Carlos' Wife

2009 Tax Return-married but may file single? Please help!

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Filing Married separate is fine you just need to file married if your married.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Another recent post by someone else said they filed single even tho they were married and now they are having problems with USCIS and likely will have problems with IRS.

Perhaps you should advise the people on this thread as well as they refused to listen to me......

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/292388-how-should-i-file-my-2010-income-tax/page__p__4428577__fromsearch__1#entry4428577

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

If your spouse is coming on an IR1 visa then just file for an extension if he/she does not arrive by the tax date. They will get a SSN number shortly after they arrive.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

You can't file single though since you're married, it'd be a bad idea IMO. I know it's gonna require more work by doing taxes by hand, but you really don't have a choice. My husband (the USC) has to do the same thing this year. He's always done them online, but this year he can't since he got married during the 2010 tax year and I don't have an SSN or ITIN. If you file 'married filing seperately', you don't need an ITIN/W7 form, you can just write in 'NR' or 'NRA' in the SSN field. I discussed this with the IRS yesterday on the phone.

so for those who got married and filed i-130, when they file (for example me) tax return for 2010. Are they gonna file married jointly or separate? I would say jointly because my wife doesn't earn money in US? Does anyone know whether it is married and filing jointly or married and filing separately?

Thanks.

so for those who got married and filed i-130, when they file (for example me) tax return for 2010. Are they gonna file married jointly or separate? I would say jointly because my wife doesn't earn money in US? Does anyone know whether it is married and filing jointly or married and filing separately?

Thanks.

You're able to do either one. It doesn't matter. You'd get a bigger refund when filing jointly though, but there's more forms to fill out and such.

• 11 months later...

I am married and we are currently waiting for our case to be closed at the national visa center. I always file my taxes online with turbo tax...however, it looks like in order to file online with turbo tax (even for "married filing separately) I need to put in a social security number or tax i.d. number for my husband (who does not reside in the united states).

I called the IRS and they said I had to include the W-7 form with my taxes filled out (by hand) in order to receive a tax i.d. number for my husband. I am not planning to claim his income on my taxes.

I was wondering if I should just FILE SINGLE for my taxes due this year????? Would this cause any problems in the future for us????

Please help.

Thank you!

... Thank you for asking this! I just finished doing my taxes with Turbo Tax and had plans to mail the forms in this week. I did the same thing (filing as single). Seems like the overwhelming response is Don't Do This! Guess i gotta go back and do it all over again... :wacko:

• 1 year later...
Timeline

You can't file single though since you're married, it'd be a bad idea IMO. I know it's gonna require more work by doing taxes by hand, but you really don't have a choice. My husband (the USC) has to do the same thing this year. He's always done them online, but this year he can't since he got married during the 2010 tax year and I don't have an SSN or ITIN. If you file 'married filing seperately', you don't need an ITIN/W7 form, you can just write in 'NR' or 'NRA' in the SSN field. I discussed this with the IRS yesterday on the phone.

Hi Saylin,

I am in the same situation with you and I am so stressed about it. I don't have any SSN or ITIN. Could you fill out married filed separately ? And the IRS accept that ?

I am too stressed and don't know what to do.

Thank you very much

Timeline

I am married to a USC last june 15, 2010 but he filed "single" for his 2010 tax? Can we ammend it? What do we need to submit? Thank you for your help

Could you amend that ? Did you apply AOS ?

Hi Saylin,

I am in the same situation with you and I am so stressed about it. I don't have any SSN or ITIN. Could you fill out married filed separately ? And the IRS accept that ?

I am too stressed and don't know what to do.

Thank you very much

If the USC is married, they have two options (possibly a third if they qualify) for filing taxes: married filing separately (MFS) and married filing jointly (MFJ). The easier route is MFS as it requires no extra paperwork from the beneficiary; 'NRA' just needs to be written in the SSN field. The MFJ route will likely give more money out though, but it requires some extra paperwork from the beneficiary, as well as it takes longer. Both methods require the petitioner fill out the tax return by hand though.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Closing thread as the new question has been answered if you have further questions please start a new topic rather then bringing up older threads~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.