Rahloocuh

POE question!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Hi everyone!:) On february 4 i'll get to Chicago to my loved one! I'm sooooooooo very excited and i can't wait to hold him after 5 long months! (L) we're finally getting close to be together! Um, the question i have though is related to the Port of Entry stuff!:) I remember i read some time ago somewhere on visajourney that K1 visa holders can ask for work authorization or something like that at the time of POE? i'm not sure that's exactly what i read and i tried looking for more information. Please, if anyone knows more about it, let me know! I will really appreciate it! :D Um, i wish you all to be reunited with the ones you love as soon as possible! Nothing is more peaceful and wonderful than being close to the person you'll share the rest of your life with!

The work authorization given during POE to some is no longer valid for k1.. we need to wait for EAD which we will file together with the whole AOS packet :) I don't some still give that stamp. Congrats! :D

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi everyone!:) On february 4 i'll get to Chicago to my loved one! I'm sooooooooo very excited and i can't wait to hold him after 5 long months! (L) we're finally getting close to be together! Um, the question i have though is related to the Port of Entry stuff!:) I remember i read some time ago somewhere on visajourney that K1 visa holders can ask for work authorization or something like that at the time of POE? i'm not sure that's exactly what i read and i tried looking for more information. Please, if anyone knows more about it, let me know! I will really appreciate it! :D Um, i wish you all to be reunited with the ones you love as soon as possible! Nothing is more peaceful and wonderful than being close to the person you'll share the rest of your life with!

What you read was old news. The immigration officers at JFK airport in New York still sometimes puts a work authorization stamp in passports of K1 visa holders, but it's no longer valid for work authorization. They changed the I-9 form back in 2009 so that the stamp is valid for work authorization only with an immigrant visa. The K1 is a non-immigrant visa.

A K1 visa holder can still apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) as soon as they arrive in the US, but it will expire when your I-94 card expires, which is 90 days after you arrive. There's a good chance you won't even get the card before it's expired.

Wait and file an I-751 to get an EAD when you file your green card application. That card will be good for one year, and you'll have your green card before it expires.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Sorry to hijack this thread, but do you also file for advance parole when you file for the green card?

I-129F Fiance Visa

For full details see my "About me"

USCIS

11-22-2010 Received NOA1 01-27-2011 --> NOA2 *APPROVED!!!! (email)

NVC

02-24-2011 Receive Packet 3.5 via email --> 03-18-2011 Packet 3.5 Submitted

04-05-2011 Receive Packet 4

04-08-2011 INTERVIEW *APPROVED!!!!* --> 04-18-2011 Visa in hand

05-04-2011 **POE** JFK, NYC

AOS

05-21-2011 Social Security Card

06-18-2011 MARRIED!

07-11-2011 Filed AOS - 485, EAD, AP

07-13-2011 Received Confirmation email 07-14-2011 check cashed

07-18-2011 NOA1, I-797C received for AOS, EAD, AP

07-22-2011 Received Biometrics Appointment Notice

08-15-2011 Biometrics Appointment

09-09-2011 EAD and AP Approval notices via email

09-20-2011 Receive EAD/AP Card in the mail

09-29-2011 Interview! APPROVED!!!!

10-03-2011 Receive Welcome Letter

10-08-2011 Receive Greencard

Sorry to hijack this thread, but do you also file for advance parole when you file for the green card?

Yes, Advance Parole, the EAD and the AOS can all be sent in at the same time. The good news is, that way you only have to pay for AOS...

Rahloocuh, GOOD LUCK at Chicago! If my interview next week goes well I'll be following in your footsteps about a month later, fingers crossed for both of us! :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Thank you all for your help!:) so, it seems like what i read was old news! :D That's fine! Good luck to everyone on this journey! VeraVimes, thank you! :) Hope everything will go well when i get to Chicago! I hope there won't be any problems with POE! uh, i can't imagine how wonderful and peaceful it's going to feel when my soon-to-be hubby will hold me after a loooong trip and waiting! Fingers crossed for your interview and may God help you throught everything that's still to come! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.