Lady Titti

Consequences of Credit Card Default on H1B visa application

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Folks,

With this post, I hope to get some sound judgement with regards to my H-1B petition in relation to my presumably defaulted US credit card.

First, let me provide you with some background information. I am currently a Germany citizen (since 2010) and have once entered the US nuder J-1 visa between 2002 - 2003.

While I was in the US, I was approached by a guy (a sales man) who was touting credit cards on University campus. He presented me with an application form which I truthfully filled, signed and handed back to him. he then proceeded to check an item that I left unchecked -implying that I am a US resident- telling me that the application will be rejected otherwise. A few weeks later I duely received the credit card (Chase Platinum Mastercard with around 15% APR if memory serves me right). It was all good and after I left the US I continued paying towards the card's negative balance, in small amounts larger than the minimum required. However, this became unsustainable for me as a student as my credit line remained more or less the same ( btw. 600 - 1400 US$ if memory serves me right) and I was spening money repaying the credit card for effectively "nothing".

So I gave up on the card and stopped paying -last time I logged in at chase.com was in 2005/6 if memory serves me right- and presume that the card defaulted. However, to this date I have not received any notice or whatsoever from anybody with regards to the card.

I have found a business opportunity in the US and my (hopefully) future employer has submitted a H-1B petition for me.

My questions thus are;

1. Will USCIS have visibility into my presumably defaulted credit card case?

2. If 1. is true, will it impact my H1-B petition and if so how?

3. Are there any precautionary actions you would recommend I should take at this point?

I have a clean (criminal and credit) record in Germany, and from my previous passport -in fact, from any where in the world I've been to I beleive. Also, I have done nothing wrong while in the US (in retrospect, except maybe not withdrawing my credit card application after the sales guy lied on it).

Look forward to your comments.

Thanks

PS: I do not remember neither my chase credit card number nor my SSN number. As an aside, I had a Bank of America checkings account which I learned yesterday (called them and identified myself via my visa debit card which should have expired later this year) got closed April last year due to inactivity and overdraft (-26 $). My usage of the account as on and off -especially in relation to paypal transactions, and I didn't close it because I thought I might need it someday. I was told yesterday that it had accrued maintenance fees each month there was no funds deposited. I was also told that I should open a new account should I (hopefully) return to the US, and assured that no information regarding the circumstances of my account's closure was shared with third parties -thus I should not worry it would be an issue at immigrations.

Edited by Lady Titti

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I don't think it will affect your visa, but once in the USA, your creditor may persue you for the money and interest etc.

USCIS will have a record of your SSN and will give you the same one again.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Your visa is probably unaffected but by now the card has been passed off to collections and those people will call you every day to try to get you to pay off the card . It has also been reported to the credit companies so you will have a hard time getting your next credit card. Some employers also look into your credit rating and a default will affect your employability

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.