msheesha

Language

15 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I'm looking to hear about what others have done to improve your SO's language.

Our situation ~ husband has been here for several months, his English is good to me. I know what he's saying and/or trying to say. I'm used to his "accent" and pronunciation, and use of some French words (sparingly) when it's similar to the English word.

His work/office is with a couple of other people, and one of the guys speaks Italian, (which my husband also speaks). If my husband's ever in a pinch/taking longer to understand the English, the guy will talk Italian.

So, we'd really like to improve his conversational English and gain more confidence in his English comprehension.

Anyone take any of the university ESL classes? They're for adults who have a foundation but need vocabulary, conversation, professional situational help with English. Seem to be geared towards professors, doctors, graduate students, etc.

The other thought we had is using a family member who teaches ESL and having him work on conversational improvement.

What did others do whose spouses wanted to improve at this level?

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband took ESL at our library. Also online language websites.

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

AbuS took an ESL course aimed at new immigrants and refugees when he first arrived, but for the most part, he's improved his english on his own. He reads a lot of news stories, and when he comes across a word he doesn't know, he looks it up, asks me how to pronounce it and commits it to memory. He practices writing and has someone proof read and smooth it out. And, when we speak, he's asked me to correct any pronunciation problem he has. It's a bit tedious, but it's really helped to reduce his accent. It's still there, but he's much easier to understand now than when he first came.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

Most universities do offer ESL classes targeted just on pronunciation/ speech. My husband has been taking ESL classes for awhile now and has started actual university classes this semester. Part of it I think is really just time. I noticed that the more he is reading, the faster his vocabulary is improving. I work hard to find him books that he will think are interesting.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Community college ESL courses are cheaper than at the U. The ones at the library are free and a great starter before officially registering.

389672_3802055654913_1108709116_n.jpg

My husband did placement testing and everything, but at least where we live, neither comm college courses nor university ones seem to be scheduled in any way conducive to working a full time job during daytime hours. My husband works almost 60 hours a week, does not want to miss work because missed time is overtime, and there's literally nothing offered in the evening late enough to work for him. It's pretty frustrating. There are all kinds of offerings for lower level skills, but once you hit a certain competency, a whole lot of doors get shut. It really doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

We ran into that a little bit as far as the competency.

He was enrolled immediately in the welcoming center/ nationalities service center ESL classes, and even though he was in the advanced classes, he was surprised that people have lived here for years and spoke less English than he did. (they were in the same class as he was).

Thankfully, the university classes do have evening classes. The next "semester" starts in March. So, hoping to get him into that.

Thanks for the suggestion about community college. Will look into that & see if it's less expensive.

Appreciate everyone's help.

MrsAmera - I wish my husband read more. He's not into novels, etc. Only policitics, newspapers. He misses his Moroccan newspapers and does a lot of online reading of news/politics etc. Wish he would read more!

Thanks everyone!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We have adult education ESL classes that are available in our county. My husband took one course in the spring at one center then transferred to a different center because the other one catered to spanish speaking people. He had to do a placement test for what level he is at. They have 6 levels and once he becomes proficient enough he will transfer to the community college and it'll go towards credits on a degree.

Google adult education in your county and see what do they have set up in the ESL. Hey, I'm happy with the free classes as long as they work!

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort. " – Herm Albright

POE: JFK New York: 04/18/2010
Receive Green Card in mail: 06/03/2010
Received SSN: 06/17/2010
Received NEW SS CARD: 07/20/2010
(to match GC!)
Got JOB!!: 09/27/2010
Got a better JOB!!: 11/20/2010

ROC Mailed: 02/16/2012
Check cashed: 02/24/2012
NOA received dated for: 02/22/2012
Biometrics dated:
04/18/2012
RFE:
10/23/2012
RFE Response Confirmed: 11/16/2012
Interview at Orlando office: 02/13/2013

2nd RFE!!: 10/03/13

2nd RFE Response: 10/09/2013

Update Biometrics: 10/13/2013 NEVER GOT 10 yr card!

N-400 mailed: 01/21/2014

Biometrics (N-400): 02/21/2014

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Ammar tried out two different kinds of ESL classes and quit both, deciding they were stupid. The last one was at the University. They were repeating like sounds, "Bird, word, nerd," and he ended saying "#######" and then got up and left. He said that was the last straw. (That was one of the best stories he has told me yet.)

