one...two...tree

Self Defense

362 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Or it could be interpreted as "this dude is not scared of me so I'm going to wait until someone who is scared of me comes by."

Slim, have you really lived that much of a sheltered life?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

MC is right on avoidance. Try not to get yourself in that position. Be aware of what is going on around you.

If you do get into a situation, look for a way to escape. Run away or talking your way out of it.

If those fail, defend yourself until you can escape or the threat is neutralized.

Pick up and/or use anything that can be a weapon. Don't strike or kick the groin, grab a handful and don't let go.

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

I did run into a women once who wore a medical bracelet that said she had HIV. It was fake of course.

We had a CHL holder who was threatened by someone claiming to have HIV. He drew his weapon and the assailant fled. Allegedly the assailant had a bandage wrapped around his hand and something to the effect of "I'm bleeding and I have HIV, give me all your money or else I'll get blood on you." from about 20 feet away. The CHL holder waited for law enforcement to arrive and they related the same perp had pulled that stunt - with success - twice that week.

HIV is a weapon.

Slim, have you really lived that much of a sheltered life?

I don't live in Camden or anything, so yeah, I guess so.

defend yourself until you can escape

grab a handful and don't let go.

How can you do both of those things?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Just curious what people here do for self defense? Specifically, what you do to protect yourself (and family) when you are out and about, not just at home?

I have a variety of handguns for various wardrobe options. Most often a Kimber Ultra CDP .45

I also often use a Colt M1903 .32 ACP hammerless Autoloader and a S&W M640 Centennial hammerless revolver, .38 special. For more formal occasions a S&W M19, RB, 2.5" barrel .357, blued (of course) engraved and ivory grips. Goes well with a tuxedo. Occasionally I take my Dad's old warhorse M1911 (NOT 1911A1) .45 for a walk, especially when I can cover it with heavy clothes. I never use ankle holsters or shoulder holsters, always use a hip holster OR just drop a hammerless revolver or autoloader in a pocket. Whatever gun I carry that day sleeps next to me on the nightstand.

There is a whole slew of others that occasionally get carried for variety. Anything from an American Derringer 2 shot .38 to a S&W "Mountain Gun" .44 magnum.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

I have a variety of handguns for various wardrobe options. Most often a Kimber Ultra CDP .45

I also often use a Colt M1903 .32 ACP hammerless Autoloader and a S&W M640 Centennial hammerless revolver, .38 special. For more formal occasions a S&W M19, RB, 2.5" barrel .357, blued (of course) engraved and ivory grips. Goes well with a tuxedo. Occasionally I take my Dad's old warhorse M1911 (NOT 1911A1) .45 for a walk, especially when I can cover it with heavy clothes. I never use ankle holsters or shoulder holsters, always use a hip holster OR just drop a hammerless revolver or autoloader in a pocket. Whatever gun I carry that day sleeps next to me on the nightstand.

There is a whole slew of others that occasionally get carried for variety. Anything from an American Derringer 2 shot .38 to a S&W "Mountain Gun" .44 magnum.

You just made Steven's day.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

How can you do both of those things?

You can always keep them as a trophy.

CR-1 Visa

I-130 Sent : 2006-08-30

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-09-12

I-130 Approved : 2007-01-17

NVC Received : 2007-02-05

Consulate Received : 2007-06-09

Interview Date : 2007-08-16 Case sent back to USCIS

NOA case received by CSC: 2007-12-19

Receive NOIR: 2009-05-04

Sent Rebuttal: 2009-05-19

NOA rebuttal entered: 2009-06-05

Case sent back to NVC for processing: 2009-08-27

Consulate sends DS-230: 2009-11-23

Interview: 2010-02-05 result Green sheet for updated I864 and photos submit 2010-03-05

APPROVED visa pick up 2010-03-12

POE: 2010-04-20 =)

GC received: 2010-05-05

Processing

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 140 days.

Timeline

MC is right on avoidance. Try not to get yourself in that position. Be aware of what is going on around you.

If you do get into a situation, look for a way to escape. Run away or talking your way out of it.

If those fail, defend yourself until you can escape or the threat is neutralized.

Pick up and/or use anything that can be a weapon. Don't strike or kick the groin, grab a handful and don't let go.

I do all that, except the last, and when all else fails I shoot to kill. To that end I usually carry a very powerful handgun loaded with bullets specifically designed to maximize damage. I have no desire to have physical contact with someone that wants to hurt me, I would prefer to kill them at a safe distance.

Killing someone would be the 2nd to last thing I would ever want to happen.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

I do all that, except the last, and when all else fails I shoot to kill. To that end I usually carry a very powerful handgun loaded with bullets specifically designed to maximize damage. I have no desire to have physical contact with someone that wants to hurt me, I would prefer to kill them at a safe distance.

Killing someone would be the 2nd to last thing I would ever want to happen.

Have you ever in your life had to use one of your weapons? Ever have to pull it out on one of the hommies? Flash it?

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

You just made Steven's day.

That's nothing. You gotta admit it is much more interesting than Alan's pathetic list of pawn shop specials. Those are some classics! I prefer to be armed in style! I have perhaps a dozen more in the little cubbies and drawers of my desk to choose from. But who is counting?

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Have you ever in your life had to use one of your weapons? Ever have to pull it out on one of the hommies? Flash it?

Actually yes. Last year in Vermont of all places. A woman cut off a guy in traffic ahead of me...dumb move I admit. But no harm done actually. When we got to the next red light his car was between mine and hers. He got out of his car with an ice scraper, snatched open her door and dragged her out and proceeded to beat her with the ice scraper! I bailed out, cell phone in one hand and the .45 in the other, shouted "STOP!!!!!!!!" He looked at me, dropped the woman, jumped in his car and drove off. I followed him, with the police now on the cell phone, giving directions to the cops until two police cars caught up to us and stopped the guy. The woman had taken off (I don't blame her) but later called police who told her thay had the suspect. She had taken about 3 whacks from the ice scraper but had only superficial injuries.

I have no question the woman would have been seriously injured by this maniac had I not stopped the @sshole by pointing a large caliber handgun at him. I have no question he may have severely injured me if I had tried to karate chop him or something. I prefer a gun.

I offered to testify to put him away, but he pled guilty and got a reduced sentence for assault. Oddly enough, by stopping him when I did he did not inflict serious inuries and was able to plead it down. Stupid but what can I do? The police were glad I stopped him and also glad I did not "shoot up the place" It wasn't necessary to shoot. Had he passed his car door and walked toward me with an ice scraper I would have shot him in the center of his chest as many times as possible.

Other than that, no I have never had need to. Vermont is a pretty peaceful place since we can all carry guns. It is pretty stupid to assault someone as there is a good chance they have a gun, or someone nearby does. That is why our homicide rate is less than half that of Canada and we are the safest place in the western hemisphere.

I hope you have 404K.

What?

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline
That is why our homicide rate is less than half that of Canada and we are the safest place in the western hemisphere.

Are you seriously comparing an entire country's homicide rate to a State? Okay. Canada's homicide rate in 2009 was 1.8% of population. Vermont's was 1.13% in 2009. I'd say your calcs are off. If you really want to compare apples to apples you'd compare the US's homicide rate, which is 4.96%. Or choose a comparable Province.

iagree.gif