doodly

changing social security card

23 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I just got my green card in the mail today! :star:

I have a social security card which has my married name on it. I applied for it after I received my EAD. Now, do I have to change my social security card or inform the Social Security Administration of my permanent residence status? (Since my social security card says I can only work with DHS authorization, which should no longer be the case now, right?) How do I go about doing this? Do I just go to a social security office with my green card? Or is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks!

Edited by doodly

u can try to go to ur local social security to update to them that u have a GC now...

Hi all,

I just got my green card in the mail today! :star:

I have a social security card which has my married name on it. I applied for it after I received my EAD. Now, do I have to change my social security card or inform the Social Security Administration of my permanent residence status? (Since my social security card says I can only work with DHS authorization, which should no longer be the case now, right?) How do I go about doing this? Do I just go to a social security office with my green card? Or is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You have the EAD or the green card?

Your EAD is the DHS authorization. You don't update the SSN until you have the actual Green Card.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Go to your local social security office with your Green Card.

Show the office employee your GC and your Social security card, ask them if you need a new card without "DHC authorization" on it, since you don't need EAD anymore.

and they will tell you what to do.

Congratulations.

Filed: Other Timeline

You can apply for a new SS card, but you don't need to and there's really no point to it. It says you need DHS authorization to work, but you have that in form of the Green Card. So if you are applying for your job, you just show your Green Card. Pretty simple, huh?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

You can apply for a new SS card, but you don't need to and there's really no point to it. It says you need DHS authorization to work, but you have that in form of the Green Card. So if you are applying for your job, you just show your Green Card. Pretty simple, huh?

Yes it matters. It's one of the easiest things you'll ever do at the Social Security office so get it done.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/295155-what-does-this-mean-on-the-social-security-card/page__p__4494374#entry4494374

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Timeline

The main problem is when you have a two year green card. At some point in removing the conditions the green card will be expired and you have a restricted SSN card.

What about the NOA1 extending the validity for 1 year?

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

What about the NOA1 extending the validity for 1 year?

Look on the back of the I9 form and see if NOA1 is an acceptable document for proof of work authorization.

It isn't.

Timeline

Look on the back of the I9 form and see if NOA1 is an acceptable document for proof of work authorization.

It isn't.

Then what good is the NOA1 to the employer? Mine said they need a copy for my I-9 when I get my NOA1 after filing in Sept.

Then what good is the NOA1 to the employer? Mine said they need a copy for my I-9 when I get my NOA1 after filing in Sept.

It isn't any good to the employer. If you are already working and your employer has already seen your green card, they aren't supposed to ask for it again after it expires. If that's what your employer did, then they broke the law.

Timeline

It isn't any good to the employer. If you are already working and your employer has already seen your green card, they aren't supposed to ask for it again after it expires. If that's what your employer did, then they broke the law.

hmmmmmm I was told they need the extension letter copy before its due to expire and they need a photo copy of the new card and update the I-9 when I get my 10yr card. So this is considered that they broke the law? They should not have asked for any updates to this?

(sorry for hijacking the thread didn't really mean to!)

hmmmmmm I was told they need the extension letter copy before its due to expire and they need a photo copy of the new card and update the I-9 when I get my 10yr card. So this is considered that they broke the law? They should not have asked for any updates to this?

(sorry for hijacking the thread didn't really mean to!)

All green cards have an expiration date on them. Even the so-called permanent 10 year cards. Just because a card has an expiry date does not mean the person is no longer legally authorized to work. This is explained to employers in the I-9 handbook, but many don't bother to read it.

If you would like confirmation of this, you can google for the Handbook and read through it.

edited to add that this is ONE reason we bring up showing employers a drivers license and unrestricted SS card INSTEAD of a green card.

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.