johanna1999

Bringing underage daughter to visit

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

My daughter (10 years old) in Colombia is in the process of getting her passport, as soon as she gets it I'll be calling Bogota to get her visa. Two years ago I went to the consular office in Barranquilla to claim her as an American, but I didn't have the proof of living in the states like they required. So they gave me a letter saying that if i wanted to bring her here, we could apply for a visa.

Anyway, what i'm trying to say is, when her mom and i were involved, we were kids, in our early teens and never got married. Each one of us is married now with different people, will this affect her (my daughter) getting approved for a tourist visa?

Thanks so much for your help!

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You both being marrried to different people will have no effect however she did try migrating and that you would have to overcome. Prove to the embassy that her visit would just be a visit. It's possible the embassies follow no specific rule/s because some people who has nothing /no ties are approved while others who are stable are turned down.

Edited by RICARDO4EVA2

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

On first paragraph u said she was your daughter, and then the second paragraph u mentioned "her MOM" which obvious because u claimed her as your daughter then later there is "her mom" involved. So what u trying to do? Bringing a kid, saying to the embassy that is your kid and try to get her the US passport?

First of all, i've never heard such a child at this age going to US with TOURIST visa when she has "no goods" or valuable properties in the country which will tie her down and make her going back to Columbia on expiring visa.

Second of all, if u want to claim she your child and get her US passport right away. Then there are odd things between u and her. First is that, WHY did not u bring her to US right away after she was born if she was really your child? If it was financial situations then i dont think it would take you 10 years to reach that.

Third, what is she doing here in US with tourist visa? Don't tell me she going to school here...really...

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My daughter (10 years old) in Colombia is in the process of getting her passport, as soon as she gets it I'll be calling Bogota to get her visa. Two years ago I went to the consular office in Barranquilla to claim her as an American, but I didn't have the proof of living in the states like they required. So they gave me a letter saying that if i wanted to bring her here, we could apply for a visa.

Anyway, what i'm trying to say is, when her mom and i were involved, we were kids, in our early teens and never got married. Each one of us is married now with different people, will this affect her (my daughter) getting approved for a tourist visa?

Thanks so much for your help!

All people that have visas are considered "intending immigrants". That includes tourist visas. She will have to prove her " strongest ties " are to Colombia to have any chance of getting a tourist visa to visit her father in the USA. I would suggest the mother in Colombia will apply for the visa. In doing so she could acknowledge in writing the fact that the child could not immigrate to the USA without her written permision. The expectation is that the child will return to her mother.

PS: Your US citizenship is not superior to anyone else. Or not going to jail for illegal stuffs. Why are u CAPPING the statement that u were US citizen? You are the citizen, so do i. Even a rich man still go to jail (like Madoff). You are just like me, and we are like everyone else with no exception. SO please...

Timeline

PS I FORGOT TO ADD THAT I AM AMERICAN! :whistle:

IF her mother has a Visitor's Visa... then have her apply.. it would be so much easier for the daughter to obtain one.

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Timeline

PS: Your US citizenship is not superior to anyone else. Or not going to jail for illegal stuffs. Why are u CAPPING the statement that u were US citizen? You are the citizen, so do i. Even a rich man still go to jail (like Madoff). You are just like me, and we are like everyone else with no exception. SO please...

Welcome to VJ

be nice. :thumbs:

Edited by RICARDO4EVA2

Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Not very sure what you are trying to do, in your original post you said she tried to get a US passport earlier was declined and now you want to bring her here as tourist?

Doe not make any sense to me, it seems that you are trying to commit a visa fraud - bring her here under pretext of tourist and she would never return back home upon her visa expiry.

Filed: Other Timeline

If you are a US citizen, and were a US citizen when your daughter was born, your daughter is (aside from a few exceptions) a US citizen as well, based on jus sanguis.

Hence, applying for a tourist visa to the US for a US citizen is not just illegal, but quite non-sensical.

Although the "citizenship by birth" rules have been complex, the February 2001 Child Citizenship Act (CCA) simplified the process. Now, a child who is under the age of 18, was born outside the U.S., and has at least one U.S. citizen parent automatically acquires U.S. citizenship upon entry into the country as an immigrant. No further paperwork is necessary. The parent may request a Certificate of Citizenship and U.S. Passport for the child if proof of the baby's American-ness is desired.

If your daughter is a US citizen, you'll have to prove it, most likely via her birth certificate showing you as the father plus your US passport, plus a DNA test establishing the blood relationship between the two of you.

Once that's done, you can once more pursue getting her a US passport.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

http://iceland.usembassy.gov/birth_abroad.html

A child is born abroad to a U.S. citizen father and a non-U.S. citizen mother, and the parents were not married at the time of the birth: The child may qualify for citizenship if the father was present in the United States for at least five years, including two years after the age of 14, before the birth of the child. In addition, before the child turns 18, the father must either legitimize the child under Icelandic law or sign a statement in front of a notary public or U.S. consular officer in which he acknowledges paternity. The father must also sign a statement in front of a notary public or U.S. consular officer in which he promises to support the child until the child is 18 years old.

-------------------------

To Johanna1999 - you said that you did not have proof of meeting the residency requirment to get your daughter's US passport. Do you have the proof now? Your middle school (jr. high) and high school transcript would be the easies way to prove it. If you do meet the requirement, this is the way to go - US citizenship entitles her to enter the US whenever she wants.

If she is not a US citizen, the toursit visa is one way to get her to visit the US. However, I would not pursue this route.

If she is not a US citizen, you could petition for your daughter. This will take 6-12 months. When she enters the US, she will automatically gain citizenship. Apply to get her certificate of citizenship and a US passport. After she gets her paperwork, she can go back to live with her mom. She can then enter the US whenever she wants as a US citizen.

http://iceland.usembassy.gov/birth_abroad.html

A child is born abroad to a U.S. citizen father and a non-U.S. citizen mother, and the parents were not married at the time of the birth: The child may qualify for citizenship if the father was present in the United States for at least five years, including two years after the age of 14, before the birth of the child. In addition, before the child turns 18, the father must either legitimize the child under Icelandic law or sign a statement in front of a notary public or U.S. consular officer in which he acknowledges paternity. The father must also sign a statement in front of a notary public or U.S. consular officer in which he promises to support the child until the child is 18 years old.

-------------------------

To Johanna1999 - you said that you did not have proof of meeting the residency requirment to get your daughter's US passport. Do you have the proof now? Your middle school (jr. high) and high school transcript would be the easies way to prove it. If you do meet the requirement, this is the way to go - US citizenship entitles her to enter the US whenever she wants.

If she is not a US citizen, the toursit visa is one way to get her to visit the US. However, I would not pursue this route.

If she is not a US citizen, you could petition for your daughter. This will take 6-12 months. When she enters the US, she will automatically gain citizenship. Apply to get her certificate of citizenship and a US passport. After she gets her paperwork, she can go back to live with her mom. She can then enter the US whenever she wants as a US citizen.

You have serious issues man, you need help. I AM THE FATHER!! Learn to read!

No one is reading the post properly. Too many people here are speaking about committing fraud when i specifically wrote that I received a letter from the Consulate saying to apply for her Colombian passport with a Tourist Visa because as an American I did not have the proof of being in the states that they required. NO she is not staying, i never said she was staying, her mother is in Colombia and I want her to VISIT, to take her to Disney World! Geez.

Thanks to those that did read the post and answered my question to the best of their knowledge.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.