Brusik

Wife Signature on Tax Return??

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Her signature is needed on the tax return if you are filing a hard copy.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

Her signature is needed on the tax return if you are filing a hard copy.

She's in another country........... I know the W-7 is for a tax number but I assumed it also would allow for the signature

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

She's in another country........... I know the W-7 is for a tax number but I assumed it also would allow for the signature

They are separate forms. So each would need a signature.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

They are separate forms. So each would need a signature.

I'll call IRS tomorrow.. they never mentioned she needed to sign actual form.. We were discussing the check made in both our names and they said that wouldn't be a problem if she wasn't here to sign the check...

Edited by darkdancer333

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

How does wife sign tax return if you file jointly.. She is not in this country.. Does the W-7 form she signed replace the signature on the 1040 return

along with signatures on W7 and 1040, she will also need to sign a statement

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96370,00.html

This is what i have done:

Filled out W7 and 1040 and letter of declaration that my wife was a nonresident alien and the i am a U.S. citizen on the last day of your tax year, and that she choose to be treated as U.S. residents for the entire tax year.

I sent all 3 to her via e-mail and she signed it mailed it back to be via snail mail with original signatures on all documents.

I am almost out of TSC blackhole.

Marriage : 2010-06-27

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-07-14

Transferred to Blackhole : 2010-11-02

NOA2 : Feb 15, 2011

NVC:

2/25/11 - received case number, IIN, and gave e-mail IDs.

2/25/11 - Send DS-3032 E-mail

2/28/11 - I-864 (AOS) bill invoiced and paid

3/01/11 - AOS payment status "PAID"

3/02/11 - DS-3032 : Email accepted

3/04/11 - IV bill invoiced (e-mail at 2:30 AM) and paid

3/07/11 - IV payment status "PAID"

3/08/11 - AOS and IV packet sent

3/22/11 - AOS in the system and reviewed that triggered false RFE for IV packet

3/28/11 - DS-230 in the system and SIF

3/29/11 - Case Completed at NVC

4/13/11 - Interview date assigned

5/17/11 - Interview- Approved

5/18/11 - Passport & Visa Picked up from VFS Delhi

5/31/11 - POE (JFK)

visajourney.gif

Filed: Timeline

along with signatures on W7 and 1040, she will also need to sign a statement

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96370,00.html

This is what i have done:

Filled out W7 and 1040 and letter of declaration that my wife was a nonresident alien and the i am a U.S. citizen on the last day of your tax year, and that she choose to be treated as U.S. residents for the entire tax year.

I sent all 3 to her via e-mail and she signed it mailed it back to be via snail mail with original signatures on all documents.

where do you find the declaration document? can you post a sample if we have to write it.

what are the benefits of treating her a US resident? and what are the drawbacks of not having her treated as a US resident?

as you mentioned getting the signatures by sending the forms overseas and asking to mail them back is the option but not sure why the poster posted this as a question unless someone does not know how to send documents via email and return them via postal mail.

Edited by raj1975

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

where do you find the declaration document? can you post a sample if we have to write it.

what are the benefits of treating her a US resident? and what are the drawbacks of not having her treated as a US resident?

I wont take ant credit for this, so here is detailed explanation:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/293088-filing-taxes-as-married/

The USC was married in 2010 and should NOT file single. The status will generally be "married filing separately" if he doesn't want to file jointly. Filing jointly will be an advantage tax-wise. You will have to do a couple of extra steps this year.

•You will complete your joint tax return leaving a blank where a SSN or itin would go for your spouse. The 2010 UK income will be converted to US $$ and reported (under less common income on TurboTax). It is self reported as is the conversion rate. Form 2555 or 2555EZ will be filled out for the foreign income exclusion. They want to know worldwide income, but then you get to exclude up to $91k-ish.

You will write a statement saying you are a US citizen and he/she was a non-resident alien on the last day of 2010 and you both elect for him/her to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes. That's required for him/her to file jointly with you as he/she is not a resident yet by immigration rules. But for the IRS, the statement will allow him/her to be considered a resident as far as filing taxes goes. Otherwise a non-resident can not file a joint return. You both sign the statement and each list you name, address, and id number (SSN and A-number). Staple it to the end of your return.

•You complete a FORM W-7 ticking reason "e" and giving your name and SSN on the line beside it. You must provide identity with the w-7 and his/her passport will be enough. The IRS says this "If you submit an original valid passport (or a notarized or certified copy of a valid passport) you do not need to submit any other documents. If you do not submit a passport document, you must provide a combination of documents (at least two or more) that are current and that (1) verify your identity (that is, contain your name and a photograph), and (2) support your claim of foreign status."

•Mail you tax return (signed by both), the statement, the W-7 and identity document to

Internal Revenue Service

ITIN Operations

P.O. Box 149342

Austin, TX 78714-9342

NOTE: This a special division and not where you would normally file your return. They will process the itin in Austin and add the itin number to the tax return you sent with it. Then the tax return will be processed. It will take a little longer.

