Jess&Rich

Questions about K-1 visa

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hello everyone! I have a few questions that I would like to ask.

First of all, my fiance's interview is March 21st in London. For the I-134, do I need to give him an actual bank statement or a letter from my bank? Also, do I need to send him the originals of anything for the affidavit of support?

Also, we are hoping to get approved on March 21st and then get married in late June/ early July. I am going to fly to London in early May to visit and then fly back with him to America from London. Would it be okay for us to travel to Spain or some other country within the EU before coming to America (even with the k-1 visa in his passport)? I know that it is only to be used when he enters America, but I was wondering if we would have any problems..

When he arrives in the America, how long will it take to receive a SSN? I saw on one of the DS forms that he can opt to have the SSN sent to him via mail within three weeks of arriving without having to stand in line at an office.

Thank you everyone for your help! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

First of all, my fiance's interview is March 21st in London. For the I-134, do I need to give him an actual bank statement or a letter from my bank? Also, do I need to send him the originals of anything for the affidavit of support?

Also, we are hoping to get approved on March 21st and then get married in late June/ early July. I am going to fly to London in early May to visit and then fly back with him to America from London. Would it be okay for us to travel to Spain or some other country within the EU before coming to America (even with the k-1 visa in his passport)? I know that it is only to be used when he enters America, but I was wondering if we would have any problems..

When he arrives in the America, how long will it take to receive a SSN? I saw on one of the DS forms that he can opt to have the SSN sent to him via mail within three weeks of arriving without having to stand in line at an office.

For the I-134 you need a London specific answer

Correct, the alien needs the visa to enter the USA... it does NOT restrict your travel to any other international destination... I have several visas in my passport... the countries that issued the visas don't care that I traveled someplace else between visits

DS-230 option does not work for a K-1 entrant... you must go to the SSA between day 1 and day 75 of arrival to apply

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

For the I-134 you need a London specific answer

Correct, the alien needs the visa to enter the USA... it does NOT restrict your travel to any other international destination... I have several visas in my passport... the countries that issued the visas don't care that I traveled someplace else between visits

DS-230 option does not work for a K-1 entrant... you must go to the SSA between day 1 and day 75 of arrival to apply

"between day 15". before that time it's not advisable because the name will not be in the system yet and they will not be able to issue the SSN.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Bank statements only needed if income falls below the 125% poverty mark. Bank statements are used as an asset. If Income is sufficient then the statements are not needed.

Consulates tend to use same financial evidence as will later be used when adjusting status.

I-864income.jpg

Is Ok to travel through any country prior to coming to the USA on the K-1, having the visa in passport does not restrict travel outside the USA prior to using it to enter the USA.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

i just had my interview at london embassy a couple of weeks ago. they ask for two forms of supporting evidence for the i-134 - since my fiancee didn't declare any savings we just supplied evidence of her earnings: she gave me a complete 2010 tax return with w1's etc and a letter from her employer stating her position, start date and salary. (i also took a few pay stubs just in case.) i believe if you intend to provide support through savings and complete the i-134 on that basis you will likewise need two forms of evidence so bank statements and a notarised letter from your bank would do the job in that instance.

Original I-134 with signature, not an emailed copy. If you have an employer letter, it should be original but take a photocopy so they will give the original back. Then you can use it for AOS without bothering the boss again. If doing a tax return plus W2 (instead of a transcript) I would suggest you sign the return and date (date you filed it), even though it may be just a copy you print out from TurboTax. Pay slips: Photocopies. Bank letter: original.

London only needs one tax return and will hand back others before the interviewer even sees them. Also two forms of income proof are plenty for London, so you don't have to do all of them.

If you're a K1, you only do DS-230 Part 1. That's page 1-2 only. Spouse CR1 visas and some work visas do page 3-4. That's where you saw the SSN option (in Part 2), but it's not a K1 form or option. We went to the Social Security office to apply after about 10-11 days in the US and the card came in less than 2 weeks.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Timeline

hi everyone, im a filipina.. i already paid at BPI for the apointment interview for k1 visa, but my problem is i cant have myself scheduled for the month of march, i already have an application (where i have my password and UID so i can check or login anytime i want in the ustraveldocs.com) but when im about to choose an interview date through online it always says "no more seats available, what will i do? will i wait til they post schedule dates for march? help please,

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

"between day 15". before that time it's not advisable because the name will not be in the system yet and they will not be able to issue the SSN.

You may feel it is not advisable but the alien is certainly eligible to go beginning day 1

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.