chman_zinga

Electronic Processing Steps

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

HI Guys;

Our Case for IR 1 has been recently approved and now in process of moving to NVC, our consulate is in Montreal where, We have a choice of Electronic Processing and mandatory requirement of filling DS-260 online.

Our confusion is the regarding the sequence of the procedure and if we decided to Electronic Processing, how to scan AOS (I-864) package documents and IV Package Documents. So We have following questions and we will be grateful to anybody’s help who has gone through similar situation.

Q1- Once case arrived at NVC, what is the first, second and third thing we need to do. As I understood I have to call them and give them our email addresses, then do we have to send an email right away to enroll in Electronic Processing or do we need to wait for anything, also When do you inform NVC about the Choice of Agent (DS-261) which require some kind of identification code, how and at what stage do you get it.

Q2- For electronics processing, Do you scan each document individually by giving it appropriate name, and have lot of attachments in single email or do you scan all documents together, create one big PDF file and have only one big attachment in email and send it. Is it ok if it’s in Black White or it should be color only, also how do you scan Passport Size photos.

Q3 – It would be really helpful if some can describe each steps in sequence until case gets finished at NVC, so we can be prepared and proactive of next step, after every steps.

I hope I am not asking too much in one email, I will be really grateful to any VJers who can help us .

Thanks

Chman_Zinga

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HI Guys;

Our Case for IR 1 has been recently approved and now in process of moving to NVC, our consulate is in Montreal where, We have a choice of Electronic Processing and mandatory requirement of filling DS-260 online.

Our confusion is the regarding the sequence of the procedure and if we decided to Electronic Processing, how to scan AOS (I-864) package documents and IV Package Documents. So We have following questions and we will be grateful to anybody's help who has gone through similar situation.

Q1- Once case arrived at NVC, what is the first, second and third thing we need to do. As I understood I have to call them and give them our email addresses, then do we have to send an email right away to enroll in Electronic Processing or do we need to wait for anything, also When do you inform NVC about the Choice of Agent (DS-261) which require some kind of identification code, how and at what stage do you get it.

Q2- For electronics processing, Do you scan each document individually by giving it appropriate name, and have lot of attachments in single email or do you scan all documents together, create one big PDF file and have only one big attachment in email and send it. Is it ok if it's in Black White or it should be color only, also how do you scan Passport Size photos.

Q3 – It would be really helpful if some can describe each steps in sequence until case gets finished at NVC, so we can be prepared and proactive of next step, after every steps.

I hope I am not asking too much in one email, I will be really grateful to any VJers who can help us .

Thanks

Chman_Zinga

Hi,

I'm going through NVC right now and I'll answer your questions as best as I can.

1. About a week after your case gets to NVC, start calling them up. When you do find out a case number has been assigned, talk to an operator and make sure you get the IIN (Invoice Identification number) and the beneficiary ID number. And then give the email addresses of both the petitioner and beneficiary. With your case number and IIN, you can then sign onto the payment portal here: https://ceac.state.gov/CTRAC/Invoice/signon.aspx and check when your bills become invoiced. After you get all the information from the operator, you can then send an optin email to NVC. Follow the instructions here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_5163.html After getting a case number assigned, it took two days (it might have been one day, but NVC closed the day after I got my case number) for the DS-261 to appear here: https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx?signout=true Once it's available, you can send it. You're going to need the beneficiary ID so make sure you get it when first talking with an operator.

2. The attachment should be one large PDF file. Make sure it's not too big in size. I'd say around 10 MB to be safe, anything more and it might get rejected by their system. Make sure you have the case number written on the top of each page. I'm not sure if this is needed for electronic processing, but just to be safe. The forms can be in black and white, but anything with color (like passport photos, certificates, etc) should be scanned in color. As for the passport pictures, this is what I'm going to do: I'm going to put one picture facing up with another one facing down beside it then scan it. Then flip them both over and scan again. I'm not entirely sure what you're really supposed to do with electronic processing, but they ask for two pictures, so I'll scan two pictures. Make sure on the back of each picture is the beneficiary's full name, date of birth, and case number.

3. As far as I know, after following the instructions in question 1, it continues like this: once the I-864 appears and you pay it, wait a few days then it will be accepted. Print out the coversheet and barcode (only available after its paid), attach it to the very front of the I-864 package and then email it all off. Make sure you include in the body of the email petitioner's name, date of birth, and email address, along with the same information for the beneficiary. And the subject line should include your case number in it. Once the DS-261 is accepted, the IV bill should appear. Pay it and wait. Once it's paid, print the coversheet and barcode for that one. The DS-260 should then be available to fill out. It's at the same link as the DS-261. Once you're done, submit it. Then email off the DS-260 supporting documents. Again, make sure you have the appropriate information in the body of the email and the subject line. Again, the attachment is one big PDF file with the cover sheet at the beginning. After this, you're done unless you get an RFE. Call up an operator at least once a day to make sure everything is fine with your case.

I hope this answered all your questions. If you have any more, just ask away and I'll try my best to answer those as well. I'm only beginning in NVC, so the process might be a bit different, but from all my research, what I wrote above is how I understand the process goes.

