웃

Is "New York Chinese Food" any different than other Chinese food in the US?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I don't know about NY Chinese food specifically, but everything tastes better in NY. I think it's the water.

Take pizza, for example; you can take a NY pizza guy and put him in FL, but the pizza's not as good. And the breads there are way different: I remember as a little girl any family member going back to NY would bring an empty case to fill with different breads, bagels, etc. We'd freeze them.

I don't know about NY Chinese food specifically, but everything tastes better in NY. I think it's the water.

Take pizza, for example; you can take a NY pizza guy and put him in FL, but the pizza's not as good. And the breads there are way different: I remember as a little girl any family member going back to NY would bring an empty case to fill with different breads, bagels, etc. We'd freeze them.

I think it has to do with the water too. I have a friend who knows someone who owns a bagel shop and actually brings in water from NY to make the bagels.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Chinese food in Italy is very different than Chinese food in the U.S. I couldn't say whether it's more or less authentic, but I definitely think it is better. They do a much better job with the noodle dishes. Go figure.

Is he talking about eating in Chinatown, or just any place in NYC? I've been told that the food in Chinatown, Boston is authentic, and I think it's good. I can't see why it would be very different from food from Chinatown, NY. But yes, it is very different from the Americanized Chinese food you get elsewhere.

Americanized Chinese food stinks.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Americanized Chinese food stinks.

You know if you peek in the kitchens most of the workers are Mexicans....From my observations.

And I can bet you they get paid bare minimum wage and majority are illegal, just sayin'...

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

You'll probably get good Chinese food anywhere there are first/second generation Chinese immigrants.

Not really the case here... the owner is Chinese but the cooks are all Mexican (or Hispanic at least). The food's not that bad though, actually, but wouldn't say very good like when I was in Chinatown in Canada.

You know if you peek in the kitchens most of the workers are Mexicans....From my observations.

And I can bet you they get paid bare minimum wage and majority are illegal, just sayin'...

Ha! didnt see this before I posted

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

sometimes more "authentic" is not always better for me......not a fan of chicken feet, sheeps lung, the head of the chicken on the plate, etc.

yeah, that's how I feel about the blood jello

Jo Koy is one of my fave comedians. He does a bit specifically on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw_3O4f5smo

*warning - racial stereotype humor. Do not click if you are overly sensitive to this sort of humor*

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Not in most of the Chinese places I have been. My experience is that Chinese places are owned and operated by first generation Chinese. And that's not just in big cities.

Beyond that, if they're illegal, I doubt they are making minimum wage. I thought that was the point of hiring illegals; you can pay them less than minimum wage.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Not in most of the Chinese places I have been. My experience is that Chinese places are owned and operated by first generation Chinese. And that's not just in big cities.

My experience is that the Chinese places are owned and operated by first generation Chinese....The cashiers, the guy that makes the sushi, the waiters, the waitress, the owner(s), the people that refill the buffet food when it gets low: they are all Chinese.

But if you look through the door to the kitchen you will see nothing but Mexicans.....It's a very complex network. They know how to find kitchen jobs...When there is a vacancy they tell their friends and it gets filled. Plus they are pretty good workers (I've known a couple illegals that worked 2 minimum wage 40 hour per week jobs)...

Matter of fact, the majority of the illegals that work where my wife works have 2 jobs.

Beyond that, if they're illegal, I doubt they are making minimum wage. I thought that was the point of hiring illegals; you can pay them less than minimum wage.

They make minimum wage in the restaurants...You seem to think it is some guy that knows what he is doing is very illegal, but he hires them to pay them $5 an hour (or less). And when it comes to paying them their money he goes to his secret stash and pays them cash.

That is not how it works. The restaurants they work at are very famous well known and listed on major stock exchanges. The workers have IDs and SS cards. They get paid by check like everyone else.

You'd think it would be hard to find a job when you only speak Spanish but take a look at the kitchen staff of many restaurants. They are there. And they aren't being paid in cash by the restaurant manager each week. The manager works for the chain. He isn't the owner of the company. What does it matter to him if the employees make $8, $10, or $12 per hour?

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

My experience is that the Chinese places are owned and operated by first generation Chinese....The cashiers, the guy that makes the sushi, the waiters, the waitress, the owner(s), the people that refill the buffet food when it gets low: they are all Chinese.

But if you look through the door to the kitchen you will see nothing but Mexicans.....It's a very complex network. They know how to find kitchen jobs...When there is a vacancy they tell their friends and it gets filled. Plus they are pretty good workers (I've known a couple illegals that worked 2 minimum wage 40 hour per week jobs)...

Matter of fact, the majority of the illegals that work where my wife works have 2 jobs.

They make minimum wage in the restaurants...You seem to think it is some guy that knows what he is doing is very illegal, but he hires them to pay them $5 an hour (or less). And when it comes to paying them their money he goes to his secret stash and pays them cash.

That is not how it works. The restaurants they work at are very famous well known and listed on major stock exchanges. The workers have IDs and SS cards. They get paid by check like everyone else.

You'd think it would be hard to find a job when you only speak Spanish but take a look at the kitchen staff of many restaurants. They are there. And they aren't being paid in cash by the restaurant manager each week. The manager works for the chain. He isn't the owner of the company. What does it matter to him if the employees make $8, $10, or $12 per hour?

exactamundo!

The bald fact is that the entire restaurant industry in America would close down overnight, would never recover, if current immigration laws were enforced quickly and thoroughly across the board. Everyone in the industry knows this. It is undeniable. Illegal labor is the backbone of the service and hospitality industry--Mexican, Salvadoran and Ecuadoran in particular.---anthony bourdain

Edited by sandinista!

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Being a person who has spent extensive time in Beijing and Chongqing and resides near New York City, no Chinese food I have found in the states taste anything close to authentic.

Chongqing food in the states would cause lawsuits because it is so hot and spicy. Authentic hand made Beijing noodles are non existent in the USA, etc.

And though I have searched everywhere, there is nothing in the States that even comes close to Chongqing Hotpot. The thing I find most odd about US Chinese food is everything is served with rice. In Chongqing you have to ask for rice with your meal as it is not normally served.

Edited by Azzudiin

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

if you want real chinese food, go to a place that has only chinese menus.

otherwise, if any 'english menu' - it's not real chinese food -

it's mostly 'americanized' to the caucasian's palette, and tastes like @ss.

If you are in doubt, go to the kitchen, ask the cook which region he is from, then count the number of 'latino' workers in the kitchen.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !