~PalmTreeGurl~

For any new "Egypt" peeps

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1108.html

Here's info on Egypt. Its seems like alot has been updated on that website since I went to Egypt last time.

Here's something posted on that website regarding marriages:

Marriage in Egypt: The Egyptian government allows U.S. citizens to marry in Egypt. For further information, please refer to the website of the U.S. Embassy in Cairo.

Many marriages between Egyptians and U.S. citizens are successful. However, the Embassy warns against marriage fraud on the part of the U.S. citizen or the Egyptian. Entering into a marriage contract for the principal purpose of facilitating immigration to the United States for an alien is against U.S. law and can result in serious penalties, including fines and imprisonment for the U.S. citizen and the Egyptian. At the same time, it is not uncommon for Egyptians to enter into marriages with U.S. citizens solely for immigration purposes. Relationships developed via correspondence, particularly those begun on the Internet, are particularly susceptible to manipulation. The U.S. government urges U.S. citizens who meet Egyptians on the Internet or while touring the country, to take the time necessary to get to know them before considering marriage. Unfortunately, the Embassy sees many cases of abuse against U.S. citizen spouses and often the marriages end in divorce when the Egyptian acquires a green card or citizenship in the United States. These cases invariably occur when the relationship is based mostly on Internet communication and very little face-to-face interaction.

It also takes about safety, laws, dual nationals, adoption, ect...

Just thought I'd pass it along for those who are newer to this.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Timeline

And just another thing to add: Adam and I are going on 5 yrs of marriage and we met online almost 6 yrs ago. We have our ups and downs :help: good times and stressful ones :bonk: , but he's my boo for life! :luv::yes:

I (L) my Egyptian hubby !

Edited by ~PalmTreeGurl~

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

And just another thing to add: Adam and I are going on 5 yrs of marriage and we met online almost 6 yrs ago. We have our ups and downs :help: good times and stressful ones :bonk: , but he's my boo for life! :luv::yes:

GLAD that international bond is till going.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1108.html

Marriage in Egypt: The Egyptian government allows U.S. citizens to marry in Egypt. For further information, please refer to the website of the U.S. Embassy in Cairo.

Just sad.. it happens a lot in the Philippines( as posted on VJ) and Nigeria too... few other countries.

Edited by RICARDO4EVA2

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

GLAD that international bond is till going.

Just sad.. it happens a lot in the Philippines( as posted on VJ) and Nigeria too... few other countries.

Not all women/men in the Philippines bail out in their marriage once they are here in US. I all countries do it also. It is a sad situation but there some successful one also............

Filed: Timeline

Yes Egypt has gotten very serious about the marriages. And when I got married in October they was asking very much how we met and how long we have know each other, and warned us that even if they approved our petition that at any step of our marriage process they can denie us. So yes it is very serious. But that is why for a while they changed the laws for a while and forced marriages through the marriage courts and it took up to 3 months to get married and it seem to work to cut down on the fraud. And just over a year ago they changed it back to getting married through the ministry of justice. And they do not have the fraud warning on there marriage requirements, I had checked Morocco's and they actually have warning on there page about internet meetings and marriage fraud. So I agree anyone that wants to get married in Egypt to make sure that you feel you know them, do not rush into it. Our men are charming, but really get to know them and ask them not so easy questions. And congratulations for being married for 5 years. :thumbs:

http://travel.state....s/cis_1108.html

Here's info on Egypt. Its seems like alot has been updated on that website since I went to Egypt last time.

Here's something posted on that website regarding marriages:

Many marriages between Egyptians and U.S. citizens are successful. However, the Embassy warns against marriage fraud on the part of the U.S. citizen or the Egyptian. Entering into a marriage contract for the principal purpose of facilitating immigration to the United States for an alien is against U.S. law and can result in serious penalties, including fines and imprisonment for the U.S. citizen and the Egyptian. At the same time, it is not uncommon for Egyptians to enter into marriages with U.S. citizens solely for immigration purposes. Relationships developed via correspondence, particularly those begun on the Internet, are particularly susceptible to manipulation. The U.S. government urges U.S. citizens who meet Egyptians on the Internet or while touring the country, to take the time necessary to get to know them before considering marriage. Unfortunately, the Embassy sees many cases of abuse against U.S. citizen spouses and often the marriages end in divorce when the Egyptian acquires a green card or citizenship in the United States. These cases invariably occur when the relationship is based mostly on Internet communication and very little face-to-face interaction.

