15 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

Hi I'm new here and I'm hoping someone here could help me.

We filed all the paperwork for my husband's AOS, he done the biometrics and now we're just waiting.

We had been told by friends and a travel agent that he may travel within the US with his foreign passport as his id. I was wondering if anyone had done this and how it went. We booked a flight for a family function because of the advice of the travel agent, but checking the airlines website they just say government-issued ID. I just want to make sure we get on that flight. Any response would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your help.

E.

6/23/06 - Sent AOS & EAD

7/03/06 - NOA on both

7/28/06 - Biometrics appointment

9/15/06 - EAD approved

9/21/06 - EAD received

11/15/06 - Interview - Approved pending name check

2/22/07 - Called USCIS - still in the processing times, have to wait till processing dates read after

8/3/06 to call back

3/16/06 - Called USCIS again - should receive something in the mail within 45 days answering

my "What's taking so long" question

3/22/07 - Received letter from USCIS stating that they are waiting for the name check to clear -

Wish they would send us some actual usefull information

4/06/07 - Infopass Appt. - Told that name check had cleared about a week ago but have to wait till

May 15 till we could go up to speak to an immigration officer

4/27/07 - AOS Touched

4/28/07 - EAD Touched

4/30/07 - Email saying Welcome Letter sent 4/27/07 FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

5/02/07 - Email saying Card Production ordered

5/04/07 - Welcome Letter received

5/04/07 - Email saying Approval Notice Sent

5/10/07 - Greencard received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Correct! travel within the US is free and unrestricted, even the domestic airlines will accept the passport as ID. If you wish to travel to Canada then advance parole will be needed to leave and re-enter the states but I read that the advance parole is needed on K1 visa if you used K3 it may not be needed to leave US and re-enter.

Have a great vacation!

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Thanks for the QUICK replies!!!! My fear of the government-issued ID was that they wanted a US government-issued ID. Thanks now I just have to worry about which of my makeup's I could take on board with me!! :dance:

6/23/06 - Sent AOS & EAD

7/03/06 - NOA on both

9/15/06 - EAD approved

9/21/06 - EAD received

2/22/07 - Called USCIS - still in the processing times, have to wait till processing dates read after

8/3/06 to call back

3/16/06 - Called USCIS again - should receive something in the mail within 45 days answering

3/22/07 - Received letter from USCIS stating that they are waiting for the name check to clear -

4/06/07 - Infopass Appt. - Told that name check had cleared about a week ago but have to wait till

4/27/07 - AOS Touched

4/28/07 - EAD Touched

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
Thanks for the QUICK replies!!!! My fear of the government-issued ID was that they wanted a US government-issued ID. Thanks now I just have to worry about which of my makeup's I could take on board with me!! :dance:

Another idea..

If you have your EAD card, you can file for a social security number and get a state issued ID (non-driver's license) that way. You can fly domestic on a state government issued ID - don't necessarily need a U.S. government issued ID. As far as I know, there are very few U.S. government issued IDs other than passports and military IDs.

9/2/06 - Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765, and I-131 to Chicago lockbox (via USPS Express Mail)

9/11/06 - ND for I-485, I-765 and I-131

9/13/06 - Checks cashed

9/14/06 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765 and I-131

DISCLAIMER: I am an attorney, although *NOT* an immigration law attorney. Any statement I make is merely layperson's opinion that I have attained through my personal experience with immigration proceedings. My statements do not reflect legal advice, opinion, or conclusion, and they do not form an attorney-client relationship.

Timeline

I wish he had his SSN and EAD. We're still waiting on that. He went for the biometrics July 28 and here it is a month later and nothing yet. He really wants to get a job and help with the bills and not have to wait for me to get home and drive him somewhere.

6/23/06 - Sent AOS & EAD

7/03/06 - NOA on both

9/15/06 - EAD approved

9/21/06 - EAD received

8/3/06 to call back

4/27/07 - AOS Touched

4/28/07 - EAD Touched

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

My wife traveled to Florida and then New York and Florida again using her Colombian Passport. The first trip was withoput a green card the other two even with the green card as the tickets were in her maiden name. No problems using your passport as ID. I don't think the state ID is helpful as they restrict its validity to how long your K1 or EAD or green card is valid - this makes it a ripoff to pay for a 5 year card but only be able to use it for a few months. We tried in the beginning (just to get into the AOS interview as the govt. issued id is listed on the interview letter, but didn't have a problem using the passport - no one looked at the marriage certificate to check the name!) Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

moto, I guess it depends where you live. In PA in the cost of a drivers license is $15.50. I don't consider too badly ripped off even though my current DL is only valid for 1 year, instead of the usual 4, mainly because $15 is peanuts.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
moto, I guess it depends where you live. In PA in the cost of a drivers license is $15.50. I don't consider too badly ripped off even though my current DL is only valid for 1 year, instead of the usual 4, mainly because $15 is peanuts.

A point that I didn't raise earlier is that you'll be in situations when it's not always a great idea to use your passport as ID - if you lose it you're in a huge mess. You're also announcing to anyone who sees it that you're not a US citizen, and perhaps it's just my paranoia, but that has it's risks.

State issued ID is much lower risk and you can use it for all ID purposes, except for international travel.

9/2/06 - Mailed I-130, I-485, I-765, and I-131 to Chicago lockbox (via USPS Express Mail)

9/11/06 - ND for I-485, I-765 and I-131

9/13/06 - Checks cashed

9/14/06 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765 and I-131

DISCLAIMER: I am an attorney, although *NOT* an immigration law attorney. Any statement I make is merely layperson's opinion that I have attained through my personal experience with immigration proceedings. My statements do not reflect legal advice, opinion, or conclusion, and they do not form an attorney-client relationship.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Hi I'm new here and I'm hoping someone here could help me.

We filed all the paperwork for my husband's AOS, he done the biometrics and now we're just waiting.

We had been told by friends and a travel agent that he may travel within the US with his foreign passport as his id. I was wondering if anyone had done this and how it went. We booked a flight for a family function because of the advice of the travel agent, but checking the airlines website they just say government-issued ID. I just want to make sure we get on that flight. Any response would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your help.

E.

You should be fine but make sure to carry any receipts yuo have from CIS proving you have a case pending incase there is any problem during the flight. If something like tahe happens they will check all the passengers and will check for a persons immigration status incase of just passport from another country. Don't worry you should be ok just keep some docs to prove you have a case pending. Good Luck

The likelihood of this happening is slim to say the least. I've travelled in the USA constantly for the last 8 years, including to Hawai'i about 8 times, and have never once been asked for anything other than a driving license or passport in that time.

Still it can't hurt to have all your documentation if you're paranoid about it!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

When we went to Florida for our honeymoon a few weeks back all I used for ID at the airport was my Canadian Drivers License and had absolutely no problems ...

K-1 VISA
08-05-06 - Married in Sycamore IL

AOS / EAD
08-24-06 - AOS/EAD mail to Chicago (Day 1)

11-06-06 - GC & Welcome Letter arrive in Mail (Day 75)

I-751
09-23-08 - Sent Package via USPS (Day 1)
01-02-09 - Received GC in mail (with wrong Resident Since date) (Day 101)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.