uphill

can we abandon K1 and file CR-1?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

We have been waiting for almost 4months for them to call us again for interview after receiving 221g for more documents. Those documents were in front of the interviewer on the interview day but she insisted my fiance goes back and come again with more phone records and pictures.

My question now is this. It is almost 4months now and we are tired of waiting. The senator has been involved we keep hearing they are still doing administrative review in lagos and we just have to wait. We do not want to wait any more. I plan going to Lagos to go get married and file for the CR-1.

Is this a good idea? I know Lagos wants to wait for the K1 to expire then send it back to USCIS and succeed in wasting our time and keeping us apart. But I am not going to give them that pleasure hence my decision to go ahead and get married and see what their outcome will be if they ever get to calling him for the interview.

Is it possible for me to call Lagos and tell them I want to cancel the KI petition?

I apologize for rambling on and on, but we are so frustrated at this point.

any suggestions???

I-129F - Jan 2010

NOA 1- Feb 2010

touched- Feb 2010

touched- Feb 2010

NOA 1 hardcopy- Feb 2010

NOA 2- April 2010

NOA 2 Hardcopy received- April 2010

NVC received- April 2010

NVC Called- April 2010 new casenumber

NVC sent to Lagos???

Packet 3 and 4 -2010

Medical-2010

1st Interview-October 2010-221g

2nd Interview- Sept 2011-denied

CR1????

Were you supposed to mail the documents in to the consulate? Or take them in person?

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You can do as you planned, but it would mean a new set of fees, and a completely new process. Chances are he will be put in AP again so it would be a very long wait.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Our case was also in AP at the Lagos embassy too. My husband's interview was December 31, 2009 and he recieved his visa

sucessfully on June 30, 2010. An AP decision is not a denial it is just a delay. It is a thorough background check that the

embassy does to some visa applicants. It is really YOUR decison at the end of the day but I am just letting you know

about our experience with the Lagos embassy. GOOD LUCK whatever you decide to do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you want to go a CR1 you will lose everything you have done, You will have to make the trip, get married, file the CR1 and wait for it to process which will be another 8-12 months waiting. It doesn't seem logical to be upset about waiting a couple of months and want to jump into a process that will make the wait at least another 9 months from today. I know you are frustrated but think about what you are planning

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You can cancel but like others said, it a whole other process. Be prepared to wait a whole year (or more), be prepared for new set of fees and expenses, your passport has to show that you traveled around the date of your marriage certificate. You have made it this far, just wait for it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My K-1 application went back to US after 7 months in AP. I know another person from this forum whose K-1 case went back to US after 7 months in AP.

Speaking of time waste: 7 months in AP, 2-3 months for the case to reach USCIS, another 3-4 months to get a letter from USCIS saying that the petition has been expired.

If I had to do it again I WOULD ABANDON K-1. I would save at least 6 months. The chances are very slim for fiance visa to be approved after many months in AP.

BUT, you need to be prepared to answer a question on I-130 form: if you ever filed a petition for anyone and what was the result of that petition.

Timeline

Were you supposed to mail the documents in to the consulate? Or take them in person?

we were not supposed to mail or walk it in. The 221g stated that they will contact us. I am not sure how long they think it takes to get photos and phone records.

I-129F - Jan 2010

NOA 1- Feb 2010

touched- Feb 2010

touched- Feb 2010

NOA 1 hardcopy- Feb 2010

NOA 2- April 2010

NVC received- April 2010

NVC sent to Lagos???

Packet 3 and 4 -2010

Medical-2010

CR1????

Timeline

My K-1 application went back to US after 7 months in AP. I know another person from this forum whose K-1 case went back to US after 7 months in AP.

Speaking of time waste: 7 months in AP, 2-3 months for the case to reach USCIS, another 3-4 months to get a letter from USCIS saying that the petition has been expired.

If I had to do it again I WOULD ABANDON K-1. I would save at least 6 months. The chances are very slim for fiance visa to be approved after many months in AP.

BUT, you need to be prepared to answer a question on I-130 form: if you ever filed a petition for anyone and what was the result of that petition.

you hit the nail on the head Kira L. All those time back and forth is what I am looking it. We are still thinking and wanting to know how the application can be revoked or cancelled - whatever the correct grammer is.

I-129F - Jan 2010

NOA 1- Feb 2010

touched- Feb 2010

touched- Feb 2010

NOA 1 hardcopy- Feb 2010

NOA 2- April 2010

NVC received- April 2010

NVC sent to Lagos???