Honestly it just takes time and more time than they want it to take. Now Ammar is much better than before-- in that he has more confidence and makes far less grammar and such mistakes. Now that he's into his PhD program and I'm editing his rough drafts, I can safely say he can write about a page and usually only make 1-2 mistakes per page. This makes 16 pages easier when he gives that to me. This in comparison to his MS thesis which was 99 pages and incredibly Engrish at times. He did that in Jordan though. Now he has to attend class and speak, work, read like 500pgs/week, and do school things-- so there is a lot more exposure to the language and usage.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Timeline

msheesha - it took me a long time to find something that he found interesting enough to read. What I found he liked were books by Moroccan authors. He's read two books by Leila Lalami (The Secret Son and Hope and Other Dangerous Pursuits), The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles (that one took a little more effort to get into). Right now he's reading A Life Full of Holes: A Novel Recorded and Translated by Paul Bowles by Driss ben Hamed Charhadi. Although they are in English I think he can relate to the places, some of the language and stories so it's easier to grasp.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi All,

Our situation ~ husband has been here for several months, his English is good to me. I know what he's saying and/or trying to say. I'm used to his "accent" and pronunciation, and use of some French words (sparingly) when it's similar to the English word.

His work/office is with a couple of other people, and one of the guys speaks Italian, (which my husband also speaks). If my husband's ever in a pinch/taking longer to understand the English, the guy will talk Italian.

So, we'd really like to improve his conversational English and gain more confidence in his English comprehension.

Anyone take any of the university ESL classes? They're for adults who have a foundation but need vocabulary, conversation, professional situational help with English. Seem to be geared towards professors, doctors, graduate students, etc.

The other thought we had is using a family member who teaches ESL and having him work on conversational improvement.

Thanks

Believe it or not, there are a TON of resources on YouTube. When my husband first got here he was on it all the time. We have a headset that he could put on with a microphone so I'd just hear him practicing sounds and pronunciations. :D They also have a lot of videos on customer service, dealing with American customers, job interview skills, American life, etc. At each stage of his transition here he's been able to find a bunch of help there. We talk about it too. There are even a bunch of videos on American slang and sayings. I also ordered him a dictionary and a book with American idioms. My grandmother says she can understand him a lot better now and he's been here just over 6 months.

My husband said that one of the biggest problems he was having was that when he learned English in Morocco it was more of the British English flavor and that he was taught by Moroccans who didn't know the accent so pronunciation was a big issue for him. He's taking classes now too and has permission from his professors to record the class and then I type up his notes and we talk about it. The understanding/misunderstandings can go both ways. It's a process but he really is improving. For my end, I see how hard he is working on English and I think about how much I have to learn for Darija. :bonk:

I hope this helps and best of luck!

6/27/2009 Married

10/20/2009 I-130 sent

10/28/2009 NOA1

2/8/2010 NOA2

2/12/2010 NVC received and case number assigned

2/19/2010 Gave NVC email addresses

2/19/2010 AOS/DS3032 generated (not related to giving the emails)

2/21/2010 Emailed DS3032

2/22/2010 Received DS3032 and AOS bill via email

2/23/2010 Paid AOS bill

2/25/2010 AOS bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

3/2/2010 Received IV bill

4/9/2010 Paid IV bill

4/12/2010 IV bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

4/13/2010 Mailed IV packet

4/15/2010 IV packet received and signed for

4/16/2010 AOS packet mailed

4/19/2010 AOS packet received and signed for

4/20/2010 AVR changed and states biographic documents received on 4/17/2010

4/24/2010 AVR notes AOS entered into system on 4/23/2010

4/28/2010 Sign-in fail and NVC operator confirms case complete

5/01/2010 Interview assigned!

6/16/2010 Medical Exam

6/29/2010 Interview Approved!

7/7/2010 Visa in hand!

