웃

Ronald Reagan isn't worthy of praise on his birthday

31 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Letter to the Editor: Ronald Reagan isn't worthy of praise on his birthday

By: Jared Goldberg

Published February 8th, 2011

I wish sometimes that I could move to the fantasy world that conservatives like Business School Senior Alexander Franz and LSA Senior Jonathan Pape inhabit. (The real Reagan, 2/6/2011). In the conservative utopia, tax cuts pay for themselves and former President Ronald Reagan is the next best thing to Jesus. However, human beings don’t inhabit the conservative Never-Neverland. We live in reality. The Right’s obsession with Reagan has created this mythic figure that never existed. The information either glossed over or ignored by Franz and Pape is quite revealing of the conservative mindset. Reagan was the most overrated president in the history of our republic, to put it kindly, and was a prolific war criminal, to put it more accurately.

The People’s Park protests in 1969 at University of California, Berkley were not made violent, as Pape and Franz imply, by the students and other protestors. They were made violent by Reagan’s ordering of California Highway Patrol officers and the California National Guard to suppress them in an event known as “Bloody Thursday.” Hardly something to take pride in.

His massive tax cuts, which benefitted the wealthy predominantly, exploded the deficit and tripled the debt to nearly $3 trillion by the time he left office. Those beloved tax cuts may have been a boon to the wealthy, but inequality grew astronomically. Unemployment in 1981 grew to 10.8 percent.

Reagan didn’t return the United States to prominence. He helped the wealthy at the expense of the poor and working classes. While Iran-Contra was a passing footnote for Franz and Pape, I will call it for what it was: an unconstitutional power grab. Congress wouldn’t allow Reagan, through the Boland Amendment, to directly aid the Nicaraguan Contras, paramilitary groups that engaged in massive human rights abuses. So, in order to get around that whole pesky separation of powers thing, he illegally sold weapons to Iran and used the money to support groups that routinely kidnapped, tortured, executed and raped civilians.

Franz and Pape also neglected to inform their readers that their hero supported South African apartheid. He ignored AIDS until 1985, after thousands had already become infected and died. Let’s not forget that it was Reagan who armed and trained Osama Bin Laden during the Soviet Union’s disastrous 10-year invasion into Afghanistan.

I’m sorry, but in the real world, such a president isn't worthy of such praise 100 years after his birth. Reagan’s legacy will be class warfare against the poor, support of racists and mass murderers abroad and an ideology that has been consistently proven wrong.

Jared Goldberg

Alum

http://www.michigandaily.com/content/letter-editor-reagan

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ronald Reagan was the single biggest factor in the fall of the Iron curtain and freedom for millions of people around the world. He is beloved by Americans on both sides of the aisle and was perhaps the most respected American leader (note: "respected", not loved or adored) of the 20th century. We could use a man of his caliber in the White House today.

October 28, 2010 Mailed I-129F

November 1, 2010 NOA1

February 11, 2011 Touched!

February 18, 2011 Touched again!

March 14, 2011 Touched yet again!

March 28, 2011 NOA2 :) 147 days email & text

April 01, 2011 NOA2 harcopy received

April 04, 2011 package received @ NVC (got NVC case number)

April 06, 2011 Package sent to US Consulate in Vancouver, BC

April 08, 2011 Package received at US Consulate in Vancouver, BC

April 15, 2011 received Package 3 via email

April 15, 2011 Returned Package 3 checklist, DS230, and 156K

April 18, 2011 Interview scheduled for May 5th, 2011

May 04, 2011 Medical @ Woking Clinic: passed

May 05, 2011 Interview @ US Consulate Vancouver: Approved!!

May 12, 2011 Visa received!

May 14, 2011 POE Calgary, then HOME to St. Louis!

May 19, 2011 Now Mr. and Mrs! :)

May 24, 2011 Mailed AOS to Chicago Lockbox

May 25, 2011 AOS rec'd per FEDEX

June 3, 2011 AOS rec'd per USCIS text, I-797 to follow

June 8, 2011 AOS & EAD NOA1 Rec'd hardcopy

June 9, 2011 Biometrics appointment ltr for 6/22 rec'd

June 22, 2011 Biometrics completed

July 22, 2011 AOS Transferred to CSC

July 28, 2011 EAD Approved

Sept. 20, 2011 RFE for medical

Oct. 4, 2011 Mailed RFE back USPS Priority Mail

Oct. 6, 2011 RFE received by USCIS

Oct. 24, 2011 Received "approved" update on USCIS Website :)

Oct. 28, 2011 Received "welcome letter" and "Green Card" on the same day!

One year exactly from filing I-129F to Green Card!

Filed: Country:
Timeline
Ronald Reagan was the single biggest factor in the fall of the Iron curtain and freedom for millions of people around the world. He is beloved by Americans on both sides of the aisle and was perhaps the most respected American leader (note: "respected", not loved or adored) of the 20th century. We could use a man of his caliber in the White House today.

I second everything you said...

Further, it was his conviction to do what he believed in not what other's convinced him of that earned him that respect.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

In the conservative utopia, tax cuts pay for themselves and former President Ronald Reagan is the next best thing to Jesus. However, human beings don’t inhabit the conservative Never-Neverland. We live in reality.

yet, the left believes in taxing everything that exists to pay for liberal pipe dreams.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline

Still baiting I see.

quit biting then.

if that's bait to you, then i suggest a thicker skin.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Timeline

Or you could adopt a less confrontational posture. Dodgy generalisations lead to flame wars, you've been here long enough to know that.

spare me your outrage. it was a comment on the writer's thoughts. if you can't figure that out, then go back to school.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Or you could adopt a less confrontational posture. Dodgy generalisations lead to flame wars, you've been here long enough to know that.

Do shut up. You never have an opinion anyway. Just lots of blah blah blah.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

spare me your outrage. it was a comment on the writer's thoughts. if you can't figure that out, then go back to school.

No outrage here. Just seems to me that you are always stoking the fire.

Do shut up. You never have an opinion anyway. Just lots of blah blah blah.

No.

Timeline

No outrage here. Just seems to me that you are always stoking the fire.

no, it's not.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't think that's really true outside of the US.

Reagan never seemed to me to be a particularly notable President - other than that he was less blatantly corrupt than Nixon (though the Iran Contra affair is still extremely dodgy).

no, it's not.

Just saying what I see.

Filed: Other Timeline

By a wide margin, Reagan was the worst president of modern history.

He was a president for the wealthy, at the expense of everyone else in this country. No compassion, no mercy. An actor and a cowboy through and through.

The decline of public services he initiated when turning around what the best president of modern times, Roosevelt, had started, is just breathtaking. The hundreds of mentally ill, homeless people roaming the streets of my California hometown, Ventura, are living tesimony of his closing of the mental hospitals in California through his time as Governor.

His very own son, Ron Reagan, a politically active fellow, as respectful as he is, makes no secret out of the fact that he despises his late father for what he has done to the American people and this country in general.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915