aquameo

Options for a Student to Sponser his Fiancee from Viet Nam?

41 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I signed back in to add this.

If you were 30's and in the middle of sponsoring your immediate relatives, ie. Mom, Dad, sibblings and have recently lost your job due to this sour economy and now need assistance from another person (co-sponsor), excusable.

Even though the law allows co-sponsor on CR-1 cases, the C/O will now look at your case very much differently. You have NOT even started your petition yet. The C/O will point out that you DO have an option either to finish your schooling first, then get a job or temporarily stop schooling and have a sufficient income to be "responsible" for your love. Once she's here, if she's OK with working while you go back and finish your schooling, then you're a very lucky hubby.

Put yourself in the C/O's shoes. Don't look at the issue from your perspective and expect the C/O to agree with you.

Just remember, life over there in VN is NOT real! Your money will be worth a LOT less once you get back over here. Back to reality, cowboy!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Me too :)

I put myself in CO's shoes and I see a man who is about to get his degree and move on to a well paying job :) how much money person makes currently, how much money they have at their disposal and their earning potential - are not necessarily all the same.

Besides, there are plenty of people who use co-sponsors. There is nothing wrong with it.

Bryan lives with his step-father who is willing to sponsor his fiance. It tells me right there that Bryan knows how to be frugal and has a good family/support network.

Edited to add: it will probably be 8-9 months after filing I-130 before the girl even goes in front of the CO. He may be able to finish his school while waiting for her paperwork to go through.

I signed back in to add this.

If you were 30's and in the middle of sponsoring your immediate relatives, ie. Mom, Dad, sibblings and have recently lost your job due to this sour economy and now need assistance from another person (co-sponsor), excusable.

Even though the law allows co-sponsor on CR-1 cases, the C/O will now look at your case very much differently. You have NOT even started your petition yet. The C/O will point out that you DO have an option either to finish your schooling first, then get a job or temporarily stop schooling and have a sufficient income to be "responsible" for your love. Once she's here, if she's OK with working while you go back and finish your schooling, then you're a very lucky hubby.

Put yourself in the C/O's shoes. Don't look at the issue from your perspective and expect the C/O to agree with you.

Edited by rika60607

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

You need to find out if Vietnam Embassy will approve K1 with co-sponsor. The Philippines will not approve a K1 filer that needs a co-sponsor. I have read too many K-1 filers in Philippines getting rejected because of the need for a co-sponsor.

If you file a CR-1, prepare to wait approximately 10 months from NOA1 to interview. The good news it once the USCIS approves the petition and everything is truthfully disclosed, you should have no problems during interview for the CR1 visa.

You should seriously consider the CR1 route.

For me, the income was never an issue during the CR1 process. I have a few years on you.

Good Luck!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Here is what someone like you said in his review of the consulate.

By the way, I have also posted my experience with the consulate here as well.

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?trim=no&cty=&cnty=Vietnam&page=9&dfilter=5

In case the link doesn't work, it's page 9 of the consulate reviews. The guy made over $7,000 a year as a student and the finance issue never came up.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

this isn't about the PI consulate and the HCMC consulate does not care what NVC got or did, many got approved at NVC and denied at HCMC. Better chance of hittin the lotto than to get HCMC to approve a k1 cosponsor. It is an uphill battle all the way

You need to find out if Vietnam Embassy will approve K1 with co-sponsor. The Philippines will not approve a K1 filer that needs a co-sponsor. I have read too many K-1 filers in Philippines getting rejected because of the need for a co-sponsor.

If you file a CR-1, prepare to wait approximately 10 months from NOA1 to interview. The good news it once the USCIS approves the petition and everything is truthfully disclosed, you should have no problems during interview for the CR1 visa.

You should seriously consider the CR1 route.

For me, the income was never an issue during the CR1 process. I have a few years on you.

Good Luck!

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

IMHO, if the CO sees that the relationship is not a sham he will interview your finace.

Now at the interview, she must "prove" to him that she can be of an asset when she comes to America...i.e. no public charge.

Bottom line, if your finance is confident and appears "smart", her chance of getting approval is just as good as anyone.

I truely beleive the interview weighs about 50% in most cases.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My USC wife was unemployed through our whole K-1 process. Her mother, who makes more than enough for a household of 4, was our cosponsor, and everything went fine.

Of course, we were going through the Vancouver, Canada consulate, which is notoriously easy-going. But assuming the Vietnam consulate accepts cosponsors, that part at least shouldn't be a problem.

The CR-1 process is significantly cheaper than the K-1 process, but requires you to get married first, and then be separated for another 8-12 months. But it allows her to work the instant she lands in the US, and saves you the AOs fees, and so may very well be the better option in your situation.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Thank you all for your answers.

For my schooling, I am still a couple of years away from graduating and the economy in northern California is slow. Taking a year off of school isn't really an option.

I talked to a marriage lawyer and he also said that the CR-1 is the best way to go. He also said an Affidavit of Support is $350 from them... I contacted the County Vital Statistic Records. They said that I can come in and do it there for $14.00 and it takes 10 minutes, but they can only do a county wide search, not for the whole state. Would it be ok to do an affidavit for just the county level?

At this point, Khanh Chi and I are considering a hastey wedding. I'm concerned that we won't have enough time to get everything together and that the CO would pick at the details.