It also takes about safety, laws, dual nationals, adoption, ect...

Just thought I'd pass it along for those who are newer to this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Wow, that's kind of a weird site, I clicked on "Public Affairs" and then on the "Information Resource Center" and it misspelled Barack Obama's name. "Meet Barak Obama" - way to keep it classy! I almost would have thought it was fake except it's .gov and it's obviously otherwise the genuine deal....I'm surprised they would spell the President's name incorrectly, though. Weird.

Anyway - thanks for posting, I'm sure it will help some new people.

The Moroccan fraud warning has been around for a while... it looks almost the same as the Egyptian one. http://casablanca.usconsulate.gov/marriage_requirements.html I wonder sometimes about the bureaucratic decisions that led to posting the warnings, and if anyone has ever reconsidered a relationship because of them.

Congrats on your marriage's continued success! (L)

Timeline

I noticed it doesnt say that if your married to an Egyptian citizen and your bring your marriage certificate to the airport you can get your visa stamped for free. That was good back in 2007 and wonder if its still good now?

Timeline

http://www.mfa.gov.eg/MFA_Portal/Templates/Generic_Content_Unit.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7b8C766E81-8ECC-4E6D-B7CF-53C76CF0EE66%7d&NRORIGINALURL=%2fMFA_Portal%2fen-GB%2fServices%2fRules%2band%2bRegulations%2f&NRCACHEHINT=Guest#Visas

Never mind, I found it on this website:

Exemptions from Visa Fees

Egyptian visa fees do not apply to the following:

Holders of diplomatic passports.

Officials of international organizations and specialized agencies and state delegates to conferences.

Arab League officials.

Non-national spouses of Egyptian nationals.

Non-national members of the clergy, prominent scientists, journalists and members of official cultural, educational and sports delegations.

Non-national students studying in Egyptian institutions.

Non-diplomatic personnel of diplomatic and consular missions affected in Egypt.

Parents, siblings and adult children of members of the diplomatic and consular corps affected in Egypt.

Nationals of Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Norway, Russia and the United States are partially exempt from Egyptian visa fees and will, therefore, pay a reduced fee.

II) Residence in Egypt for Foreign Nationals

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Not all women/men in the Philippines bail out in their marriage once they are here in US. I all countries do it also. It is a sad situation but there some successful one also............

Who says it doesnt happen in the Philippines..? Do you read the post that our members leave on here..? 8 of 10 are related to the Philippines.

"Relationship fraud is a persistent problem in the Philippines. Relationships developed via correspondence, particularly those begun on the Internet, are particularly susceptible to manipulation."

the above "quote" isn't made up.. it's from the Department of State feel free to review the link below.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_999.html

It might happen in many countries BUT they focus on the problematic areas.. that engage in business marriages. so eg. if you have 50 in Canada, 100 in Jamaica or 500 in Egypt & the Philippines then Egypt & Philippines will be their focus.. and so they make a public announcemnt on their website to watch out for these things.

Current cut off date F2A - Current 

Brother's Journey (F2A) - PD Dec 30, 2010

Dec 30 2010 - Notice of Action 1 (NOA1)
May 12 2011 - Notice of Action 2 (NOA2)
May 23 2011 - NVC case # Assigned
Nov 17 2011 - COA / I-864 received
Nov 18 2011 - Sent COA
Apr 30 2012 - Pay AOS fee

Oct 15 2012 - Pay IV fee
Oct 25 2012 - Sent AOS/IV Package

Oct 29 2012 - Pkg Delivered
Dec 24 2012 - Case Complete

May 17 2013 - Interview-Approved

July 19 2013 - Enter the USA

"... Answer when you are called..."

