~PalmTreeGurl~

For any new "Egypt" peeps

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The one thing it fails to mention is that you have to take ur passport to a certain building and get a tourist resident stamp, before they will marry you. It does not cost a thing. And the hours there at the minastry of justice is wrong, they only marry between the hours of 9a.m. till 2 p.m. when the translator is there. My husband argued with them the 1st day we arrived at 3p.m. and they said they could not marry us till the next morning. And ladies when you get your paper from the embassy pls make sure your men copy the info that they have to write down correct cuz if not that is a trip to the embassy and they have to stamp the mistake and you have to correct it and it takes a act of congress to get back into the embassy without a appoinment. That is another thing make sure you make a appointment or you can waste valuable time.

Found this site of what needed to get married in Egypt....Goodluck...

Consular main page

American Citizen Services

In Case of Emergency

Travel & Public Announcements

Schedule an Appointment

Register with the Embassy

Absentee Voting

Passports

Passport Application Status

Reports of Birth Abroad

U.S. Customs

Notarial Services

Federal Income Tax

List of Medical facilities & Physicians

List of Attorneys

List of Translators

Arrest - Legal Procedures

Federal Benefits

ACS in Maadi

ACS in Alexandria

Child Citizenship Act

Non-Immigrant Visas

Immigrant Visas

Sudan Consular Services

MARRIAGE IN EGYPT

النص العربي

- TRAVELER INFO. -

• Embassy Holidays

• Country Specific Info.

• Register with the Embassy

• Marriage in Egypt

• Travel & Public Announcements

• Government forms

• Avian Flu Info.

• Contact us

(AS OF JULY 1, 2009)

The only legal marriage for foreigners in Egypt is a civil ceremony performed at the local marriage court, which is in accordance with Islamic practice. Persons wishing a religious ceremony may arrange for one separately, but it is the civil ceremony that establishes the legal marriage.

Americans wishing to marry in Egypt must take the following steps in order to marry:

Step 1: Visit the American Citizen Services, U.S. Embassy

Address: 5, Tawfik Diab Street (formerly Latin America Street), Garden City, Cairo.

Appointments: http://cairo.usembas...larappntmnt.htm

At American Citizen Services, you will sign a marriage affidavit that will be notarized by the U.S. Embassy. This affidavit includes your biographic data and your religion. Interfaith marriages are permitted by Egyptian law except in the case of a Muslim woman and a non-Muslim man. The affidavit also mentions that you are free to marry and that the Embassy has no objection to the marriage. Please bring the following:

Your valid American passport

Proof of termination of your last marriage, if you were married before. An original or certified copy of the last divorce decree or death certificate must be submitted. There is no need to get this document authenticated or translated into Arabic for the purpose of marriage. The authentication and translation by the Egyptian embassy or consulate in the U.S. may be required later for other purposes. Please note that if you are a female American citizen previously married, you may only remarry in Egypt at least 90 days after your divorce or 130 days after the death of your former spouse. If you are pregnant, you can only remarry after the birth of the baby.

It is preferable that you bring your fiancé(e).

The fee is $50.00 or 283.00 LE (cash or credit).

If you are a female of Egyptian origin under the age of 21, you are required to either be accompanied by your father, a guardian, a person in loco parentis, or a written consent from any of the above. The consent should be in English and Arabic. It should be notarized by the Egyptian Embassy or an Egyptian consulate in the U.S. and by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Egypt.

NOTE: If two American citizens are getting married, they each need separate statements.

Step 2: After obtaining the notarized statement from the U.S. Embassy, you must visit one of the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs Authentication Offices.

Addresses: Ahmed Oraby St, Mohandessin, Giza; Ahmed Said Street, Abbassia; or Sabak Street next to the Maryland Gardens in Heliopolis.

Hours: Saturday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs will certify the statement for a fee of 11.00LE.

Step 3: After obtaining the certification from the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, you must visit the Egyptian Ministry of Justice.

Address: Egyptian Ministry of Justice Annex (Office of Marriage of Foreigners), 4th floor, Lazoughly Square, Abdin, Cairo. Open Saturday through Wednesday from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.and from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.; Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

The Ministry of Justice will register your marriage. Forms to be completed at the marriage court can only be obtained on the wedding day or the day before. The following are required:

Proof of identity (a passport) for both parties, a photocopy of the passport data page, the Egyptian entry visa and the residency stamp if you obtained one.

Egyptian I.D. (Egyptian passport or the National ID) and a photocopy of it if one of the parties is Egyptian

Five personal photos for each party.

A 50.00LE "Ta'meen Igtimaei" stamp (purchased at any Egyptian post office)

Two male witnesses with identification documents (passport or I.D. card) must be present to sign the marriage documents. It is preferable to bring your own witnesses, such as friends or travel agents.

Original proof of termination of previous marriage if you were married before. No authentication or translation is required.

A routine physical exam performed by an Egyptian doctor is sometimes required if the person appears unhealthy.

It will take at least ten business days for a marriage certificate to be issued by the Ministry of Justice. The marriage certificate must be picked up by one of the parties.

Fees to complete the marriage at the Ministry of Justice:

If both parties are Muslim, the fee is two percent of the dowry (a minimum of 40LE).

If both parties are Christians, a dowry is not required, the fee is 35.00LE.

To use the marriage certificate in the U.S., it should be translated into English by the Egyptian Ministry of Justice Translation Office (the fee is 40.00LE). It takes 4-7 days to receive the translation, which must then be authenticated by the Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (11.00LE) and authenticated by the American Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo ($50.00). The Ministry of Justice's Translation Office is located at the Ministry of Justice Building, 13th floor, Lazoughly Square, Abdin, Cairo.