Packet 3 and 4 -2010

Medical-2010

CR1????

Timeline

If you want to go a CR1 you will lose everything you have done, You will have to make the trip, get married, file the CR1 and wait for it to process which will be another 8-12 months waiting. It doesn't seem logical to be upset about waiting a couple of months and want to jump into a process that will make the wait at least another 9 months from today. I know you are frustrated but think about what you are planning

hum, the cost is not the problem at this point because I am loosing more money by us staying apart. We are reading and searching for how the application can be revoked by me.

I-129F - Jan 2010

NOA 1- Feb 2010

touched- Feb 2010

touched- Feb 2010

NOA 1 hardcopy- Feb 2010

NOA 2- April 2010

NVC received- April 2010

NVC sent to Lagos???

Packet 3 and 4 -2010

Medical-2010

CR1????

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

we were not supposed to mail or walk it in. The 221g stated that they will contact us. I am not sure how long they think it takes to get photos and phone records.

If i were u i would email them to let them know u have the requested additional documents and that u need a new interview date. Even though it doesnt say to email them i would if i were u. I would do that before u cancel the petition good luck!

November 5, 2010 Interview 7am APPROVED!!!!!! (6months 4weeks 1day) THANK YOU LORD!!!!!

(look at my about me page in my profile if you want to see my entire k1 journey)

AOS Journey:

Feb.4, 2011 Mailed AOS packet

Feb. 7, 2011 Pkt delivered in Chicago

Feb. 10, 2011 Received txt and email of NOA for AOS, EAD, and AP

Feb. 11, 2011 Check cashed for AOS

Feb. 12, 2011 Touched

Feb. 14, 2011 received hard copy of NOA for AOS, EAD& AP

Feb. 18, 2011 received appt letter for biometrics

Feb. 28, 2011 biometrics appt @10am

Feb. 28, 2011 received txt/email AOS case transferred to csc

Mar 1, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 3, 2011 received hard copy of AOS transfer to csc

Mar 4, 2011 AOS Touched

Mar 28, 2011 Received txt/email saying card production has been ordered. (1month 3eeks 3days)

Mar 28, 2011 Received 2nd txt/email saying we have registered this customer permanent residence status

Mar 29, 2011 Received 3rd txt/email says card production has been ordered.

April 1, 2011 greencard and welcome letter in hand!!

April 5, 2011 received txt/email EAD card production ordered

Will Start Removing Conditions Dec 2012!!!!

Dec. 26, 2012 mailed ROC paperwork

Dec. 28, 2012 NOA for ROC paperwork

Jan. 7, 2013 received bio appt letter

Jan. 24, 2013 bio appt.

June 22, 2013 10yr green card received

68z00wwuiyl.png

Timeline

If i were u i would email them to let them know u have the requested additional documents and that u need a new interview date. Even though it doesnt say to email them i would if i were u. I would do that before u cancel the petition good luck!

I agree. You must contact the embassy first to find out about the case status. Tell them that you are ready to provide requested documents. You have to push them. We waited 7 months AFTER we provided requested documents. Every week I was checking with the embassy.

Also, now it's a perfect time to hire a lawyer to push the case through. Embassies don't like to communicate with the applicants but they respond to lawyers. I wish I knew that before. While the case is at the embassy there's a chance.

Timeline

we e-mailed them twice already, and in their last mail they said

The administrative processing is not yet

complete. We apologize for the delay, please refrain from sending

emails/additional emails we will contact you as soon as the

administrative processing is complete and schedule an appointment.

Thank you for your understanding.

Correspondence Unit

US CONSULATE GENERAL

LAGOS, NIGERIA

I-129F - Jan 2010

NOA 1- Feb 2010

touched- Feb 2010

touched- Feb 2010

NOA 1 hardcopy- Feb 2010

NOA 2- April 2010

NVC received- April 2010

NVC sent to Lagos???

Packet 3 and 4 -2010

Medical-2010

CR1????

Timeline

we e-mailed them twice already, and in their last mail they said

The administrative processing is not yet

complete. We apologize for the delay, please refrain from sending

emails/additional emails we will contact you as soon as the

administrative processing is complete and schedule an appointment.

Thank you for your understanding.

Correspondence Unit

US CONSULATE GENERAL

LAGOS, NIGERIA

You can also check status at DOS call center. You can call them everyday. Ask them when was the last update on your case in the system.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.