I AM NOT THAT GUY

Microsoft Automatic Updates

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I spent a few hours solving a problem caused by the new batch of Microsoft Security Updates. After dealing with the support tech at Microsoft for another hour, we decided my solution works best.

If you cannot load windows normally, go to "safe mode", then go to "control panel", then "add/remove programs". Make sure "Show Updates" is checked, and remove "KB2476687" under "XP Security Updates". Then, restart the computer, and Windows should load normally. If not, call 1-866-PCSAFETY for free assistance. Don't forget to go to "Microsoft Updates" and hide that particular update, or you will encounter this problem again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I spent a few hours solving a problem caused by the new batch of Microsoft Security Updates. After dealing with the support tech at Microsoft for another hour, we decided my solution works best.

If you cannot load windows normally, go to "safe mode", then go to "control panel", then "add/remove programs". Make sure "Show Updates" is checked, and remove "KB2476687" under "XP Security Updates". Then, restart the computer, and Windows should load normally. If not, call 1-866-PCSAFETY for free assistance. Don't forget to go to "Microsoft Updates" and hide that particular update, or you will encounter this problem again.

How about some useful information with this post, such as what the problem was, what version of windows the update was for, etc, etc

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

What if you are running i7 64 bit ?

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

huh.gif

I guess you must be confused, hint, you're the only one running Win 3.11. rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

How about some useful information with this post, such as what the problem was, what version of windows the update was for, etc, etc

XP Pro, XP Security Update, Windows not loading normally, last good boot didn't work.

It turned out to be a conflict with Google Chrome. Once Chrome was removed, I could install the update. Then I downloaded and installed Chrome again. First clue was that I couldn't use the Chrome browser later in the day. Perhaps the malicious software removal tool trashed it. It's a happy computer again, no thanks to MS Support.

Edited by Some Old Guy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

XP Pro, XP Security Update, Windows not loading normally, last good boot didn't work.

It turned out to be a conflict with Google Chrome. Once Chrome was removed, I could install the update. Then I downloaded and installed Chrome again. First clue was that I couldn't use the Chrome browser later in the day. Perhaps the malicious software removal tool trashed it. It's a happy computer again, no thanks to MS Support.

With XP, have my auto updates switched off, but still get that new update warning, just ignore it with hundreds of security updates and malicious hackers. Using a hardware firewall, and since I installed that, never had a problem. Really had problems when I permitted my computer to do a netframe upgrade on the fly, crashed my computer, but thank goodness I had a complete backup for drive C. Never use that drive for any data I have. If I really want an upgrade, will download it first, then load it, after doing a backup.

Microsoft seems to have upgrades that solve one problem and create ten more. Windows 3.11 was a good OS, still have that on an old computer and never had problems with it, its all been downhill since. Damn basterds keep on making changes, not improvements to obsolete whatever you have.

Timeline

I guess you must be confused, hint, you're the only one running Win 3.11. rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

Actually, i7 64 bit is not an operating system, it's a processor. And. BTW, all i7s are 64 bit. You never mentioned what version of windows you are running.

Timeline

Sounds like it was a combination of things. I have an XP system up-to-date w/ GC and no problems.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Sounds like it was a combination of things. I have an XP system up-to-date w/ GC and no problems.

Was sure suckered into buying an HP laptop with a docking station for my wife. Its not backward compatible with XP and not forward compatible with 7, dead stuck with Vista.

Did go computer shopping only to learn her overpriced docking station is dedicated strictly for her computer. Got on Vista site with some expert on their with constant WinMail problems, his solution sucked. Learned the hard way, its their damned security system for these damned public computers, if she just get one e-mail that is secured, WinMail won't even open and gives some stupid reason. Got rid of most of that public ####### I could, can do that with XP, but not Vista, but have to get into all of her e-mails and make them accessible to at least the administrator.

Swear Microsoft is smoking crack. Thank you Reagan for getting rid of the anti-trust act we had before you got in, we now have a monopoly on OS, and not one administration changed that. Also have monopolies in many other areas, energy is one of them. What happened to fair marketing and competition that made this country great?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually, i7 64 bit is not an operating system, it's a processor. And. BTW, all i7s are 64 bit. You never mentioned what version of windows you are running.

You responded to a valid question with a snarky emoticon. Let me respond to your question using your technique...........huh.gif

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Timeline

You responded to a valid question with a snarky emoticon. Let me respond to your question using your technique...........huh.gif

Actually it was not a valid question. It made no sense and had nothing to do with the original topic.

Doing a system restore is also an effective way to go back to the time just prior to having the issues.

That was the first thing I tried, but the all my restore points were wiped, except for one made before the updates were installed. I finally restored the system to that point after the third try. Then I began installing the updates on at a time until I found the one causing the problem. Did I mention that MS Support is clueless?