Justine+David

To cut or not to cut...

33 posts in this topic

David and I are thinking about having kids in the next few years and while talking to my Dad about it, he was surprised and a bit disgruntled when I told him that we would not be circumcising any male children that we have. It got a little heated and I left the conversation quite put out. David would never think about it and I take care of sick babies for a living--no way could I ever stand to do it.

It fascinates me that most American men are cut yet the opposite is true of the rest of the world's men. Any of you folks out there have male children? Do you/did you plan to circumcise? Did you run across any resistance or ridicule on either side? That is, assuming that you broadcast your choice to the world :P

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

David and I are thinking about having kids in the next few years and while talking to my Dad about it, he was surprised and a bit disgruntled when I told him that we would not be circumcising any male children that we have. It got a little heated and I left the conversation quite put out. David would never think about it and I take care of sick babies for a living--no way could I ever stand to do it.

It fascinates me that most American men are cut yet the opposite is true of the rest of the world's men. Any of you folks out there have male children? Do you/did you plan to circumcise? Did you run across any resistance or ridicule on either side? That is, assuming that you broadcast your choice to the world :P

Why are you discussing this with your Dad?

Circumcision is prevalent in the Muslin world. And the Jewish world. It's not just an American phenomenon.

Really, your son's ####### is nobody else's business. I don't know why you would care what other people think. You've already made up your mind.

Edited by Rebecca Jo

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Why are you discussing this with your Dad?

Circumcision is prevalent in the Muslin world. And the Jewish world. It's not just an American phenomenon.

Really, your son's ####### is nobody else's business. I don't know why you would care what other people think. You've already made up your mind.

It's just a topic of conversation :blush: why are we having a thread about objectifying our significant others? :lol:

My Dad is a critical care RN, just as I am (although I do babies and he does adults) so I thought he would have a different perspective and other things to add to the discussion that I might not have thought about.

If you look at the statistics from the WHO, only about 30% of men are circumcised, so it's actually not as prevalent as you might think. The Muslim and Jewish identity when compared to the world numbers is smaller overall.

I don't particularly care what other people think, as you've said we've made up our minds, but I thought it was an interesting point of discussion since this IS a forum of folks living around the world integrating their cultures with American cultures. Not sure why you're so down about it? (F)

Naturalization

Not actually asking people on what they think we should personally do as we've already made up our minds, but thought it would be interesting to hear other folks' experiences :thumbs:

as an aside, one my ex's wasn't cut and born American :) he's doing just fine (or so he said at my wedding :lol: )

Edited by Justine+David

Naturalization

Not actually asking people on what they think we should personally do as we've already made up our minds, but thought it would be interesting to hear other folks' experiences :thumbs:

as an aside, one my ex's wasn't cut and born American :) he's doing just fine (or so he said at my wedding :lol: )

My ex was also one of those rare American males. His parents just didn't bother to have it done because it added an extra few bucks to the hospital bill (my ex was one of five boys).

Personally I don't fell one way or the other about it. My son is the typical American male. There is pain with circumcision. I heard my son wailing while it was being done. It's a bit of extra work (for about 48 hours) when diapering an infant. I don't ask my son how he likes his ####### these days. I've not heard him complain over it. :P

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

if steven and I have kids, they will not be cut. I've found that it's just safer to not discuss the topic, because so many people are misinformed about the foreskin... you try to argue against circumcision, and you are met with hostility in most cases! I can't even wrap my brain around it, and I stopped trying a while ago.

02-date forgotten-2008: met online playing a game called lineage 2

06-17-2009: met in person for the first time!

06-26-2009: proposal <3

10-6-2009 through 11-3-2009: lived together for a month

03-24-2010 through 03-30-2010: traveled to meet his family

06-16-2010: started printing paperwork for I-129F package

06-25-2010: mailed off the I-129F package!!!

07-06-2010: NOA1 (according to the paper I hadn't got yet)

07-08-2010: check cashed

07-12-2010: hard copy NOA1 received in the mail

07-12-2010: touched

10-03-2010: touched

10-29-2010: NOA2!

11-08-2010: NVC received our petition

01-01-2011: called embassy as we never got packet 3. got "lost" in the mail. worst 2 months ever!

01-18-2011: medical! passed!

02-18-2011: INTERVIEW! APPROVED!!

03-02-2011: FLIGHT! POE: Dulles Airport!

