rob11715

Confused (or tired)

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

I am a bit confused about what my wife must bring to her interview. We submitted all original or certified copies of the required civil documents to the NVC. At one point I had called the NVC and they told me they would be forwarded to the Embassy. In the email my wife and I received from the NVC that gave us the interview date for her it states: "Any original documents that were requested by the NVC but were not submitted to the NVC must be brought to the visa interview."

In these forums and embassy reviews I read about people having to bring original documents to the interview. Do some people not have to submit originals to the NVC? I thought it was required.

As far as I can tell, all my wife should need to bring to her interview is her passport and "proof of relationship" items.

Is this correct?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mongolia
Timeline

it simply means that if you submitted the certified copy of an original civil document to the NVC, you should bring the actual original document to the interview along with all you relationship evidence and so forth.

th_Untitled-3.jpg?t=1294114030

03/2008--Met while working together in Mongolia
06/21/10--Married in Ulaanbaatar on the Summer solstice
USCIS
09/06/10--I-130 package mailed to USCIS Chicago Lockbox
12/14/10--NOA2 hardcopy rec'd, Dec 09 notice date<APPROVED>86 Days
NVC
12/22/10-NVC / IIN Number issued, AOS bill paid
12/26/10-DS-3032 emailed
January4............IV bill paid, discovered error by preparer
USCIS ROUND 2
01/04/11-- I-130 package for stepson sent express with expedite plea
01/11/11---Congressional expedite plea lodged with USCIS
01/20/11--- Notice date, APPROVED 14 days
NVC ROUND 2
01/26/11--- NVC/IIN Numbers issued, DS-3032 Emailed
02/07/11--- AOS/IV packages fedexed to NVC
02/24/11--- Both Cases Completed at NVC
CONSULAR
04/27/11--- Interview passed
05/29/11--- POE ORD
08/2011--- I-551s arrive

heart.gif NEW YEAR'S EVE 2011, WE WELCOME OUR BABY GIRL TO THE FAMILYheart.gif

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

04/18/13--- I-751 mailed

09/25/13---ROC approval

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

it simply means that if you submitted the certified copy of an original civil document to the NVC, you should bring the actual original document to the interview along with all you relationship evidence and so forth.

My wife has original and she is sending me another set of originals.. Her set should be good for interview??

Timeline

Are they real originals..........................meaning duplicates issued by the original civil agency.............

For example an original birth certificate was issued by a government office that registers births. there is only one original unless the government office will give a duplicate. A certified copy is a photocopy of the original that is certified by an official usually with a stamp or seal and signature.

You have to send to the NVC original documents or certifed copies of documents. For any certified copy you sent to NVC, you must take the original to the interview.

USCIS
NVC
12/26/10-DS-3032 emailed
USCIS ROUND 2
NVC ROUND 2
CONSULAR
05/29/11--- POE ORD
08/2011--- I-551s arrive

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

04/18/13--- I-751 mailed

09/25/13---ROC approval

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

and if you dont have the original, you are screwed or what? Some countries dont even give out original birth certificates, EVER... all you can get are the certified copies.

7/2/10- NOA1

2/9/11- NOA2 (transferred to Texas)

NVC

2/28/11- case number received

3/2/11- Paid AOS bill

3/5/11- Paid IV bill

3/12/11- expedite to Bogota consulate approved!!!

3/14/11- left NVC to Bogota for further processing

3/17/11- received by Bogota, emailed consulate and was told to send DS-230 and DS-2100 (packet 3)

3/18/11- packet 3 emailed to Bogota consulate, email confirmation on March 23

3/31/11- Interview date! Approved!!!!!!

Keep the faith, everything works out for the very best

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Moldova
Timeline

Are they real originals..........................meaning duplicates issued by the original civil agency.............

For example an original birth certificate was issued by a government office that registers births. there is only one original unless the government office will give a duplicate. A certified copy is a photocopy of the original that is certified by an official usually with a stamp or seal and signature.

You have to send to the NVC original documents or certifed copies of documents. For any certified copy you sent to NVC, you must take the original to the interview.

OK, the copies we sent were issued by the government (not a photocopy), but they have "duplicate" stamped on them. So guess this counts as an original? Well in any case, I think I'll have my wife bring everything she has (she did get this type of copy of most the documents). I still have our original marriage certificate that has an expired apostille attached to it. She was worried about sending this even though they don't need the apostille. Guess I'll send it to her just in case.

Thanks for your replies!

Edited by rob11715

Timeline

and if you dont have the original, you are screwed or what? Some countries dont even give out original birth certificates, EVER... all you can get are the certified copies.

The consulate in the country where the interview will take place should be familiar with the peculiarities of document availability.

OK, the copies we sent were issued by the government (not a photocopy), but they have "duplicate" stamped on them. So guess this counts as an original? Well in any case, I think I'll have my wife bring everything she has (she did get this type of copy of most the documents). I still have our original marriage certificate that has an expired apostille attached to it. She was worried about sending this even though they don't need the apostille. Guess I'll send it to her just in case.

Thanks for your replies!

sounds like a good plan! A document issued by the original authority and marked as a duplicate should be as good as an original as it is not merely a copy of the original, but a duplicate of (identical to) the original.

Edited by misterbigtoe

USCIS
NVC
12/26/10-DS-3032 emailed
USCIS ROUND 2
NVC ROUND 2
CONSULAR
05/29/11--- POE ORD
08/2011--- I-551s arrive

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

04/18/13--- I-751 mailed

09/25/13---ROC approval

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The consulate in the country where the interview will take place should be familiar with the peculiarities of document availability.

sounds like a good plan! A document issued by the original authority and marked as a duplicate should be as good as an original as it is not merely a copy of the original, but a duplicate of (identical to) the original.

TO be 100% sure

Contact the US Embassy and ask them directly what

they require, and what you have to show them an ask

if these are acceptable for their use is the safe way

Contact the Visa department of he us Embassy your dealing with

you can contact an also fine online at the Embassy your delaing with

or call them also.

Good Luck

Don't have a clue about other embassies, but U.S. embassy in Manila will ONLY ACCEPT NSO copies of civil documents.

NATURALIZATION

02/25/2014 - Eligibility date.

03/03/2014 - N-400 package mailed.

03/11/2014 - Check cashed.

03/14/2014 - NOA received.

04/09/2014 - Biometrics.

04/28/2014 - In-Line for Interview - 6 hours later Interview Scheduled!!

05/02/2014 - Interview Letter received. (Mailed on 29 April)

05/26/2014 - 3 year anniversary.

06/02/2014 - Interview. PASSED!

09/11/2014 - Oath Ceremony.

09/16/2014 - Updated driver licence and registered to vote.

10/08/2014 - Updated Social Security

10/14/2014 - Applied for U.S. Passport

10/27/2014 - U.S. Passport arrived in mail (13 days - DID NOT expedite)

10/30/2014 - Naturalization Certificate arrived in mail (was not folded)

MY IMMIGRATION JOURNEY IS OFFICIALLY FINISHED!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.