crazy, but happy.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Anybody have experience with bringing a ps3? My fiance is debating on whether to sell his and get a new one here, or to bring his with him from home. I think it'd be best for him to get a new one here as it's guaranteed to work and can bring it back if problems occur. Any thoughts/experience?

09-10-10 | Sent 129F to Texas lockbox

09-13-10 | NOA1 received

02-03-11 | NOA2 finally received

02-08-11 | NOA2 hardcopy

02-17-11 | NVC received

02-25-11 | Consulate received

03-03-11 | Packet 3 received

03-04-11 | Packet 3 sent

03-11-11 | Medical

03-28-11 | Interview!

03-31-11 | Visa Received

04-15-11 | POE Chicago

Anybody have experience with bringing a ps3? My fiance is debating on whether to sell his and get a new one here, or to bring his with him from home. I think it'd be best for him to get a new one here as it's guaranteed to work and can bring it back if problems occur. Any thoughts/experience?

Hey,

i sold my PS3 befoe i left, didnt want to get it damaged and it`s fun to get a new one :devil:

mGDboiw.jpgmGDbm4.png

zzflag019.gif united-states-flag.gif

03/31/2010 filed I129

12/16/2010 Interwiew-Approved

02/07/2011 POE-Chicago

03/16/2011 Wedding!!!

05/23/2011 AOS,EAD,AP apps sent

07/15/2011 EAD, AP approved

10/05/2011 AOS approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Y'know, we're talking about physical possessions, but consider this:

1. Bring at least TWO (preferably THREE) official copies of your birth certificate, divorce certificate (if applicable), university or school transcripts (in sealed/endorsed envelopes), and vaccination records. If it's cheaper to get necessary vaccinations in your country, do that while you can, and have them transcribed onto your official inoculation record or get two (three) original-signature (or office-stamped) copies.

2. If you have a driver's license, renew it so that it's as fresh as possible. If you don't have one, do everything in your power to get it.

3. If your visa isn't already in your passport, renew your passport so that it's as fresh as possible.

There may be other such items that you can think of, but the above should not be overlooked. They're a LOT easier to get now than if you're overseas in the U.S. and need them, perhaps desperately.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

PS3s are region unlocked for games, I had NCAA Football on my PAL one and played a PAL game on my fiancee's cousin's PS3 in NY. As long as you use HDMI for the TV and get a US specific Kettle lead, you'll be fine. I got rid of mine though, it was the big one and after Sony took away the Other OS option, a big reason to have it, I sold it.

I like the idea of just packing the components and having a case waiting for me over in the US. I still have the box and protection for one of my monitors, which is a nice 1080p monitor, so I might see if I could put the box in a bag as excess baggage. My other computer and monitor I can sell. The furniture is all my housemates.

The Bass guitar is really for sentimental reasons, it was a cheap bass, but one I was given for my 18th birthday, it's in a soft case, but they may not like it in the cabin. My housemate offered to store a few things that I want to keep for a while and DHL them over a couple of months after I've left, which is awesome of him, so maybe the Bass could be a candidate for that.

My driving license is gong to expire in September (10 year old photo), so I will be getting that renewed at the start of April and all of my paperwork is well organized, so I'm happy with that (except for my school transcripts, I left more than 7 years ago and they say they dispose of them if they are older than 7 years old. I also lost my GCSE certificates but no jobs I've had since (in IT) have ever asked for these since! I also have something lined up with a company in New York, had an 'interview' with a founding partner and he wasn't worried about my schooling in the UK.

While I can't work out there at first, I'll be getting a spool of cat 5e or cat 6, networking the house and doing any odd jobs needed, I know they have an internal door which needs sorting out. I might even replace the bunny ears with a proper antenna and go running every day.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Start of relationship

??/07/2008 - A random Skype message came through to me from an American girl

14/02/2009 - After months of talking, the American girl flew over to me - I knew we were meant to be

18/08/2009 - I proposed to her on Brighton Beach, UK

K1 Journey

15/07/2010 - We finally put in the i129f application - after shortly considering me going there on VWP, marrying and trying to Adjust Status, but was too risky

03/01/2011 - NOA2 on the day Dawn returned to NY after spending Christmas with me

10/02/2011 - I visited NY for 3 weeks (let this hold up the K1 process)

28/02/2011 - Medical

29/03/2011 - K1 Interview at London Embassy - Visa granted!