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

congratulations! i hope i have the same luck/ I have heard so many negatives about marrying an Egyptian man about how hard the process will be. He is 22 and I am 38 from the US. We have been in an online relationship for 3 years and plan on marrying in Egypt in July. I hope we have a fighting chance to have a happy life together forever.

Timeline

congratulations! i hope i have the same luck/ I have heard so many negatives about marrying an Egyptian man about how hard the process will be. He is 22 and I am 38 from the US. We have been in an online relationship for 3 years and plan on marrying in Egypt in July. I hope we have a fighting chance to have a happy life together forever.

We have to be positive in this issues...Hopefully we all have the chance to be with our loved ones..

Timeline

Who says it doesnt happen in the Philippines..? Do you read the post that our members leave on here..? 8 of 10 are related to the Philippines.

the above "quote" isn't made up.. it's from the Department of State feel free to review the link below.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_999.html

It might happen in many countries BUT they focus on the problematic areas.. that engage in business marriages. so eg. if you have 50 in Canada, 100 in Jamaica or 500 in Egypt & the Philippines then Egypt & Philippines will be their focus.. and so they make a public announcemnt on their website to watch out for these things.

I did not say it does not happen in the Philippines nor Egypt....READ....I apologized that this bothers you....u do not have to be negative about what othes does when they come to US and use those men/women. I do read those members that posted their experience of what happened to them. BE NICE........

Timeline

Found this site of what needed to get married in Egypt....Goodluck...

Consular main page

American Citizen Services

In Case of Emergency

Travel & Public Announcements

Schedule an Appointment

Register with the Embassy

Absentee Voting

Passports

Passport Application Status

Reports of Birth Abroad

U.S. Customs

Notarial Services

Federal Income Tax

List of Medical facilities & Physicians

List of Attorneys

List of Translators

Arrest - Legal Procedures

Federal Benefits

ACS in Maadi

ACS in Alexandria

Child Citizenship Act

Non-Immigrant Visas

Immigrant Visas

Sudan Consular Services

MARRIAGE IN EGYPT

النص العربي

- TRAVELER INFO. -

• Embassy Holidays

• Country Specific Info.

• Register with the Embassy

• Marriage in Egypt

• Travel & Public Announcements

• Government forms

• Avian Flu Info.

• Contact us

(AS OF JULY 1, 2009)

The only legal marriage for foreigners in Egypt is a civil ceremony performed at the local marriage court, which is in accordance with Islamic practice. Persons wishing a religious ceremony may arrange for one separately, but it is the civil ceremony that establishes the legal marriage.

Americans wishing to marry in Egypt must take the following steps in order to marry:

Step 1: Visit the American Citizen Services, U.S. Embassy

Address: 5, Tawfik Diab Street (formerly Latin America Street), Garden City, Cairo.

Appointments: http://cairo.usembassy.gov/consularappntmnt.htm

At American Citizen Services, you will sign a marriage affidavit that will be notarized by the U.S. Embassy. This affidavit includes your biographic data and your religion. Interfaith marriages are permitted by Egyptian law except in the case of a Muslim woman and a non-Muslim man. The affidavit also mentions that you are free to marry and that the Embassy has no objection to the marriage. Please bring the following:

Your valid American passport

Proof of termination of your last marriage, if you were married before. An original or certified copy of the last divorce decree or death certificate must be submitted. There is no need to get this document authenticated or translated into Arabic for the purpose of marriage. The authentication and translation by the Egyptian embassy or consulate in the U.S. may be required later for other purposes. Please note that if you are a female American citizen previously married, you may only remarry in Egypt at least 90 days after your divorce or 130 days after the death of your former spouse. If you are pregnant, you can only remarry after the birth of the baby.

It is preferable that you bring your fiancé(e).

The fee is $50.00 or 283.00 LE (cash or credit).

If you are a female of Egyptian origin under the age of 21, you are required to either be accompanied by your father, a guardian, a person in loco parentis, or a written consent from any of the above. The consent should be in English and Arabic. It should be notarized by the Egyptian Embassy or an Egyptian consulate in the U.S. and by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Egypt.

