extrajay

Help with Sponsor question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Slovakia
Timeline

Hi,

My cousin applied for the green card via marriage (spouse) by sending the i-130 and i-485 package together.

He send all documents without using the services of an immigration lawyer.

I know they filed one of the documents for sponsorship where his wife was listed as the sponsor.

A couple of days ago he got a letter that his wife is not making enough money to be the only sponsor, mentioning something about the 125% of poverty line.

Also her child (11 years) lives with them.

My questions are:

1. How much money is this poverty line for 3 of them?

2. If he finds a sponsor - let's say myself - and I have a wife and 1 child - how much do I have to make per year to become a sponsor?

Are they gonna consider me having to provide for 6 people - my family of 3 and his family of 3, or for 4 people myself plus my cousin's family of 3?

This is not clear to me.

3. If we find another sponsor who is not married - single, and has no dependents, and he agrees to become a sponsor for my cousin,

how much money he/she will have to make to become a sponsor?

4. Is it better to file together my cousin's wife as one sponsor and myself (or whoever else we find) as JOINT sponsors,

or is it better to just find someone who makes a lot of money and just use that person as one sole sponsor?

What are your suggestions?

Please HELP!

We have about 90 days to respond.

Thanks.

Edited by extrajay

My questions are:

$22,887

2. If he finds a sponsor - let's say myself - and I have a wife and 1 child - how much do I have to make per year to become a sponsor?

$36,912

Are they gonna consider me having to provide for 6 people - my family of 3 and his family of 3, or for 4 people myself plus my cousin's family of 3?

Yes.

3. If we find another sponsor who is not married - single, and has no dependents, and he agrees to become a sponsor for my cousin,

$27,562

4. Is it better to file together my cousin's wife as one sponsor and myself (or whoever else we find) as JOINT sponsors,

or is it better to just find someone who makes a lot of money and just use that person as one sole sponsor?

The spouse has to be one of the joint sponsors.

What are your suggestions?

These are the most recent USCIS poverty guidelines for immigration.

Guidelines for sponsorship

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

1) 125% poverty line for 3 is: 22,887 for the 48 states, a bit higher in AK and HI http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

2) Need income for 4 people, your family of 3 plus the intending immigrant. $27,562, you don't count your cousin or child.

3) $18,212 Counts self and immigrant.

4) Joint sponsor is not adding income, they need sufficient income to support self, their family and the immigrant.

Note Petitioner is still Primary sponsor and provides an I-864

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
My cousin applied for the green card via marriage (spouse) by sending the i-130 and i-485 package together.

A couple of days ago he got a letter that his wife is not making enough money to be the only sponsor, mentioning something about the 125% of poverty line. Also her child (11 years) lives with them.

My questions are:

This is not clear to me.

4. Is it better to file together my cousin's wife as one sponsor and myself (or whoever else we find) as JOINT sponsors, or is it better to just find someone who makes a lot of money and just use that person as one sole sponsor?

1. See the I-864p here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

2. The sponsor must support their household size plus the immigrant/s. In your example the immigrant is 1 person, plus yourself, your wife and your child. that's household of 4.

3. As previously stated, sponsors household size plus immigrant. So the immigrant plus sponsor = 2.

4. As long as the financial requirements are met then it doesn't matter which way you do it. The joint sponsors income ALONE must meet the requirements. You cannot add the immigrants wife's income to yours. So your household size (4 people) means you need to earn $27,562. If you earn over that then you're good. If you don't then they'll need to find someone that does.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.