The Sarge

K1 Interview relocation

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

We have a k1 That is in processing. We will be getting married in jordan in april and she will come back to the states with me then. If the k1 interview comes through while she is here can we schedule the interview in the states so she would not have to fly back to jordan?

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

If you get married in Jordan and it's a state recognized marriage, she cannot enter on the basis of a K1, as a K1 requires that the individual (in this case, your fiancée) be single and marry their sponsor, in the US (or US territories), within 90 days of entry.

If you get married before she has her visa AND enters the US on the visa, you will invaidate the K1 and will need to start the immigration process over (for a K3 or a CR1 visa).

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We have a k1 That is in processing. We will be getting married in jordan in april and she will come back to the states with me then. If the k1 interview comes through while she is here can we schedule the interview in the states so she would not have to fly back to jordan?

You've confused me............

K-1 is a Fiancee Visa, if you marry in April, before your Interview, then you have to start from scratch and file for IR-1/CR-1.

Timeline

well i want to marry her in april in jordan I want her to be able to stay as long as possible. I was given to believe the k3 is no longer an option. if we marry and she comes here on her tourist visa she will be denied. so how am I supposed to get this done. I cant seem to get a straight answer. I just want to marry her and have her here in the states the jumping through hoops here is out of control. No wonder people come illegal they make it impossible to do it "right".

Edited by The Sarge

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I would say if you plan to marry in April, you will use the CR1 route. You can't file for that until after you are married, of course. I don't believe there is any problem with her visiting you on her tourist visa during the process, but her interview will have to take place in Jordan.

event.png

Timeline

thats encouraging......so if I just let the k1 run its course it will get denied because they are going to look into the jordanian records to see if she is married? If we go the other route I file a cr1 tomorrow say then get married in april can she come back with me on the tourist visa until the cr1 clears?

Edited by The Sarge

thats encouraging......so if I just let the k1 run its course it will get denied because they are going to look into the jordanian records to see if she is married? If we go the other route I file a cr1 tomorrow say married in april can she come back with me on the tourist visa until the cr1 clears?

You can't file the CR-1 until you're legally married, wherever that happens.

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve, namely getting married in April in Jordan or getting her to the US as soon as you can?

If you follow through with the K-1, you will need to get married in the US. She has to enter the US as a legally unmarried woman and you'll have 90 days in from entry in which to actually get married.

If you get married in Jordan, legally, in April then there's no point in completing her K-1 application because it won't be approved; she's already your wife. You would have to file the CR-1 paperwork once you're married and complete that process. Look at the timelines for your Embassy/ Consulate, but it's highly unlikely that it'll be completed within 6 months.

It's nearly impossible to give you more time-focused advice because you haven't completed your timeline in relation to your K-1 petition/ application.

ETA: She probably won't be granted entry on a tourist visa if she's your wife, because of the intent to immigrate. She'd have to travel back to Jordan to complete the CR-1 interview, even if she could get in.

"They" are not going to look into the Jordanian records, you would have to declare it. The application forms ask for your marital status etc. If she obtained a K-1 visa by saying she wasn't legally married when she was, they will find out and she'd be in a whole of trouble for having made false claims in order to obtain a visa.

Edited by SunDrop

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Just do it the correct way and don't try to "jack the system." If you try to do it the way you are saying, you will probably get screwed by your own doing.

Stay with the K-1 if you have already filed, don't get married in Jordan in April, get married when she gets to the states on the approved K-1. you'll save yourself a lot of heartache doing it correctly even is the system is screwed up, I for one know how screwed up it is.

Good luck!!

Timeline

In Jordan and as an Arab girl, the "wedding" status is only announced after the wedding party, and the "engaged" status is confirmed not by verbal proposal like it's done in the US between Americans but through signing a mutual contract of our bond, which is considered an engagement. My concern is that if we go ahead with the K1, is the American Government going to consider us married while the Jordanian one considers us engaged? It's done differently here and there so I really don't know what the correct visa is.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

In Jordan and as an Arab girl, the "wedding" status is only announced after the wedding party, and the "engaged" status is confirmed not by verbal proposal like it's done in the US between Americans but through signing a mutual contract of our bond, which is considered an engagement. My concern is that if we go ahead with the K1, is the American Government going to consider us married while the Jordanian one considers us engaged? It's done differently here and there so I really don't know what the correct visa is.

The US consulate in Jordan is well versed on local law... they will know what the answer is

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you filed the K-1 yet? If you have, how long ago did you file?

Even if you marry in April, and apply for the IR1 visa instead, there is no "easy" (and definitely no "fast") way to get your wife to the States, even while waiting for the process to go through.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say all of us here are suffering through a much-too-long separation either by going the K1 or the IR1 route and there is simply no way around it if we want to live together in the States.

If you go the K1 route, you can have an engagement party but not a wedding party in Jordan - you must not marry until after she enters the States with the K1 visa. She may be able to get a tourist visa while the K1 is in process but you should check the Regional Forums to see the possibility of that.

If you do marry in Jordan in April, it is even more unlikely that she'd be allowed to visit you until she had the spouse visa (I thought it was never allowed for any spouse visa applicant, but I could be wrong).

April, 2009 - We met

May, 2009 - We wooed

June, 2010 - We got engaged, looking forward to a small August 2010 wedding

** Reality Check: K-1 Process**

July 22, 2010 - NOA1

**5 months of patient waiting**

December 29, 2011 - call around for information about delay

January 5, 2011 - RFE notice (first online status update yet!)

January 10, 2011 - RFE Hardcopy

January 13, 2011 - RFE Response acknowledged

January 24, 2011 - NOA2 (at last!!)

February 3, 2011 - application sent from NVC to Montreal (aka. the Abyss?)

March 7, 2011 - Packet 3 sent to me

March 10, 2011 - Packet 3 delivered to Montreal

March 21, 2011 - Packet 4 sent to me

April 5, 2011 - Medical

April 13, 2011 - Interview - approved!

April 20, 2011 - visa in hand

May 9, 2011 - POE (Buffalo, NY)

May 10, 2011 - wedding :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Like everyone has said, you are not going through hoops you are just trying to jack the system hence make it harder for others to come here and be with their partners.

If you have started your 129f petition which is what you do here in the US for your fiancee to be allowed to arrive here on a K1 visa to marry you within 90 days of arrival. Again when did you start your 129f and send it off or have you not done this yet?

If you have then follow through with it, can't understand why you would want to cancel on petition and spend more money to start another application when you have one in process now. The 129f depending on what service centre it is being processed at is taking around 5-6 months right now.

If you want to marry her in April then yes you will have to cancel your 129f and start a CR1 after you marry there in Jordan. Once you are married you then come back to the US and start the proceedings and wait for approval. Takes around the same time as 129f for K1 visa.

Not too sure of Jordan but she should be able to visit you while the application is going through on a visitor visa for a month or two. She can't stay here she has to go back for interview and receive visa if approved and then comes here to be with you. Or you can go visit her.

Either way you can't receive a K1 visa to get her here and be married already just not happening. You have some reading to do .

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=c67c7f9ded54d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.