Timeline

Thank you saylin, your explanation is really helpful

Chman_Zinga

Hi,

I'm going through NVC right now and I'll answer your questions as best as I can.

1. About a week after your case gets to NVC, start calling them up. When you do find out a case number has been assigned, talk to an operator and make sure you get the IIN (Invoice Identification number) and the beneficiary ID number. And then give the email addresses of both the petitioner and beneficiary. With your case number and IIN, you can then sign onto the payment portal here: https://ceac.state.gov/CTRAC/Invoice/signon.aspx and check when your bills become invoiced. After you get all the information from the operator, you can then send an optin email to NVC. Follow the instructions here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/visa_5163.html After getting a case number assigned, it took two days (it might have been one day, but NVC closed the day after I got my case number) for the DS-261 to appear here: https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx?signout=true Once it's available, you can send it. You're going to need the beneficiary ID so make sure you get it when first talking with an operator.

2. The attachment should be one large PDF file. Make sure it's not too big in size. I'd say around 10 MB to be safe, anything more and it might get rejected by their system. Make sure you have the case number written on the top of each page. I'm not sure if this is needed for electronic processing, but just to be safe. The forms can be in black and white, but anything with color (like passport photos, certificates, etc) should be scanned in color. As for the passport pictures, this is what I'm going to do: I'm going to put one picture facing up with another one facing down beside it then scan it. Then flip them both over and scan again. I'm not entirely sure what you're really supposed to do with electronic processing, but they ask for two pictures, so I'll scan two pictures. Make sure on the back of each picture is the beneficiary's full name, date of birth, and case number.

3. As far as I know, after following the instructions in question 1, it continues like this: once the I-864 appears and you pay it, wait a few days then it will be accepted. Print out the coversheet and barcode (only available after its paid), attach it to the very front of the I-864 package and then email it all off. Make sure you include in the body of the email petitioner's name, date of birth, and email address, along with the same information for the beneficiary. And the subject line should include your case number in it. Once the DS-261 is accepted, the IV bill should appear. Pay it and wait. Once it's paid, print the coversheet and barcode for that one. The DS-260 should then be available to fill out. It's at the same link as the DS-261. Once you're done, submit it. Then email off the DS-260 supporting documents. Again, make sure you have the appropriate information in the body of the email and the subject line. Again, the attachment is one big PDF file with the cover sheet at the beginning. After this, you're done unless you get an RFE. Call up an operator at least once a day to make sure everything is fine with your case.

I hope this answered all your questions. If you have any more, just ask away and I'll try my best to answer those as well. I'm only beginning in NVC, so the process might be a bit different, but from all my research, what I wrote above is how I understand the process goes.

Thank you saylin, your explanation is really helpful

Chman_Zinga

You're welcome, glad it helped! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Saylin, one quick question.

With the electronic processing, does DS-261 substitutes(supersedes) DS-3032, or both forms should be submitted?

PS. We're going to watch you guys very closely ;)) We got our NOA2s the same day. Probably, we'll see ya @ Montreal...

Hi,

Saylin, one quick question.

With the electronic processing, does DS-261 substitutes(supersedes) DS-3032, or both forms should be submitted?

PS. We're going to watch you guys very closely ;)) We got our NOA2s the same day. Probably, we'll see ya @ Montreal...

You fill out JUST the DS-261, don't do DS-3032. I got my case number on Tuesday, Wednesday NVC was closed due to weather, and by Thursday morning, I was able to send the DS-261. If you don't have the site yet, here it is: https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx?signout=true Up until Thursday, I wasn't able to see anything once I logged in. It said that my case was not eligible for further processing, but then it finally showed me the fees, the DS-261, and DS-260.

If you want to see what the DS-261 is gonna look like, I took some screenshots and you can find it here: http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/smurf47/DS-261%20Screenshots/ If you click each picture, I included a description underneath.

And I would highly suggest checking out (if you haven't already), the DS-260 screenshots that someone else uploaded: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/49845403/DS-260-screen-shots I went over them on Friday and got the additional info I needed that I didn't need for the DS-230. The DS-260 asks for EXACT dates (month, date, year) for addresses, employment, schools, etc, whereas the DS-230 only wanted month, year. So if you don't know them, I would suggest finding out and saving yourself time when the DS-260 does become available. There's also a few other differences with the DS-260, so you should make sure you have everything ready ahead of time if you want to get it done quickly.

If you want to see everything in detail about what we're doing, I have a blog dedicated to this whole immigration process and you might find it useful: http://journeythroughimmigration.blogspot.com/

And hope to see ya at Montreal. It'd be nice to know someone there on the interview day ;)

Timeline

Hi Saylin

One quick help, if you can, can you send me the Sample Email you sent for opting in Electronic processing

I just want to make sure I don't make mistake.

Thanks

chman_zinga

You fill out JUST the DS-261, don't do DS-3032. I got my case number on Tuesday, Wednesday NVC was closed due to weather, and by Thursday morning, I was able to send the DS-261. If you don't have the site yet, here it is: https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx?signout=true Up until Thursday, I wasn't able to see anything once I logged in. It said that my case was not eligible for further processing, but then it finally showed me the fees, the DS-261, and DS-260.

