flyingm14

Dual Citizen Question - proof of relationship

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Quick question - wondering if someone can help me. So I met my fiance in India on my last visit and got engaged on the last day I was there. We took at lot of pictures that day too. My question is regarding proof of relationship and am wondering if what I have is enough or not. I am a dual citizen - Canadian and US. However, since my visa was attached to my Canadian passport, I traveled on my Canadian passport. As for the proof of me meeting her in India, I have pictures with date stamp and passport stamp on my Canadian passport. I was also thinking about including my itinerary as one of the proofs. What else should I include as the proof? And in the cover letter, should I explain why I traveled on my Canadian passport and not US?

Any help would be appreciated.

10FEB11: FedEx I129F Packet to Lewisville, TX

14FEB11: NOA1 "Received Date"

18FEB11: Touched

17JUN11: NOA2 hard copy

19JUL11: NVC Received

21JUL11: Embassy Received

25JUL11: Packet 3 Sent from Embassy

03AUG11: Emailed packet 3 to Embassy

07SEP11: Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

That's an interesting one, I would attach a complete copy of Canadian passport, and at least the bio page from US passport, and yes attach a letter explaining the use of Canadian passport for trip abroad.

Itinerary, receipts from overseas like ATM, hotel, restaurant, etc..

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

But is it legal to carry two passports? I got the US passport thinking that I would get my India visa transfered to my US passport but that didn't happen. Indian embassy said I would need to completely reply for Indian visa and I have time since my travel date was approaching so I traveled on my Canadian passport. As for the proof of my US citizenship, I was planning on including the naturalization certificate.

10FEB11: FedEx I129F Packet to Lewisville, TX

14FEB11: NOA1 "Received Date"

18FEB11: Touched

17JUN11: NOA2 hard copy

19JUL11: NVC Received

21JUL11: Embassy Received

25JUL11: Packet 3 Sent from Embassy

03AUG11: Emailed packet 3 to Embassy

07SEP11: Interview

Yes, it is legal to carry two passports. Dual citizenship is legal.

However, the US does not 'recognize' dual citizenship. In the eyes of the US, you are only a US citizen.

You should include pages of that passport as 'proof of having met within last two years', and include your birth certificate or naturalization certificate as 'proof of citizenship.'

Spoiler

07/20/2011-------I-485 and I-765 Sent
07/26/2011-------NOA1 received via email
08/05/2011-------RFE Notification via email and text
08/11/2011-------RFE Hardcopy in mail
08/12/2011-------RFE Sent back
08/15/2011-------RFE Received at USCIS
08/24/2011-------Biometrics Appointment
09/06/2011-------Notice of Interview! (via text)
09/15/2011-------EAD Approved Notification via text
10/06/2011-------Adjustment of Status Interview - APPROVED!!!

11/08/2011-------Green Card Received!!

07/09/2013-------Lifting Conditions Filed

07/12/2013-------NOA received

10/01/2013-------Approval Date

10/15/2013-------Ten Year Green Card Received! Finally!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Quick question - wondering if someone can help me. So I met my fiance in India on my last visit and got engaged on the last day I was there. We took at lot of pictures that day too. My question is regarding proof of relationship and am wondering if what I have is enough or not. I am a dual citizen - Canadian and US. However, since my visa was attached to my Canadian passport, I traveled on my Canadian passport. As for the proof of me meeting her in India, I have pictures with date stamp and passport stamp on my Canadian passport. I was also thinking about including my itinerary as one of the proofs. What else should I include as the proof? And in the cover letter, should I explain why I traveled on my Canadian passport and not US?

Any help would be appreciated.

No special note is required. I personally travelled to the US on my UK passport (because I was in the UK when I travelled to the US) but applied for the fiancee visa using my Australian passport because I was back in Australia when I applied for the K1. I had NO issues and had to issue NO explanation. In fact at my interview when I offered my UK passport to be looked at she told me it wasn't required or necessary and didn't bother with it.

For my proof of meeting I simply included a copy of the front page of my UK passport (showing it was a UK passport), UK bio page and stamp of entry into the US. I also included my itinerary, ticket stubs and photos (4 or something I think). You'll have no issue if you do the same thing. Of course you'll need to be sure to include your US citizen info for proof of US citizenship but for proof of meeting the previous is sufficient. I was approved without RFE if that helps.

Basically for the K1 process you need to be a US citizen (check!) you need to prove meeting and they don't care how you do that, just that you do. So you were travelling on your Canadian passport, no biggie. Just do what I wrote above and you should be more than fine.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
But is it legal to carry two passports?

For the US yes. Some countries don't allow dual citizenship. Here's a list: http://www.800citizen.com/dualCitizenship.htm

Australia, the UK and the US for instance allow dual citizenship. I already have UK and Aussie and when the time comes I'll be permitted US as well. The US will allow you dual (or multi) but you need to check your countries requirements because you could lose your home countries citizenship just by getting US. Of course no-one tells your home country you have US citizenship but sometimes you accidentally reveal it. There have been situations where people have hidden the fact they have US passport from their country (that don't allow dual) and they have been arrested when they entered their home country for carrying a "false" passport... see it seems that by getting the US passport they voided their home passport and somehow their home country was made aware of it and they were locked up. I never saw what came of it though.

Anyway, long story short, US allows dual, check your home countries requirements otherwise you could end up in trouble.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Always remember that the US sees you as a US citizen ONLY. While they do not bar you from being a citizen of other countries, it is of no concern to them. You are eligible to get a fiancee visa because you are a US citizen. Your passport stamp (which proves you were in India) is in your Canadian passport. No problem. Passport stamps aren't needed to prove you were there at all. Americans marrying Canadians, which seems pretty common, often have no passport stamps to prove they were in Canada. I go to Canada a couple times a week and have no passport stamps to show for it. Passport stamps are a pretty good indicator and people usually "keep them". Boarding passes get lost more often that passports. But the passport is not required to prove you were there anyway. They do not care HOW you got there or where the stamp was placed. It proves you were there. Include a letter of explanation if you want and a copy of the entire passport so they know it is yours. Should be no problem.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.