aquameo

Options for a Student to Sponser his Fiancee from Viet Nam?

41 posts in this topic

Hello, my name is Bryan. I am an older student from San Jose, California. I have a fiancee in Viet Nam. We met back in the summer of 2007 and became engaged in the summer of 2008. I went back the summer of 2009, but was not able to go for 2010 because I had to take summer classes that year. I plan on going back this summer at the end of May.

Khanh Chi and I have been going over our options on how to be can be together. I want to bring her here, but have a problem fulfilling the income requirement due to being a student. My step father whom I live with would like to help, and he makes enough.

We have been thinking of doing a K-1 Fiancee Visa, but I have read on these forums that K visas rarely pass with co-soponsers. We have been waiting for each other for four years, and it is heartbreaking to be away for so long. We are both getting older (I am 30 this year) and don't want time to continue slipping away. Any help on possible options would be greatly appreciated.

- Bryan Do

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Without meaningful income, how will you support yourself, her and/or any coming child/ren in the future once she's here?

The C/O has thought of this scenario in advance for you. We can't help you in regards to your financial situation.

PS> when you're financially trapped, you're setting up your case for being denied (people in these cases tend to commit in immigration fraud for the $$$). I'm NOT saying it's your case, but that's what in most C/Os' heads.

Go get a job. Try to earn above the federal poverty line for at least a year and then think about submitting the paperwork. At your age, you can't longer use the "go back to school" excuse. If you have no or insufficient income, love MUST wait, according to the USCIS.

Edited by Dau Que

Just remember, life over there in VN is NOT real! Your money will be worth a LOT less once you get back over here. Back to reality, cowboy!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Can you get married in Vietnam? If you are going there this coming summer - just do that.

You will then file for CR-1, which is cheaper than K-1 and you will not have a problem with acceptance of your stepfather's sponsorship.

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with being in school when you are 30. Geez, I thought you were 60, when I saw the "older student" comment :lol:

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Without meaningful income, how will you support yourself, her and/or any coming child/ren in the future once she's here?

The C/O has thought of this scenario in advance for you. We can't help you in regards to your financial situation.

PS> when you're financially trapped, you're setting up your case for being denied (people in these cases tend to commit in immigration fraud for the $$$). I'm NOT saying it's your case, but that's what in most C/Os' heads.

Go get a job. Try to earn above the federal poverty line for at least a year and then think about submitting the paperwork. At your age, you can't longer use the "go back to school" excuse. If you have no or insufficient income, love MUST wait, according to the USCIS.

I completely disagree with this.

Lots of my friends supportted themselves through graduate school with student loans and part time jobs. They support themselves just fine.

Taking a leave from school is not a good idea because most people don't go back.

-------------------------

To the OP.

Go to Viet Nam and get marry. File the I-130. Have your step-father be the joint sponsor. That's the easiest way to do it. Once she's your wife and she immigrates to the US, she can start working immediately. There goes Dau Que's concerns about your family's ability to financially support yourselves.

I agreed with all. You should file CR-1, going back to VN marry her, and start working on your SINGLE STATUS. It's much cheaper for CR1 than K visa, And you Step father will be a co-sponsor for you.

30 years old going back to school is not OLD bro.

Good Luck.

I-130 Journey

USCIS

06-15-2008 : Marriage

08-16-2008 : I-130 Sent

08-18-2008 : I-130 Received

08-22-2008 : I-130 NOA1

02-02-2009 : I-130 NOA2 Approved 164 days from NOA1

NVC

02-04-2009 : Visited my wife for 2 weeks. 02-22-2009 come back to US

02-11-2009 : Received package from NVC

02-23-2009 : AOS Paid $70 (Online)

02-23-2009 : DS-3032 sent (by email)

02-25-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (AOS)

03-04-2009 : NVC has received the Choice of Agent DS-3032 (Online)

03-04-2009 : IV Application Processing Fees $400 (Online)

03-05-2009 : Payment Received from my bank (IV APS)

03-07-2009 : DS-230, and I-864 Sent (by USPS)

03-12-2009 : USPS confirm arrived at NVC for DS-230, & I-864

03-13-2009 : NVC received DS-230, & I-864 (Case in progress)

03-20-2009 : NVC case completed in 1 week NVC completed 03-20-2009.

04-02-2009 : NVC Left to HCM city

04-22-2009 : Medical Passed

05-12-2009 : Received a package IV from HCM Consulate by email

05-18-2009 : My wife got Pink.. yeah..

05-26-2009 : Visa received

06-18-2009 : US Entry!!! Yeah, my wife finally here.