Dau Que: I see what you mean. Thanks for being being honest. Thinking like a CO is what I have to do. I paid for my own travel expenses and take care of my living for the most part. I work at a couple jobs that do cash transactions and can't get a paper trail going. It's a trade off between giving up sure money in a bad economy to go look for a job that accepts a full time student worker. Money is always a concern, but we have been engaged for three years, and her family over there is losing faith by the day.

jeromebinh: I last saw my fiancee September 2009, so it has been under the two year mark, but cutting it close.

bread: Best of luck to you.

Timeline

Affidavit of support is just a form that you fill out and submit at some point to (trying to remember) NVC perhaps? Anyway, it is free. You and your co-sponsor will fill it out and sign, there is no payment required to do it. Read the guides on CR-1 visa.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

I talked to a marriage lawyer and he also said that the CR-1 is the best way to go. He also said an Affidavit of Support is $350 from them... I contacted the County Vital Statistic Records. They said that I can come in and do it there for $14.00 and it takes 10 minutes, but they can only do a county wide search, not for the whole state. Would it be ok to do an affidavit for just the county level?

CR-1 Timeline

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Timeline

Good for you! Do not let beurocratic issues stand in the way of your happiness :thumbs:

I am sure a wedding in Vietnam can be done with better quality/price ratio than in the US and her family would appreciate being able to be at the wedding... especially since she will move away from them some time after.

You do not need to get too many papers together: apart from a number of forms that you can easily fill out and mail to USCIS yourself, you will need a copy of your marriage certificate, copies of divorce certificates if either of you were previously married and some pics from your wedding. Also, affidavits (statements) from people who know about your relationship - may be her parents and your step-father could write letters?

At this point, Khanh Chi and I are considering a hastey wedding. I'm concerned that we won't have enough time to get everything together and that the CO would pick at the details.

CR-1 Timeline

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Timeline

Good for you! Do not let beurocratic issues stand in the way of your happiness :thumbs:

I am sure a wedding in Vietnam can be done with better quality/price ratio than in the US and her family would appreciate being able to be at the wedding... especially since she will move away from them some time after.

You do not need to get too many papers together: apart from a number of forms that you can easily fill out and mail to USCIS yourself, you will need a copy of your marriage certificate, copies of divorce certificates if either of you were previously married and some pics from your wedding. Also, affidavits (statements) from people who know about your relationship - may be her parents and your step-father could write letters?

Sadly, nothing is that simple when seeking an immigrant visa from Vietnam.

Thank you all for your answers.

For my schooling, I am still a couple of years away from graduating and the economy in northern California is slow. Taking a year off of school isn't really an option.

Dau Que: I see what you mean. Thanks for being being honest. Thinking like a CO is what I have to do. I paid for my own travel expenses and take care of my living for the most part. I work at a couple jobs that do cash transactions and can't get a paper trail going. It's a trade off between giving up sure money in a bad economy to go look for a job that accepts a full time student worker. Money is always a concern, but we have been engaged for three years, and her family over there is losing faith by the day.

jeromebinh: I last saw my fiancee September 2009, so it has been under the two year mark, but cutting it close.

bread: Best of luck to you.

$350 for what? Completing the form? Save the money and do it yourself.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

You could have your interview in Australia, since you legally reside there.

Thanks for you advise. I did some research on this and they said this can only be done if I'm permanent resident here in Australia. I also lost my ID (not passport) so I need to get a new one in VN as well as visit my family.

My fiance do have partime job and earn roughly $12000. Should we put it together with all the co-sponsor paper?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Here is what someone like you said in his review of the consulate.

By the way, I have also posted my experience with the consulate here as well.

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?trim=no&cty=&cnty=Vietnam&page=9&dfilter=5

In case the link doesn't work, it's page 9 of the consulate reviews. The guy made over $7,000 a year as a student and the finance issue never came up.

Extremely helpful, thanks heaps!!!!!!

Timeline

wow, this is such a shattered news to us!

We almost certain that co sponsor is possible. We filed K1 and had HCM number, waiting for the P3 and 4.

The only reason we go for this k1 choice is because we do not have time to do the marriage thing in vietnam

My finance is 1st year Pharm Dr in USC while I'm accountant in Australia (working visa). So I only have 3 weeks for my annual leave to fly back to VN for the engagement.

Both of us already have 5 years in relationship. We are uni sweetheart, 5 years, she's in the state while I've been in Oz until recently she got citizenship. Every years we both have to flight back to VN to visit each other.

What should I do, should I get a lawer or something to boost the chance?

An attorney won't improve your chances unless you made a mistake completing a form or have a very complex case. Regarding the joint sponsor, approvals for K visas using a joint sponsor through HCMC are rare.

The quoted review is from 2008 so things may have changed. A blood relative of the petitioner would be the best chance as a joint sponsor. The CO would see that person as more likely to follow through on any commitment. And also assume that person would be the joint sponsor for the Adjustment of Status phase where the I-864 has a stronger contract in place.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Strange. Plenty of people had their interviews in countries other than their country of citizenship, myself including... are you confident in the sources who told you you must be a permanent resident? It could be correct, but it must be an embassy specific rule then.

Thanks for you advise. I did some research on this and they said this can only be done if I'm permanent resident here in Australia. I also lost my ID (not passport) so I need to get a new one in VN as well as visit my family.

My fiance do have partime job and earn roughly $12000. Should we put it together with all the co-sponsor paper?

CR-1 Timeline

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.