03-09-2011: marriage certificate/license complete!

05-11-2011: mailed out AOS package (after a long fight getting the varicella vax done, and the medical paperwork completed)

05-13-2011: package delivered

08-11-2011: welcome to the united states notice! green card coming in 3 weeks!

I don't ask my son how he likes his ####### these days. I've not heard him complain over it. :P

:rofl:

I realize this is not the most kosher topic, btw, either (no pun intended!) I've been known to discuss different colored stools at the dinner table and how excited I was when one of my favorite babies made her first stool after surgery. Sometimes I wonder how David puts up with it all!

Naturalization

This is going to be a funny thread.

Because it's US women talking about something that's basically a trait of their husband's society. And talking quite passionately about it. Something they probably never really thought about before they met up with their un-cut British men.

Sounds like all the potential for MENA-like drama. :lol::P

:rofl:

I realize this is not the most kosher topic, btw, either (no pun intended!) I've been known to discuss different colored stools at the dinner table and how excited I was when one of my favorite babies made her first stool after surgery. Sometimes I wonder how David puts up with it all!

Well actually when I read the post, my skin crawled a little bit. :lol:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I used to have a friend at work who's brother needed to have his removed as an adult ( mostly because he was a pig when it came to hygiene) That is not something any adult male should have to go through. My own sons are cut, when my husband has sons I guess we will discuss it. Personally I don't care

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiancee is natural, as he would say. His is the first I have seen in its natural state. He is very proud of himself and take pride in its cleanliness. It is narrow-minded thinking that uncut men are somehow dirtier. I would never think of having a son be different than his father. Less and less people in the US are circumcised these days, with the influx of Latinos and Eastern Europeans. This is a personal choice for the two of you, of course, but ultimately up to his father instill pride in him and his body.

We won't be cutting. I only really thought of it as an issue when my mother-in-law happened to mention in conversation that "of course we did circumcision for medical reasons". My husband seems happy with the decision not to cut. A minority of American men are now circumcised, so I think in a generation or two the practice will be less acceptable.

Because it's US women talking about something that's basically a trait of their husband's society. And talking quite passionately about it. Something they probably never really thought about before they met up with their un-cut British men.

You're right. I never even thought about it, but my husband says no cutting for our baby boys (if any).

Works for me!

Our naturalization timeline
1/12/2015 - Application sent to Phoenix service center by USPS priority mail

1/14/2015 - Package received in Phoenix

1/16/2015 - NOA date (hard copy received 1/22)

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

2/11/2015 - In line for interview

3/28/2015 - Hard copy interview notice received

4/29/2015 - Interview at Chicago field office - Approved!!!

5/22/2015 - Oath ceremony - Now a US citizen!!!!!!

Thank you, VisaJourney!!!!!

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

an1cHsK0g000610MTNsc3wxMDAwOTk4c2F8V2Uga

I think it all depends on the dad. If dad is, they tend to want their boys to have it done. My ex was and so my son was....I don't think he is any worse for it. My hubby isn't and it was the first time I had ever seen one with all the wrapping paper on it. :D One note though, my former father in law had to have it done when he was in his 60's. He had some sort of infection and it was BAD. He said it was VERY painful as an adult.

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

My father is a first-generation American (Naturalized), and has said during a discussion once about it that he isn't cut. I discussed this once with my parents, not because I was looking for their opinion, but because my family doesn't have any taboo subjects when it comes to dinner discussions. Trust me, it makes for a lot of odd conversations. Anyways, I get the impression that my mother insisted on my brother being circumcised, but I don't know for sure. When we talked about it, she raised the issue of two people she knew having to get it done as adults. It's a fair guess that the amount of adult complications needing one done is probably close to the amount of complications for infants getting it done.

I've experienced both 'worlds' so to speak throughout my dating years, and really I don't see that big of a difference. No guy who was uncut that I've talked to amongst my friends has ever had an issue growing up with being 'different'. Most guys just don't look that closely at another dude's #######. I decided early on that it's an unnecessary surgery, so if I ever have boys, I won't be getting it done.

kitsig.jpg

K-1 Visa/ AOS Timeline:
(Detailed info on our timeline can be found here: About us)

ROC Timeline:

02/10/2014 - ROC Sent.

02/12/2014 - NOA1 Date.

03/11/2014 - Biometrics Date.

05/28/2014 - Card Production.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.