^_^

With Muslim Brotherhood Set to Join Egypt Protests, Religion’s Role May Grow

94 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Big Sigh!!!

Ok, first, stop it with the nit-picking and bickering. Lacing comments with personal attacks or put-downs adds nothing to the discussion, and derails the thread - which leads me to my second point - stop derailing the thread! The issue is about the political situation playing out in Egypt - a power struggle on the world stage that affects some members of this community right now and may affect many more of us depending on how it resolves or develops. Regardless, you don't need to mirror that power struggle here on VJ - so please, return to the topic and stop the bickering. (And yes, I would like to be doing other things on my Saturday night than moderating this thread :yes: )..

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Sweetness or not, but things would most definitely be better, if people

were educated enough to reject religion.

I don't see how, that's like suggesting that all the bad people in the world are religious which is preposterous. The nature of people does not change no matter what the predominant belief system is, that's the fundamental truth.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

Sweetness or not, but things would most definitely be better, if people

were educated enough to reject religion.

Communists are irreligious and they've caused a lot of problems in the world. The absence of religion doesn't eliminate ego and selfishness; it encourages it.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't see how, that's like suggesting that all the bad people in the world are religious which is preposterous. The nature of people does not change no matter what the predominant belief system is, that's the fundamental truth.

People would no longer kill each other because they disagree on the

succession of Mohammed and whether it should have gone to the heirs

of the fourth caliph versus the first three - something that I'm

sure was very important back in 632.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

Communists are irreligious and they've caused a lot of problems in the world. The absence of religion doesn't eliminate ego and selfishness; it encourages it.

Did people in the USSR kill each other over silly religious matters?

The absence of religion eliminates one reason for people to kill each other: religion.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

People would no longer kill each other because they disagree on the

succession of Mohammed and whether it should have gone to the heirs

of the fourth caliph versus the first three - something that I'm

sure was very important back in 632.

The reality is, people do not do so now. Conflict is typically over ownership of land in the tangible world, not theistic arguments.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

Did people in the USSR kill each other over silly religious matters?

The absence of religion eliminates one reason for people to kill each other: religion.

They killed each other and non-Communists for other reasons. Why so bitter toward the religious? Religious people here aren't slamming the irreligious every chance we get.

Timeline

The reality is, people do not do so now. Conflict is typically over ownership of land in the tangible world, not theistic arguments.

You should read up on the Sunni-Shi'ite conflict before posting.

Timeline

You should read up on the Sunni-Shi'ite conflict before posting.

Also, read up on the war between the North and South, WWII, the siege at the Alamo, Pol Pot, and riot deaths at soccer games. None had much to do with religion, but lots of people still died. Non-believers can be very aggressive.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Also, read up on the war between the North and South, WWII, the siege at the Alamo, Pol Pot, and riot deaths at soccer games. None had much to do with religion, but lots of people still died. Non-believers can be very aggressive.

But shouldn't Allah be watching over us? Why do these horrible events happen if He is all-powerful and all-kind?

We can point to religious wars that, when the number of deaths are added up, are 10X greater than your examples...

And, being religious, you can't point to your examples because it is making a mockery of your religion because God is supposed to be all-powerful and all-kind / loving...How can He be Commander and Chief while millions of people are slaughtered? And on top of that, send over half of the innocent victims of war to HELL FOR ETERNITY???!!!

Edited by Lord Infamous

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

But shouldn't Allah be watching over us? Why do these horrible events happen if He is all-powerful and all-kind?

We can point to religious wars that, when the number of deaths are added up, are 10X greater than your examples...

And, being religious, you can't point to your examples because it is making a mockery of your religion because God is supposed to be all-powerful and all-kind / loving...How can He be Commander and Chief while millions of people are slaughtered? And on top of that, send over half of the innocent victims of war to HELL FOR ETERNITY???!!!

My examples are by no means all inclusive.

Why do you think people should be able to sit on their lazy azzes and let God do everything to create good in the world? Is that what atheism is all about for you? I suppose if what I believed about God is that He is unjust and that when we die all we do is become worm food, I'd be bitter and cynical, too. Instead, I believe that my role is to do my best to represent God's love on earth, as His prophets did. That makes me responsible for helping to make the world a better place rather than sitting back and complaining about God and those who worship Him.