7/22/2010 POE

ROC

5/15/2012 Mailed in I-751

5/16/2012 Received

6/5/2012 Check cashed

6/6/2012 NOA1 received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

msheesha - it took me a long time to find something that he found interesting enough to read. What I found he liked were books by Moroccan authors. He's read two books by Leila Lalami (The Secret Son and Hope and Other Dangerous Pursuits), The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles (that one took a little more effort to get into). Right now he's reading A Life Full of Holes: A Novel Recorded and Translated by Paul Bowles by Driss ben Hamed Charhadi. Although they are in English I think he can relate to the places, some of the language and stories so it's easier to grasp.

My husband LOVES Paul Bowles! He recently picked up The Boy who Set the Fire. (That may not be the exact title, but it's close.)

6/27/2009 Married

10/20/2009 I-130 sent

10/28/2009 NOA1

2/8/2010 NOA2

2/12/2010 NVC received and case number assigned

2/19/2010 Gave NVC email addresses

2/19/2010 AOS/DS3032 generated (not related to giving the emails)

2/21/2010 Emailed DS3032

2/22/2010 Received DS3032 and AOS bill via email

2/23/2010 Paid AOS bill

2/25/2010 AOS bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

3/2/2010 Received IV bill

4/9/2010 Paid IV bill

4/12/2010 IV bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

4/13/2010 Mailed IV packet

4/15/2010 IV packet received and signed for

4/16/2010 AOS packet mailed

4/19/2010 AOS packet received and signed for

4/20/2010 AVR changed and states biographic documents received on 4/17/2010

4/24/2010 AVR notes AOS entered into system on 4/23/2010

4/28/2010 Sign-in fail and NVC operator confirms case complete

5/01/2010 Interview assigned!

6/16/2010 Medical Exam

6/29/2010 Interview Approved!

7/7/2010 Visa in hand!

7/22/2010 POE

ROC

5/15/2012 Mailed in I-751

5/16/2012 Received

6/5/2012 Check cashed

6/6/2012 NOA1 received

I was in the same boat as your husband, I speak Fluently French and Italian, but I cannot write a sentence in Arabic. Yeah I'm Moroccan, but Arabic was never the language we spoke at home. English was pretty hard for me to pronounce, what I did was taking ESL classes as well I start volunteering in my community in order to interact with people and make new local friends.

I improved my writing by opening a blog online, so I forced myself to write and interact everyday with my followers about subjects I find interesting :).

07/07 Received a 5 years F-1 Visa in Casablanca Embassy

06/21/08 I got married to my lovely wife

10/07/08 AoS mailed!!!

12/07/08 AoS Received in Chicago Office

10/16/08 Received NOA and the money order got cashed

11/06/08 Biometrics Appointement

11/06/08 Biometrics Done

02/05/2009 Received interview letter

20/12/2008 EAD & AP approved

24/12/2008 EAD approved again( :oO)

02/25/2009 GC Approved

03/02/2009 GC received

01/05/2011 I-751 Mailed.

01/10/2011 Check got Cashed.

03/08/2011 Hell Ya I got approved ( Thanks to WM Tom Langford)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi All,

Thanks

My present husband learned a lot about conversational english just from watching American movies with Arabic subtitles over the years. My ex husband, who is from Nepal, had a very thick accent, and we worked on it together by doing repetitive tongue twisters together. After several months of practicing, his accent improved greatly and it was a lot of fun doing them together :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I actually taught a semester of conversational English while I was in Egypt :yes:. I used videos, songs and various interactive games with my class. I didn't lose a single student and the reports I got from people outside of the class were that my students really enjoyed the class and felt it was helping them. Obviously, the best way of improving is repetition, growing into and becoming confident in one's language skills...in short it takes time and determination. Even those of us who have spoken English our entire lives occasionally will over some words or grammar here and there. Try to keep it fun because otherwise it can become so frustrating. My husband is fluent, just occasionally getting hung up with the "b" and "p" or meanings of our slang, he watched tons of movies,TV shows and youtube videos in addition to really listening to music lyrics. He is someone that has to know exactly how to properly pronounce something and will repeat it, write it and keep it to memory and also has to know what every word and phrase he comes across means. Another thing you could do is to get together periodically with friends and have a sort of "game night" there are so many really fun adult games out now that use language and creativity as their basis....so much more than the old days of Scrabble, Pictionary or Charades.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.