If you want to see what the DS-261 is gonna look like, I took some screenshots and you can find it here: http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/smurf47/DS-261%20Screenshots/ If you click each picture, I included a description underneath.

And I would highly suggest checking out (if you haven't already), the DS-260 screenshots that someone else uploaded: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/49845403/DS-260-screen-shots I went over them on Friday and got the additional info I needed that I didn't need for the DS-230. The DS-260 asks for EXACT dates (month, date, year) for addresses, employment, schools, etc, whereas the DS-230 only wanted month, year. So if you don't know them, I would suggest finding out and saving yourself time when the DS-260 does become available. There's also a few other differences with the DS-260, so you should make sure you have everything ready ahead of time if you want to get it done quickly.

If you want to see everything in detail about what we're doing, I have a blog dedicated to this whole immigration process and you might find it useful: http://journeythroughimmigration.blogspot.com/

And hope to see ya at Montreal. It'd be nice to know someone there on the interview day ;)

Hi Saylin

One quick help, if you can, can you send me the Sample Email you sent for opting in Electronic processing

I just want to make sure I don't make mistake.

Thanks

chman_zinga

The optin email is easy.

In the subject line put: OPTIN MTL20115XXXXX

The X's are the rest of your case number. You have to make sure 'OPTIN' is the first 5 letters in the subject of the email. Then the rest of the subject line is your case number.

As for the body, it's just:

Petitioner's name:

Petitioner's date of birth:

Petitioner's email address:

Beneficiary's name:

Beneficiary's date of birth:

Beneficiary's email address:

And that's it! I sent the optin email after getting the case number, IIN, and beneficiary ID number, and giving the email addresses to the operator. I sent this last Tuesday and still waiting for an acceptance. But I'm sure they have lots of emails to go through, so I'm waiting patiently.

Timeline

thanks again

Chman_Zinga

The optin email is easy.

The X's are the rest of your case number. You have to make sure 'OPTIN' is the first 5 letters in the subject of the email. Then the rest of the subject line is your case number.

Petitioner's name:

Beneficiary's name:

And that's it! I sent the optin email after getting the case number, IIN, and beneficiary ID number, and giving the email addresses to the operator. I sent this last Tuesday and still waiting for an acceptance. But I'm sure they have lots of emails to go through, so I'm waiting patiently.

Timeline

Hi Saylin;

One more quick question, I have paid my I 864 fees today, and my wife has completed DS-261 as well. Now once I 864 shows paid, do you have to wait till you get confirmation from NVC that you have successfully enrolled in Electronic Processing or you just email the package. On your blog you said, you have already sent the I 864 package, then did your receive any confirmation that you have been successfully enrolled in Electronic Processing or not ?Also the I 864 package has to be sent at the same email address (NVCElectronic@state.gov) we used to opt in for Electronic Processing or at some different email address.

Chman_Zinga

The optin email is easy.

Petitioner's name:

Beneficiary's name:

Hi Saylin;

One more quick question, I have paid my I 864 fees today, and my wife has completed DS-261 as well. Now once I 864 shows paid, do you have to wait till you get confirmation from NVC that you have successfully enrolled in Electronic Processing or you just email the package. On your blog you said, you have already sent the I 864 package, then did your receive any confirmation that you have been successfully enrolled in Electronic Processing or not ?Also the I 864 package has to be sent at the same email address (NVCElectronic@state.gov) we used to opt in for Electronic Processing or at some different email address.

Chman_Zinga

Hi,

No, I did not wait for confirmation for the optin. I just sent in my I-864 straight away. And it's to the same email as the optin: NVCElectronic@state.gov

Usually the optin acceptance takes 2-3 weeks but you don't need to wait to send packages in.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks again guys. Keep us posted ( I'm sure you will ;) )

Timeline

HI Saylin

I have paid my I 864 fee and sent the package, now waiting for IV fee to be invoiced.

One more question for you, where did you get the police clearance certificate for your spouse in canada?

Can you share some details about what type of PCC one has to get and how to get it in Canada(Toronto)

Again thanks for your help so far.

chman_zinga

Hi,

No, I did not wait for confirmation for the optin. I just sent in my I-864 straight away. And it's to the same email as the optin: NVCElectronic@state.gov

Usually the optin acceptance takes 2-3 weeks but you don't need to wait to send packages in.

HI Saylin

I have paid my I 864 fee and sent the package, now waiting for IV fee to be invoiced.

One more question for you, where did you get the police clearance certificate for your spouse in canada?

Can you share some details about what type of PCC one has to get and how to get it in Canada(Toronto)

Again thanks for your help so far.

chman_zinga

Grats on sending the I-864 package!

I got my PCC done here: http://www.recordcheck.ca/our-services/canadian-police-cpic-checks/ But if you're in Toronto, that won't work then since that's only for those in Montreal. You can either get it done at a local police station, an RCMP office, or at a place that does police certificates like where I got it done. Ask around for prices and delivery times. Mine cost $40 and arrived within a week and a half.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.