Please note: If you do obtain an English marriage certificate from the Egyptian Ministry of Justice Translation office, you DO NOT need to have it authenticated at the American Embassy to use for immigration in the United States.

If you have any questions, please send an email to the US Embassy at consularcairoacs@state.govor call us at (202) 2797-2301.

Americans wishing to apply for immigration visas for their spouses must take the following steps:

If you reside in the United States, please start the petition process by filing a Form I-130, "Petition for Alien Relative." The I-130 is available on the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) website at www.uscis.gov under "Immigration Forms." Please note: USCIS processes the Form I-130 as a visa number becomes available. Filing and approval of an I-130 is only the first step in helping a spouse immigrate to the United States. The fee is $355 and you may file online or send in the paper application to the appropriate U.S. address (listed on the website).

If you are a resident of Egypt, you may apply for an immigrant visa for your spouse at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo. You, the petitioner, must have maintained continuous residency in Egypt a minimum of the preceding six months in order to demonstrate residency to the Consular Officer. Please call 0900-70600 to make an appointment for an interview. Feel free to browse our website at http://egypt.usembas...consular/iv.htm for more information.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

My hubby and I also met online almost 3 and a half years ago...chatted everyday for hours... I went for a 10 day visit several months later which just validated what I already felt, a couple months later he proposed and about 4 months after that I returned to Egypt and we got married at the ministry of justice. We had a lot of help from his dad and people he knows as far as knowing where to go, what to expect and in getting the documents filled out and pushed through their system..it's all about stamps :P those of you who have already been there know what I'm talking about, I think they issue stamps for everything- ha ha ha..Anyway it all went very smoothly, I arrived on Dec 28th and we were married on December 31, 2008. You should have no trouble as long as they feel and sense your genuine sincerity, I am 11 years older than my husband and it has never once been an issue or even mentioned.

I stayed there with him for 3 months following our marriage, then returned to the States for a little while because he had begun his service obligation. After a few months though, i couldn't take it any longer so I returned to Egypt and lived there from August 09-August 10. The only reason I returned to the States then is to begin this process and get things in order for us here where we want to make our permanent home. We talk for hours still every single day either on the phone or online through chat or skype. I am planning on going for a visit the first week of March....can't wait!!!! Hope to take good news of our I-130 approval with me(certainly hope to have it before that actually). There is not a day that goes by that I don't think or wish I could just hop on a plane and just go back and wait the whole thing out with him, but after lots of research and discussion we both thought that my being here and filing gave us a better chance than staying there and going DCF route.

I love coming here and reading everyone's stories and experiences, although we've never met I feel you are my friends as we share this common bond.

I also have a comment about Wendy's visa stamp info for us spouses going to visit our Egyptian spouses...I wish it were as simple and easy as just showing our marriage certificate and boom we get the stamp :D At least the entry visa process there is not too bad, I've never had any kind of issues with it and I've been 4 times in the last 3 years. I do have a related question though....I have a one year Egyptian residency visa stamp in my passport, it won't expire until June of this year. When I go for my visit in March, can I enter using that or will I have to obtain a new entry visa since I have been outside of the country for 7-8 months by that time? I think I will need the new entry visa but just wondering if any of you know for sure from experience.

Filed: Timeline

I bet living in egypt was great. I could do it in a heart beat, but got my children. But how will living in egypt effect your income taxes needed for the visa process, or do you have a co-sponser???

My hubby and I also met online almost 3 and a half years ago...chatted everyday for hours... I went for a 10 day visit several months later which just validated what I already felt, a couple months later he proposed and about 4 months after that I returned to Egypt and we got married at the ministry of justice. We had a lot of help from his dad and people he knows as far as knowing where to go, what to expect and in getting the documents filled out and pushed through their system..it's all about stamps :P those of you who have already been there know what I'm talking about, I think they issue stamps for everything- ha ha ha..Anyway it all went very smoothly, I arrived on Dec 28th and we were married on December 31, 2008. You should have no trouble as long as they feel and sense your genuine sincerity, I am 11 years older than my husband and it has never once been an issue or even mentioned.

I stayed there with him for 3 months following our marriage, then returned to the States for a little while because he had begun his service obligation. After a few months though, i couldn't take it any longer so I returned to Egypt and lived there from August 09-August 10. The only reason I returned to the States then is to begin this process and get things in order for us here where we want to make our permanent home. We talk for hours still every single day either on the phone or online through chat or skype. I am planning on going for a visit the first week of March....can't wait!!!! Hope to take good news of our I-130 approval with me(certainly hope to have it before that actually). There is not a day that goes by that I don't think or wish I could just hop on a plane and just go back and wait the whole thing out with him, but after lots of research and discussion we both thought that my being here and filing gave us a better chance than staying there and going DCF route.

I love coming here and reading everyone's stories and experiences, although we've never met I feel you are my friends as we share this common bond.

I also have a comment about Wendy's visa stamp info for us spouses going to visit our Egyptian spouses...I wish it were as simple and easy as just showing our marriage certificate and boom we get the stamp :D At least the entry visa process there is not too bad, I've never had any kind of issues with it and I've been 4 times in the last 3 years. I do have a related question though....I have a one year Egyptian residency visa stamp in my passport, it won't expire until June of this year. When I go for my visit in March, can I enter using that or will I have to obtain a new entry visa since I have been outside of the country for 7-8 months by that time? I think I will need the new entry visa but just wondering if any of you know for sure from experience.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I bet living in egypt was great. I could do it in a heart beat, but got my children. But how will living in egypt effect your income taxes needed for the visa process, or do you have a co-sponser???

Yes, we will need a co-sponsor but fortunately my dad has agreed to do it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.