01/04/2011 - Visa in hand

Next Stage

03/05/2011 - POE in JFK - can't wait!

04/06/2011 - Our Wedding Day :)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I got rid of everything that was replaceable and initially I brought just a big suitcase of my clothes and a few other things.. I had two totes of stuff that I left behind. my mom shipped some of it to me after I moved and the rest I picked up when we drove up there for a visit..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I left everything behind apart from some photos, documents that could come in handy and my clothing.

I think you would save yourself the hassle, the time, the space and the money if you just sold it all and took the essentials with you and maybe replace the stuff you sold with the money that you got for it. You might even find that you will make a little money once you get to the States.

Im pretty sure it will cost you an arm and a leg to send heavy things across to the States and whats the point of risking it being damaged and then having to buy it new anyway?

I also believe you might be able to take your guitar on board with you, you will just have to pay for extra luggage.

English_flag.gifflag_german.gif

USCIS Journey

29.01.2010 I-130 sent!! Let the journey begin

05.02.2010 NOA1 recieved

08.02.2010 Recieved NOA1 Hardcopy

05.03.2010 Visiting my husband for 2 weeks <3

20.03.2010 Arrived back in Germany :(

24.03.2010 NOA2 Approved (recieved email)

I-130 was approved within 47days

NVC Journey

30.03.2010 NVC recieved - Case number assigned

01.04.2010 Gave NVC email addys

05.04.2010 Recieved NOA2 Hard copy

08.04.2010 Recieved AOS Bill

12.04.2010 Sent NVC E-mail

14.04.2010 Email from NVC, DS-3032 Accepted

14.04.2010 AOS Fee paid

15.04.2010 AOS Fee Shows PAID

02.05.2010 IV Fee paid

06.05.2010 Iv Fee shows PAID

10.05.2010 Sent AOS & IV packages 3:49pm

11.05.2010 NVC signed for packages 2:27pm

19.05.2010 AVR updated, NVC recieved documents

26.05.2010 SIGN IN FAIL!

27.05.2010 Case Complete YAY!!!

11.06.2010 Interview date assigned 12th July 7.30am

05.07.2010 Medical in Dortmund

12.07.2010 INTERVIEW!..APPROVED!!!

27.07.2010 POE ATL

http://britgirlinamerica.blogspot.com/ Take a look, its all about my visa journey and my life in America

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I loaded all of my CDs, DVDs, and CDROMSs into binders.

I brought my Wii, Xbox1, a box of small toys,

and 15 large boxes of books.

and a pile of clothes that I threw in the back of my car on top of the book boxes.

You can fit 16 photocopier paper boxes into a 2-door Pontiac Sunfire if you don't have to carry passengers and aren't fussy about having to get into the glove compartment. :)

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Y'know, we're talking about physical possessions, but consider this:

1. Bring at least TWO (preferably THREE) official copies of your birth certificate, divorce certificate (if applicable), university or school transcripts (in sealed/endorsed envelopes), and vaccination records. If it's cheaper to get necessary vaccinations in your country, do that while you can, and have them transcribed onto your official inoculation record or get two (three) original-signature (or office-stamped) copies.

2. If you have a driver's license, renew it so that it's as fresh as possible. If you don't have one, do everything in your power to get it.

3. If your visa isn't already in your passport, renew your passport so that it's as fresh as possible.

There may be other such items that you can think of, but the above should not be overlooked. They're a LOT easier to get now than if you're overseas in the U.S. and need them, perhaps desperately.

This is excellent advice!!!

7/19/2010 NOA1

12/13/2010 NOA2 Document Received

12/27/2010 Embassy e-mail Package 3.5 received

01/31/2011 Embassy Interview Date

01/31/2011 K1 Visa Approved 6 months, 1 week, & 4 days from NAO1

02/26/2011 In the US

05/26/2011 Married!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I plan to take my cat with me. Anyone else doing this or done it already?

I'm taking mine.. Not really sure what I need to do though. I think you have to get a vet to check them over a week before flying. It seems pretty simple bringing cats from the uk from what i've read cos it's a rabies free country but we'll see.. :blink:

event.png

Christian (25) USC

Jessika (23) UKC

<3

http://www.facebook.com/jessitoburrito

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.