^_^

With Muslim Brotherhood Set to Join Egypt Protests, Religion’s Role May Grow

94 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Saying that any imam can issue a fatwa that becomes Islamic doctrine is the statement I took to task. Perhaps the Pope, as the head of the Catholic Church can do that, but, for certain, no single imam can do change the tenets of Islam with a fatwa.

Few imams have the authority to issue fatawa, for one thing. A fatwa is a legal opinion regarding religious practice issued by someone who has earned a recognized level of certification (ijaza) to participate in the shaping of Islamic jurisprudence in a particular area of law and, usually, for a particular school of law that affects a portion of the Muslim community that follows edicts from that school. Fatawa tend to address regional problems, or issues specific to cases that come before jurists. They are subject to discernment, challenge, debate and may be overturned. Very few legitimate fatawa are addressed to all Muslims.

Irresponsible news sources will report that someone, Osama bin Laden, for example, issued a fatwa, and people who have no clue get all upset about if Muslims will do as he says. Most Muslims yawn and go on with their day because (1) bin Laden has no authority to issue fatawa, (2) even if he did have that authority, we can choose to ignore him anyway because (3) unless the issuer has the force of law to enforce his law, no one is bound by it.

This a very simplistic explanation, but I hope it is helpful to you. I appreciate you asking.

Thanks. I did use the word "followers", not to include all of Islam, just the ones that follow a particular leader, religious, or secular. I am aware the Islam is not monolithic, though we do tend to paint all religions with broad brushes.

Edited by Some Old Guy

Don't you think the moderator's have better things to do with a Saturday than explain the meaning of ignorance?

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

"Religion’s Role May Grow" and then their economy, part of what they are protesting over, will hit rock bottom and then the world food program (whatever it is called) will have to start feeding them.

Reported.

:thumbs:

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

Filed: Timeline

"Religion’s Role May Grow" and then their economy, part of what they are protesting over, will hit rock bottom and then the world food program (whatever it is called) will have to start feeding them.

If Egypt goes Islamist, I truly hope every penny of aid we give them stops immediately. If they're hungry, they can revolution one more time and get it right.

Really, Some Old Guy, are you so sensitive that the use of the words "stupid", "ignorant", and "ignorance" warrant a Report?

If you are, you should not be playing in this Forum.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Is there a penalty for those who blatently misuse the 'report' button? Better yet, for those who advertise its misuse?

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Is there a penalty for those who blatently misuse the 'report' button? Better yet, for those who advertise its misuse?

Is there a penalty for the people who give them "Plus Ones"?

Is there a penalty for the people who give them "Plus Ones"?

Personal insults trump odious views every time. For example, if someone opines in a post that homosexuality is an abomination and those who are orientated that way are unnatural, poncy nancy boys who have deliberately chosen a flamboyant and repugnant lifestyle and are hellbent on polluting the rest of society with their evil agenda of turning everyone into homosexuals, but do so without calling another member a 'name' then that's a perfectly acceptable post. If someone points out that such a view is a product of ignorance and bigotry that person is accused of name calling and slapped on the wrist. It's quite brilliant :thumbs:

Keep feeding the hens. Let's see how many show up. :lol:

Reported.