웃

Are you sick of highly paid teachers? It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit!

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

it's not so much teacher wages i have an issue with, it's the administrative bunch that goes with it. someone had posted a graph in the past about how there's more people working in the schools than before. like how much support staff do they need?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

it's not so much teacher wages i have an issue with, it's the administrative bunch that goes with it. someone had posted a graph in the past about how there's more people working in the schools than before. like how much support staff do they need?

Support staff being one thing. But seriously, is a school board president that makes close to an even million worth the salary?

Same goes for anyone making an obsene amount of money they will never spend.

Timeline

Support staff being one thing. But seriously, is a school board president that makes close to an even million worth the salary?

Same goes for anyone making an obsene amount of money they will never spend.

around here, the average household income is about mid 40's. if you're the administrator of a school, you're about 3 times that. now what on earth could an administrator be doing that's so freaking important to be earning that much?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

around here, the average household income is about mid 40's. if you're the administrator of a school, you're about 3 times that. now what on earth could an administrator be doing that's so freaking important to be earning that much?

Admin as in a school principal? 120K where? Pretty snappy. I want in! When I taught the principal made a little less than 2X what we made, and it wasn't much. And us instructional staff were unionized. Granted, in my opinion school admin have jobs that are more important than, say, a baseball, basketball, or football player in a professional league, and the comparison is definitely logical... but still. Crazy.

The principal at my school makes around $85,000. The superintendent of schools (overseeing about 350 total teachers + other staff) makes $149,000, with other benefits. I make $51,343. Feel free to mock my puny salary. :lol:

Timeline

Admin as in a school principal? 120K where? Pretty snappy. I want in! When I taught the principal made a little less than 2X what we made, and it wasn't much. And us instructional staff were unionized. Granted, in my opinion school admin have jobs that are more important than, say, a baseball, basketball, or football player in a professional league, and the comparison is definitely logical... but still. Crazy.

above school principle. pretty hefty pay for around here.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The principal at my school makes around $85,000. The superintendent of schools (overseeing about 350 total teachers + other staff) makes $149,000, with other benefits. I make $51,343. Feel free to mock my puny salary. :lol:

FREELOADER!

Timeline

BJ, in all seriousness - how long have you been a teacher? Do you live in a right-to-work state? Do you think your teacher's union has negotiated for fair wages and benefits?

BJ, in all seriousness - how long have you been a teacher? Do you live in a right-to-work state? Do you think your teacher's union has negotiated for fair wages and benefits?

I've got 17 years experience. The actual state minimum for that level of experience is 42,510, but my district, like most, pays above the state minimum. Texas is a right to work state, so of course that puts us in a different position than other teacher groups. We don't negotiate contracts. The school board sets the contract and that's it. We can't strike or anything like that. Honestly, even if we could strike, I'm not sure I could do it. I still kind of feel like what I do matters too much for me to walk out on my kids. Or maybe it's just I've always been in this state and I've never experienced anything different.

In case you want more info. In my district, the salaries start at 42,184 and max out at 58,647. The max is at 27 years and after that you don't get any more increases. The district pays $200 per month for our insurance. As a single guy, that means I only need to contribute $121 for my insurance. However, once I'm married, that will jump up to about $500 a month. If I have kids then I'll end up paying about $800 per month.

Here's the retirement formula. Multiply my years of service by 2.3%. Take that number and multiply it by the average of my five highest salaries. So, for me, if I retire when I'm 60, I'll have 34 years of service and my average salary will be the 58647. So, I'll retire with an annual income of a little over 45K. I can live pretty well in the Philippines on that... so I'm happy. :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Unions aren't as useful as you think they are.

I know this idea that people can live a good life (even better many times) without unions is a hard concept to grasp outside of the Yankee states, but it works quite well.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

I've got 17 years experience. The actual state minimum for that level of experience is 42,510, but my district, like most, pays above the state minimum. Texas is a right to work state, so of course that puts us in a different position than other teacher groups. We don't negotiate contracts. The school board sets the contract and that's it. We can't strike or anything like that. Honestly, even if we could strike, I'm not sure I could do it. I still kind of feel like what I do matters too much for me to walk out on my kids. Or maybe it's just I've always been in this state and I've never experienced anything different.

In case you want more info. In my district, the salaries start at 42,184 and max out at 58,647. The max is at 27 years and after that you don't get any more increases. The district pays $200 per month for our insurance. As a single guy, that means I only need to contribute $121 for my insurance. However, once I'm married, that will jump up to about $500 a month. If I have kids then I'll end up paying about $800 per month.

Here's the retirement formula. Multiply my years of service by 2.3%. Take that number and multiply it by the average of my five highest salaries. So, for me, if I retire when I'm 60, I'll have 34 years of service and my average salary will be the 58647. So, I'll retire with an annual income of a little over 45K. I can live pretty well in the Philippines on that... so I'm happy. :thumbs:

Thanks for sharing that, BJ. :thumbs: I've belonged to several unions over the years (UFCW, Teamsters, Cartoonists Union). Even though you are in a right-to-work state and there's no negotiating, those salary levels are influenced by other states with unions, to attract and keep quality teachers. It's the same rationale behind states trying to be business friendly.

You are fortunate enough (myself as well when I was under a union) to never have to strike, but sometimes it is necessary when negotiations break down and there's an impasse. Your monthly premiums should you have children are extremely high and it's unfortunate that the state won't pay more. Imagine if that doubled....what would you and other teachers do?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for sharing that, BJ. :thumbs: I've belonged to several unions over the years (UFCW, Teamsters, Cartoonists Union). Even though you are in a right-to-work state and there's no negotiating, those salary levels are influenced by other states with unions, to attract and keep quality teachers. It's the same rationale behind states trying to be business friendly.

You are fortunate enough (myself as well when I was under a union) to never have to strike, but sometimes it is necessary when negotiations break down and there's an impasse. Your monthly premiums should you have children are extremely high and it's unfortunate that the state won't pay more. Imagine if that doubled....what would you and other teachers do?

You mean it's unfortunate that the state won't STEAL from average citizens who pay the same or more so that Public workers can have a better life? Get damn real Steven.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

Unions aren't as useful as you think they are.

I know this idea that people can live a good life (even better many times) without unions is a hard concept to grasp outside of the Yankee states, but it works quite well.

The concept of collective bargaining is the one of the only useful ways that many workers have any real negotiating power. Libertarian pie-in-the-sky thinking believes that workers can simply shop around for a better deal from another employer, but in real life, that is rarely the case for many working Americans. Unions built this country and were an integral part of creating a Middle Class. Without true negotiating power, the Middle Class would not exist.

You mean it's unfortunate that the state won't STEAL from average citizens who pay the same or more so that Public workers can have a better life? Get damn real Steven.

Go move to another country if you think you are being taxed against your will. Come on. Put up or shut up. All talk and no action.