06-29-2009 : Received SSN from snail mail

07-20-2009 : Green card received by mail

09-15-2009 : Writting test from DVM.

11-03-2009 : Driving Test.

01-20-2010 : Working.

04-20-2011 : Submit I751

04-26-2011 : Received I-797 NOA with Receipt Number

05-11-2011 : Received ASC Appointment Notice

06-03-2011 : Biometrics Apts @ 11:00 AM

10-11-2011 : Submit more evidence.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Can you get married in Vietnam? If you are going there this coming summer - just do that.

You will then file for CR-1, which is cheaper than K-1 and you will not have a problem with acceptance of your stepfather's sponsorship.

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with being in school when you are 30. Geez, I thought you were 60, when I saw the "older student" comment :lol:

Getting married is an option only if he has a cosponsor... the income is still an issue.

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you need a joint sponsor to meet the income requirement then a K visa through HCMC is a tremendous long shot. Better to follow the advice of the group and plan to marry during your trip in May/June and then file a spouse visa petition.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

wow, this is such a shattered news to us!

We almost certain that co sponsor is possible. We filed K1 and had HCM number, waiting for the P3 and 4.

The only reason we go for this k1 choice is because we do not have time to do the marriage thing in vietnam

My finance is 1st year Pharm Dr in USC while I'm accountant in Australia (working visa). So I only have 3 weeks for my annual leave to fly back to VN for the engagement.

Both of us already have 5 years in relationship. We are uni sweetheart, 5 years, she's in the state while I've been in Oz until recently she got citizenship. Every years we both have to flight back to VN to visit each other.

What should I do, should I get a lawer or something to boost the chance?

Timeline

I would be grateful and thankful if you could give me some detail. At least, there is a light in the tunnel.

This was the thread where someone said that they had a cosponsor for a K1 and it was accepted. Someone else chimed in also that said they knew they accepted them. I would message them both and ask for their expertise since they know about it.

Link:http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/297993-k-1-single-status-lay-off/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

This was the thread where someone said that they had a cosponsor for a K1 and it was accepted. Someone else chimed in also that said they knew they accepted them. I would message them both and ask for their expertise since they know about it.

Link:http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/297993-k-1-single-status-lay-off/

Thank you so so much. I feel much better now!!!

God bless

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You could have your interview in Australia, since you legally reside there.

wow, this is such a shattered news to us!

We almost certain that co sponsor is possible. We filed K1 and had HCM number, waiting for the P3 and 4.

The only reason we go for this k1 choice is because we do not have time to do the marriage thing in vietnam

My finance is 1st year Pharm Dr in USC while I'm accountant in Australia (working visa). So I only have 3 weeks for my annual leave to fly back to VN for the engagement.

Both of us already have 5 years in relationship. We are uni sweetheart, 5 years, she's in the state while I've been in Oz until recently she got citizenship. Every years we both have to flight back to VN to visit each other.

What should I do, should I get a lawer or something to boost the chance?

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Did I ever say that being over 30's and going back to school is too OLD? No. I said at that age, it's NOT normal to stay with your parents and EXPECT them to support you to get married.

At that age, you're expected to be financially independent, especially if you plan to have a love life.

Anyway, OP, don't believe me? Go ahead and go there, marry her and go with the CR-1 route. I just point it out to you that if I were the C/O, it wouldn't look good if someone has to depend on someone else (income that is) and demands the USCIS to approve his petition for love. If you can't even afford to pay for your trips, and whatever else involves in your relationship, you expect the USCIS believe that you and your future family will be financially independent?

If you're in the early 20's, excusable (if the C/O is in good mood). But if you're a lot older, expect rejection from the USCIS.

Just remember, life over there in VN is NOT real! Your money will be worth a LOT less once you get back over here. Back to reality, cowboy!

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Regarless if you file a K1 or a CR1 visa everyone has overlooked one very big mistake. I know you said you WERE going to go back to see her, here is the biggest issue. You MUST have met and prove you have met at least 1 time in the PREVIOUS 2 YEARS before you file, if the last time you met was 2009 and it is now 2011 this might be too late so you might need to wait until you meet again before you file. It doesnt matter if you have not met recently (2 years or less) they will NOT approve your visa application. As others have said a CR1 will be the best chance for a visa. They have accepted co sponsors but at HCMC it is a bit more unlikely that they will not, but you might get through. As others have said a CR1 is also cheaper and with your current finances, it would probably be better to get married and file for a CR1 instead of a K1 visa, but regardless of what you decide to do it is your choice, and they can and have approved people for a K1 visa with a co sponsor.

Good Luck Jerome and Binh

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.