florinaRO

Being in US for a long time is an disadvantage for k1?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I 've been in US past 5 years prior applying for this K1. I was legal all the time but I switched many visas: J1, F1, H1B. I used to live with my fiance and I had my master degree and an excellent job in avery known company. Will these so many years in US work against me in this process ? Will my processing take longer because of more background checks ? Any similar stories ?

event.png

No negative effect, possibly a positive effect (you have lived with your fiance, etc).

Good luck

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

i lived in the Us for the last few years,and when you started the process i was wondering how is that gonna affect me,i see now that with USCIS we did pretty good,under 4 months and we got approved,so i don't think it has any negative effect if you were legal there

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It did not affect my K-1 at all. I had lived here for 4 years on a H-4 visa and met my fiance before I moved back to Australia.

My K-1 was processing well within the timeframe with no issues.

I personally think it helps because it helps show you have a valid relationship and that you have spent plenty of time together.

Are you currently living OUT of the U.S.? Because you'll need to leave the U.S. to receive your K-1 - you will have an interview at the consulate of your home country.

01/09/09 - Sent I-129F

Visa Approved!

23/07/10 - Arrived in the U.S.

28/08/10 - Got Married

20/10/10 - Sent AOS

04/11/10 - InfoPass Appointment to request an Expedited AP

05/11/10 - Expedited AP Approved! RFE requested for AOS

01/02/11 - RFE sent

01/01/11 - RFE Received

01/12/11 - Biometrics taken

01/28/11 - EAD Approved

02/02/11 - AOS moved to CSC

03/07/11 - Greencard Approved!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

It did not affect my K-1 at all. I had lived here for 4 years on a H-4 visa and met my fiance before I moved back to Australia.

My K-1 was processing well within the timeframe with no issues.

I personally think it helps because it helps show you have a valid relationship and that you have spent plenty of time together.

Are you currently living OUT of the U.S.? Because you'll need to leave the U.S. to receive your K-1 - you will have an interview at the consulate of your home country.

Yes , I am in home home country at the moment (I stupidly came home with H1B ). I left US 8 months ago and I got stuck here, we are very disappointed (me and my fiance) ... never been apart so long ...

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I know what you're going thru,i'm stuck here too,sometimes i feel that i'm going crazy!!!!

But don't loose hope,you will get approved,it's just this waiting game that it's not fair,my opinion as a wife/fiancee to a Usc things should move faster,not made you wait up to on year,it't ridiculous

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

:star: I am sure you ll be fine :star: Myself left states after a year not changing status only because was thinking that the process will take no more than 6 months.

So I think and ,as other people said, it shows that you had time to be/live together, plus the fact that you left with no overstaying and obeyed laws during your stay.

:blush: So wouldnt worry much about this. we have enough stress already, heh, waiting through...

Best of luck :thumbs:

Edited by Milushka

event.png

09/13/10 - i129f sent to Texas

09/15/10 - received and signed

09/20/10 - Touched

09/23/10 - NOA1 via mail dated 09/15

10/03/10 - Touched

03/24/11 - NOA2!!! email/text on 03/29 (after 190 days)

03/29/11 - NVC received

03/31/11 - NOA2 hardcopy in mail

04/05/11 - MOS # assigned

04/12/11 - NVC left

04/15/11 - Consulate received

06/02/11 - Medical

06/03/11 - Interview (after 261 days) Approved !

06/09/11 - Visa in hand

06/10/11 - POE @ JFK

08/19/11 - Married <3 <3 <3

09/01/11 - AOS sent

09/06/11 - NOA1 for AOS packet

10/03/11 - Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.