IRS link: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96370,00.html

as you mentioned getting the signatures by sending the forms overseas and asking to mail them back is the option but not sure why the poster posted this as a question unless someone does not know how to send documents via email and return them via postal mail.

Well i just wrote what i did, i am not saying OP does not know this. If W7 can be signed then it is same method you need to get 1040 signed.

Edited by hindustani24

I am almost out of TSC blackhole.

Marriage : 2010-06-27

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-07-14

Transferred to Blackhole : 2010-11-02

NOA2 : Feb 15, 2011

NVC:

2/25/11 - received case number, IIN, and gave e-mail IDs.

2/25/11 - Send DS-3032 E-mail

2/28/11 - I-864 (AOS) bill invoiced and paid

3/01/11 - AOS payment status "PAID"

3/02/11 - DS-3032 : Email accepted

3/04/11 - IV bill invoiced (e-mail at 2:30 AM) and paid

3/07/11 - IV payment status "PAID"

3/08/11 - AOS and IV packet sent

3/22/11 - AOS in the system and reviewed that triggered false RFE for IV packet

3/28/11 - DS-230 in the system and SIF

3/29/11 - Case Completed at NVC

4/13/11 - Interview date assigned

5/17/11 - Interview- Approved

5/18/11 - Passport & Visa Picked up from VFS Delhi

5/31/11 - POE (JFK)

visajourney.gif

How does wife sign tax return if you file jointly.. She is not in this country.. Does the W-7 form she signed replace the signature on the 1040 return

Mail her the page she has to sign, have her mail it back to you, and file it.

NATURALIZATION

02/25/2014 - Eligibility date.

03/03/2014 - N-400 package mailed.

03/11/2014 - Check cashed.

03/14/2014 - NOA received.

04/09/2014 - Biometrics.

04/28/2014 - In-Line for Interview - 6 hours later Interview Scheduled!!

05/02/2014 - Interview Letter received. (Mailed on 29 April)

05/26/2014 - 3 year anniversary.

06/02/2014 - Interview. PASSED!

09/11/2014 - Oath Ceremony.

09/16/2014 - Updated driver licence and registered to vote.

10/08/2014 - Updated Social Security

10/14/2014 - Applied for U.S. Passport

10/27/2014 - U.S. Passport arrived in mail (13 days - DID NOT expedite)

10/30/2014 - Naturalization Certificate arrived in mail (was not folded)

MY IMMIGRATION JOURNEY IS OFFICIALLY FINISHED!!

could do a POA for the forms, but she would still need to do the statement and send it to you....the scan and e-mail the forms that need to be signed and mail them back to you would be your best bet.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Timeline

could do a POA for the forms, but she would still need to do the statement and send it to you....the scan and e-mail the forms that need to be signed and mail them back to you would be your best bet.

I sent her link to form and I'll have her sign 4 forms.. I also typed a letter for her to sign..

I #######

she just sent W-7 last week airmail

:bonk:

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I sent her link to form and I'll have her sign 4 forms.. I also typed a letter for her to sign..

I #######

she just sent W-7 last week airmail

:bonk:

I did POA with my husband when he was out of the country and even had my taxes prepared. It didnt work they would not accept my signature for his even though I sent a copy of the POA. It ended up delaying my refund for about 6 months. So I dont recommend doing that....

Edited by Peter'n'Jaime

create_maleScene.jpg

USCIS *CR-1 Visa*

2008-07-26 : I-130 Sent

2009-04-02 : Interview at Embassy in Lima, Peru Approved

2009-04-08 : POE Atlanta (256 days from sending I-130)

USCIS *Removal of Conditions*

2011-02-28 : Mailed I-751

2011-03-02 : USPS Delivery Confirmation

2011-03-10 : Check Cashed

2011-03-11 : Touched

2011-03-25 : USCIS confirmed they did not mail NOA 1, given case number

2011-04-05 : Infopass appointment passport stamped with I-551

2011-04-19 : Walk in Biometrics completed (2 weeks early)

2011-05-03 : Biometrics appointment (3 year anniversary)

2011-08-25 : Approved

2011-08-31 : Card in hand (184 days after sending I-751)

*Application for Naturalization*

2012-03-24 : Mailed N-400

2012-03-26 : NOA1

2012-03-29 : Check Cashed

2012-05-14 : Biometrics Appointment

2012-06-04 : Interview Letter

2012-07-09 : Interview in Raleigh, NC (Passed)

2012-07-20 : Oath Ceremony (119 days after sending N-400)

[/center]

Timeline

I did POA with my husband when he was out of the country and even had my taxes prepared. It didnt work they would not accept my signature for his even though I sent a copy of the POA. It ended up delaying my refund for about 6 months. So I dont recommend doing that....

wHAT IS poa??????????

Power of Attorney I assume...

Edited by darkdancer333

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.