NOTE: If two American citizens are getting married, they each need separate statements.

Step 2: After obtaining the notarized statement from the U.S. Embassy, you must visit one of the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs Authentication Offices.

Addresses: Ahmed Oraby St, Mohandessin, Giza; Ahmed Said Street, Abbassia; or Sabak Street next to the Maryland Gardens in Heliopolis.

Hours: Saturday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will certify the statement for a fee of 11.00LE.

Step 3: After obtaining the certification from the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, you must visit the Egyptian Ministry of Justice.

Address: Egyptian Ministry of Justice Annex (Office of Marriage of Foreigners), 4th floor, Lazoughly Square, Abdin, Cairo. Open Saturday through Wednesday from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.and from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.; Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

The Ministry of Justice will register your marriage. Forms to be completed at the marriage court can only be obtained on the wedding day or the day before. The following are required:

Proof of identity (a passport) for both parties, a photocopy of the passport data page, the Egyptian entry visa and the residency stamp if you obtained one.

Egyptian I.D. (Egyptian passport or the National ID) and a photocopy of it if one of the parties is Egyptian

Five personal photos for each party.

A 50.00LE “Ta’meen Igtimaei” stamp (purchased at any Egyptian post office)

Two male witnesses with identification documents (passport or I.D. card) must be present to sign the marriage documents. It is preferable to bring your own witnesses, such as friends or travel agents.

Original proof of termination of previous marriage if you were married before. No authentication or translation is required.

A routine physical exam performed by an Egyptian doctor is sometimes required if the person appears unhealthy.

It will take at least ten business days for a marriage certificate to be issued by the Ministry of Justice. The marriage certificate must be picked up by one of the parties.

Fees to complete the marriage at the Ministry of Justice:

If both parties are Muslim, the fee is two percent of the dowry (a minimum of 40LE).

If both parties are Christians, a dowry is not required, the fee is 35.00LE.

To use the marriage certificate in the U.S., it should be translated into English by the Egyptian Ministry of Justice Translation Office (the fee is 40.00LE). It takes 4-7 days to receive the translation, which must then be authenticated by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (11.00LE) and authenticated by the American Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo ($50.00). The Ministry of Justice's Translation Office is located at the Ministry of Justice Building, 13th floor, Lazoughly Square, Abdin, Cairo.

Please note: If you do obtain an English marriage certificate from the Egyptian Ministry of Justice Translation office, you DO NOT need to have it authenticated at the American Embassy to use for immigration in the United States.

If you have any questions, please send an email to the US Embassy at consularcairoacs@state.govor call us at (202) 2797-2301.

Americans wishing to apply for immigration visas for their spouses must take the following steps:

If you reside in the United States, please start the petition process by filing a Form I-130, “Petition for Alien Relative.” The I-130 is available on the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) website at www.uscis.gov under “Immigration Forms.” Please note: USCIS processes the Form I-130 as a visa number becomes available. Filing and approval of an I-130 is only the first step in helping a spouse immigrate to the United States. The fee is $355 and you may file online or send in the paper application to the appropriate U.S. address (listed on the website).

If you are a resident of Egypt, you may apply for an immigrant visa for your spouse at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo. You, the petitioner, must have maintained continuous residency in Egypt a minimum of the preceding six months in order to demonstrate residency to the Consular Officer. Please call 0900-70600 to make an appointment for an interview. Feel free to browse our website at http://egypt.usembassy.gov/consular/iv.htm for more information.

Timeline

Yah this is more updated and alot more info on what to do as far as getting married. I wish it would have been that discriptive back then when we did it. Best wishes to those going through the process.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

what that site does not add is if your Egyptian husband is christian he must get a letter from his bishop of permission to marry even in the Ministry of Justice, then go with the man from the church to the police station for a stamp also. Yes there are fees for this also. I got married to my husband there in April and after alot of running around and twice to the Ministry finally we were able to get married. I then spent three months there with my husband and his family before returning to the States.

If you stand for nothing you will stand for anything

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.