American@Heart

Is E2 the right visa for me?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone, I'm a Canadian citizen planning to make a permanent move to the US. I'm a career entrepreneur, so I don't have any degrees because I've been working for myself since my teens, and for that reason I also don't wish to work for anyone in the US. I also don't want to marry anyone, so my understanding is that my only option is to come up with $100k to start up a business in the US and get an E2. Is this information accurate, or are there any other options available to me? Thanks! :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hi everyone, I'm a Canadian citizen planning to make a permanent move to the US. I'm a career entrepreneur, so I don't have any degrees because I've been working for myself since my teens, and for that reason I also don't wish to work for anyone in the US. I also don't want to marry anyone, so my understanding is that my only option is to come up with $100k to start up a business in the US and get an E2. Is this information accurate, or are there any other options available to me? Thanks! :)

helpful links for you :

http://www.canadaimmigrationvisa.com/eb5.html

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=facb83453d4a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=facb83453d4a3210VgnVCM100000b92ca60aRCRD

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

100k is very low for an E2.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

100k is very low for an E2.

#######, you don't think I'll get approved with 100? Honestly it's more than I need because it's for a car rental business based primarily online (no showroom at first), so well start generating profit very quickly even if were not that busy at first, because overhead will be super low, and when it goes up that will equal a lot more business, so it should be very smooth sailing all the way through. Or am I not understanding the way E2 works?

#######, you don't think I'll get approved with 100? Honestly it's more than I need because it's for a car rental business based primarily online (no showroom at first), so well start generating profit very quickly even if were not that busy at first, because overhead will be super low, and when it goes up that will equal a lot more business, so it should be very smooth sailing all the way through. Or am I not understanding the way E2 works?

For a E2 visa you will need to show a good business plan, not just a dream, it doesn't look as if you have even started that process yet.

Timeline

On line business is not an obvious fit for an E2.

But then do you need to be in the US at all?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

for EB2 - you need 500K - 1 m invetment + you need to add jobs to american economy - you plan does not seem to add jobs to the economy.

Your business would be monitored by USCIS for atleat a year.

100k and dreams are not good enough - I am talking reality if it was that low there would be a huge line of ppl to invest 100k and get a perm resid status.

Timeline

Sounds like an EB5 not an E2, EB2 is something else.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Thanks for all your input so far guys. :) One thing I dont't understand though is why a few of you keep saying that I have "$100k and dreams." I have a solid business plan that I know beyond any doubt will make excellent money, I have more than enough money to start it, I have good passive income coming in from other businesses, and people from my team in Canada who will come with me to the US to start the new business with me. I've been planning this for almost 2 years. This thread was just the final check to make sure there's no better visa for me than the E2, and now I know that it's the way to go. I have a few more questions as well:

- one of my companies fell apart during the global crisis: unfortunately my partner walked off and left the whole mess to me. Luckily I have several others, but it left me with a few scars so to speak: 1) my credit used to be perfect (around 800 FICO) and is now only 500 as a result of several small claims court judgements, and 2) one of these small claims suits was never served to me (I have RE/MAX leases to prove that I moved several months prior), but unfortunately the judge got upset and found me guilty (in absentia) of Contempt of Court and issued a warrant for my arrest! I found out about this by chance 8 months later, and have now hired a lawyer to remove the warrant and explain to the judge that I never knew about any of this because I was never even served with the lawsuit. Anyway, it's small claims court stuff and the lawyer will make it go away for about 2 grand, but will this or my tarnished credit be an issue for getting an E2? I also have a conviction for driving with a suspended license (suspended because I forgot to pay a speeding ticket), but no DUIs or serious stuff.

- I'm going to visit the US next month and stay until I'm ready to apply for an E2. When entering the US, should I mention anything about that, or just say I'm visiting for pleasure? I plan to apply 3 months later, so will I have to leave the US to apply? If so, will I be able to return almost immediately (say a week or 2) after applying?

- I'm allowed to bring an assistant and a partner, correct?

- the plan is to start an exotic car rental company: the $100k will be enough to buy our first car (a 2003 Ferrari) and 6 months of overhead. Overhead is extremely low: website, phones and advertising are only a few hundred per month combined, and renters pay for gas, insurance, excessive wear and damage. No need for an office / showroom until were big, as we'll offer free VIP car drop off and pickup. Generally speaking, is there anything wrong with this plan in the eyes of US Immigration?

- when I apply for the E2, where will the $100k need to be placed? Will I need to put the money into an account in my personal name in Canada, and freeze it until I get approved? How will US immigration make sure the money is used for my new business - I won't need approval for every single transaction, will I?

- will I have to pay taxes to Revenue Canada for this?

- my website and ads are ready to go: should I put them online, start advertising and taking pre-bookings? Should I register the business in Canada even?

- what are my odds of getting approved?

- another business I started in Canada this year will need to start doing business in the US later this year - I wasn't planning on this, but there is a big demand and it makes financial sense. Would it be easier to get an E2 with this business instead?

- should I hire a lawyer for the visa and shell out $5k or whatever, or just do it myself?

Thanks guys! :)

Edited by American@Heart

Timeline

I just came across the L1A visa. Seems too good to be true: no investment minimum and (!!) eligible for priority (?) permanent residency after 1 year? What's the catch? If none, then should I just expand my other company to the US. Because wow, permanent residency... I never thought I'd get this!

Timeline

L1A looks good, especially because you can get a green card, but it requires the expanding company to be a year old, and the company I want to expand isn't a year old yet. Can I expand one of my older companies and get an L1A that way first, but not actually do anything with it in the US, and next year expand the company that I actually want to expand and switch my L1A to the new company?

Edited by American@Heart

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Dude... just the Business plan is not good enough, there are some requirement that are setup by USCIS does not matter how good your plan is.

1. I can write a billion dollar business plan does not mean anything at all, it is just piece of paper until you actully fulfil the plan and make billion dollar.

2. You are looking to bring ppl from canada to work on your business E2 needs you to create job for American, not Canadian.

3. L1A is for a intra company transfer, not that your company needs to be one year old, you need to be working for that company for atleast a year.

4. you cannot just create a company in 2 countries and transfer yourself to company in US. - Do you think officer at consulate and POE are that dumb and they would not figure out.

As per your post, sorry dude you are neither eligible for E2 nor for L1A.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.