icaruslol

A few question before filing the forms

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hi;

I've been in the states as an F1 student for 4 years now. I just got married to my wife in December and we would like to apply for the Green Card as soon as possible. We wanted to go with a lawyer first, but the lawyer fees are so high so we decided to file ourselves. However, before filing I have a couple questions that might really help me on the way and if you can help I would really appreciate it.

1- Last year I have got a 3 month OPT from my school which allowed me to work part-time for 3 months and I was provided with a SS number. However, for financial reasons, I've been working for over a year now using the same social security number. But I've paid all my taxes and I've filed for my return a couple weeks ago(check in the mail) so I haven't screwed the IRS or anything. How would that affect my Green Card application? Should I provide my social security number when applying?

2- Where do I find my Alien Registration Number? I've read that it's supposed to be under the DOB in my I-20 as "Admission Number" however, that area is blank on my I-20. Do I really have this number?

3- I've stopped going to school as of last semester which ended just before Christmas. The Spring semester started about a month ago so I guess this puts me Out of Status right now. Do I have to worry about FBI showing up on my door? :S

4- My wife changer her last name just last week but she still hasn't received her new SS card with her new last name.When we fill the forms, are we going to put her new last name?

Thanks in advance for your help!

N-400 Progress

10/18/14 Sent the N-400 Application visa USPS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

1. yes, provide the social security number and be honest when it asks for your work history. Trust me, they already know. Lying about it will make it so much worse

2. I assume you have an actual F-1 visa in your passport...what does that number say?

3. You are out of status and while it has happened that ICE (FBI doesn't care about you) will show up on doorsteps, they need to be really motivated to do so.

4. Put her last name as yours, has she changed her licence? passport?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline

I'll have to check my visa when I get home. So the number should be there, right?

My wife still hasn't received her new SS card with her new last name. She will need to have that in order to get a new ID and all.

N-400 Progress

Hiya,

here's my thoughts from a former F-1 student myself....

1- Last year I have got a 3 month OPT from my school which allowed me to work part-time for 3 months and I was provided with a SS number. However, for financial reasons, I've been working for over a year now using the same social security number. But I've paid all my taxes and I've filed for my return a couple weeks ago(check in the mail) so I haven't screwed the IRS or anything. How would that affect my Green Card application? Should I provide my social security number when applying?

>>> list all work you have done with the SSN you have, since you got married to a US citizen and the SSN you used was obtained "fair and square", you never lied to anyone about your status in order get employed you will get any work forgiven. I myself have worked for 2 years prior to AOS (long story, hardship) and the only reference re: working at the interview was when the IO asked if I am currently working at the time of the interview.

2- Where do I find my Alien Registration Number? I've read that it's supposed to be under the DOB in my I-20 as "Admission Number" however, that area is blank on my I-20. Do I really have this number?

>>> you don't have one yet, A# are Alien registration numbers, but as a student you are considered a temporary "Visitor" in the US with the intention to do your studies, do your job (Work visas) or do your pleasure trip and leave again. Once you file the AOS package they will sent you a notice of action NOA1 that acknowledges your paperwork and that is considered to be worked on by USCIS - at that point you will lose the F-1 student status and become an applicant/beneficiary for immigration in the US, you seek permanent residency - aka becoming a legal Alien (Alien, since you are not a citizen) - and this notice will also then include your A# that will be with you until you either file for citizenship or decide to give up your LPR status.

3- I've stopped going to school as of last semester which ended just before Christmas. The Spring semester started about a month ago so I guess this puts me Out of Status right now. Do I have to worry about FBI showing up on my door? :S

>>> No, you don't really have to worry about anyone putting you in a jail cell unless you commit a crime, do something silly that gets the authorities to arrest you and maybe even conduct a background check about you. I unfortunately had to go through some tuff times, was out of status for bit more then 5 years and still had no problem getting AOS approved.

4- My wife changer her last name just last week but she still hasn't received her new SS card with her new last name.When we fill the forms, are we going to put her new last name?

>>>> hmmm are there any new IDS like passport, driver's license in that name yet? I am only asking as you may have some problems using an ID with the maiden name and having USCIS notice like biometrics or interview appointment with her married name. Needs to show them some more stuff like marriage license etc. to make sure that USCIS Will work on the papers correctly.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Good luck on your AOS journey - feel free to post all your questions here and we'll share our thoughts, knowledge and experiences :)

Maxximus

10/13/2010 - Mailed in The Package (AOS, I-765, I-130)

10/17/2010 - USPS confirms delivery to USCIS

10/25/2010 - Check cashed

10/26/2010 - All applications been worked on aka touched

10/28/2010 - NOA1 Receipts for applications received

11/24/2010 - Received appointment for biometrics in the mail for 12/17 *yay*

12/17/2010 - 9.25 a.m. - 9.45 a.m. Biometrics done !!

12/23/2010 - EAD Approved and Card on its way - Email notification received *yay*

01/03/2011 - WOOOHOOO ...EAD Card in Hand!

01/04/2011 - Oh boy....Received Interview Letter today - February 3rd is the day! :)

02/03/2011 - Interview scheduled 12:45 p.m. - out of there before 1:30 p.m. - further review

Coming home, checking for touches at 5:30 p.m. - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED !!!!

Thank you All on Visajourney for your inputs, experiences and thoughts!!!

02/09/2011 - Yup another e-mail saying that my card production was ordered.

02/10/2011 - E-mail notification "Approval letter was sent today"

02/14/2011 - Welcome Letter / Approval NOA and Card (separate envelope) received!!! :D

Late November 2012 (have to look up my receipts ;) - mailed in ROC I-751

12/12/2012 - NOA 1, status extension received

12/18/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter received

01/08/2013 - Biometrics done

Timeline

Thank you very much for the response Maxximus!!!

My wife changed her name a month after the marriage[wasn't sure if she wanted to keep her name or not at the time] but I think she has the documents that show that she changed her name already which she got from the SS office. She needs her new SS card in order to get a new ID and everything.

So basically, all I have to send is 2 packages thatis listed here:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

one i-130 package and one I-485 package, is that correct?

Do I send these seperately or can I just put them in the same envelope and send it to the lockbox?

N-400 Progress

Timeline

Another question. Since I'm not going to school this semester, would I have to fill out a Supplement A form and pay a $1000 fee? I mean, my visa is still valid and it doesn't expire until December, but I'm not going to school.

Also I've been working more than the amount of I was supposed to work with my SS number.

Are these any reasons to fill out Supplement A and pay the fine?

N-400 Progress

Supplement A does not apply to you at all, so just ignore it (it says somewhere on page 3 NA for spouses of US Citizens, but it takes a lot of reading to get there).

Be honest about the illegal work; they won't deny you for it (unless you claimed you were a USC or something/stole someone's SSN), but lying could bring a denial. Still no Supplement A :)

You MUST send them in the same package. member USUY2010 made the mistake of mailing two separate packages, and while it worked out in the end, it was a real headache for them to get them two packets matched up after the I-485 was rejected at the mailroom, and the I-130 accepted.

Regarding your wife's name change, you can fill out the forms in her new name and just include proof of name change (USCIS accepts marriage cert as proof of name change). It's okay if her passport is still in maiden name.

Good luck!

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Awesome! Thank you very much for your help!! If i'll have more problems or questions I'll post here. But so far, everything seems crystal

N-400 Progress

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.